šŸ”« PVP in Boundless Poll

what if it no one ever bothers you with it ?

I personally do not like football, because itā€™s incredibly boring, I never play it, no one forces me to, it is not expected of me, but I donā€™t mind if others play.
I mean there are various degrees of pvp. if we had something like a ā€˜pvp control blockā€™ that us used to setup a pvp match (battle royale, teams, capture the flagā€¦), players can join on their own if they want, then they spend some fun times throwing stuff at each other. ( and if there is no item that can be only obtained by pvp) I donā€™t see how this could affect anyone who doesnā€™t like to participate in it

5 Likes

To me, it actually stands out as a poor choice. If the devs actually listened to the ā€œNot in my back yard, stick it on creativeā€ calls littered throughout the forums (for pretty much every feature recently), weā€™d be pushing almost all activity to creative servers. Without a much bigger playerbase, thatā€™s just going to further emphasise the limited number of players Boundless has.

In fairness, most activities added to RS over the years get a few months/years of novelty value and then pretty much die of. Last time I tried to do Stealing Creation, you had to be on a specific world, and in a specific chat lobby just to get enough people to get a game of it going. I donā€™t think a likely decline after the initial interest should be used too strongly to determine whether a feature should be added.

I voteā€¦ I dont want PVP but I donā€™t mind like minigames type PVP

Iā€™d try it, but on one condition: no bows or bombs. I want a slap match.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing, than realized he meant raiding as in raiding someone home/base.

I voted i donā€™t want PvP, but Iā€™d be happy with PvP beacons or ā€˜arenasā€™ where it is clear youā€™re in a PvP zone and can leave if you wish.
It would give the mini game side of things such potential! While keeping my peaceful landscapeā€¦ well, peaceful :slight_smile:

Edit: changed my vote to the beacon one :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

A few of us that want pvp only on creative worlds arenā€™t saying that to hide pvp, but see it as the only real way to do it other than dueling. Scripting minigames would add some serious creativity and enjoyment instead of how bad the current fighting mechanisms are in the game for pvp. It would let the community develop complex activities while the devs still focus on making the game.

Lets be honest here, @Havok40k was dead on the money pointing out the combat in the game needs a complete rework. As someone who loves competitive skill based pvp, this game doesnā€™t have the potential for it at the moment.

4 Likes

But there are so many other ways to do PvP. Other games literally have a character toggle that turns it on for that character. That gives people the available of open world PVP in the current space without forcing it on anyone.

Agreed. So much so that I wrote as much in my first post in this topic. But that shouldnā€™t be a reason to make it PvP only. It should be a reason to revamp combat (which would positively affect both PvE and PvP).

2 Likes

Well, we are now at the point of waiting for a revamp for anything, unfortunately. There doesnā€™t seem to be scripting on creative worlds right now.

Once they do the revamp, we could see a toggle, but I feel that would be a pretty lame solution for what they have the potential to create. Plus they would have to balance all PvE and PvP content, which is a lot of work for any studio. With the new ā€œcreativeā€ UI, they have shown they can make UIā€™s based on planet types and could easily make PvP minigames that allow them to put everyone on an even playing field. I would love to see creative solutions to PvP instead of a ā€œmehā€ response to appease people. Looking at Minecraft mini-games on youtube gives me plethra of ideas on how we could do a lot better here.

What I donā€™t want to see is the further degradation of the community by adding in a bunch of PvP elitists who tear apart anyone who isnā€™t running around in PvP mode. There are always a few that feel the need to belittle those who donā€™t make themselves easy prey or donā€™t enjoy that type of game style. Iā€™d say its an edge case, but weā€™ve all played PvP games and it happens on every single one of them between the PvP and PvE folks. It might sound bad, but I donā€™t think a portion of the community has thick enough skin to deal with it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not against the mini-games people want to make, or some competitive activities.

I donā€™t want to see any sort of PVP added thatā€™s fighting one on one or in teams.

Not ā€˜paintballā€™ or special weapons or any of it. ESPECIALLY not a challenge system that allows you to challenge random other players. And arenas, PVP beacons/planets, or even a system that allows you to opt in/out of being challengable allow the same issue.

ā€œFight Me!ā€

ā€œCome on, Fight ME!ā€

ā€œ@#$%@#% letā€™s fightā€

ā€œCā€™mon Iā€™m bored donā€™t be a @#$#@ come fight meā€

ā€œWTF is your Problemā€

ā€œTurn duelling on / just click yes cā€™mon letā€™s fightā€

ā€œFight Meā€

ā€œItā€™s just a game come on Iā€™ll kick your @#$ā€

ā€œyou @#$@#$ @#$@# What are you scared?ā€

ā€œLoser letā€™s fightā€

f#$% ETCETERA ā€¦

Insert as many instances of ā€œcome to the arenaā€ or ā€œcome to the pvp planetā€ or " < dueling challenge pops up> " as you like.

My Thoughts Exactly. Except itā€™s not an edge case IMO itā€™s happened to some extent in every open world Iā€™ve played with PVP. If not to me then to someone near enough for me to watch it happen.

Iā€™ve seen snowball fights suggested but you really only want to tell your players ā€œYou Died of Embarrassmentā€ so many times,. People will get tired of receiving random derogatory messages and quit over it.

Nothing that allows or encourages randos to come up to me while Iā€™m doing my thing and actually interfere please and thank you. Iā€™ve been bomb-griefed on hunts as many of us have but luckily the game doesnā€™t offer or encourage conflict enough to make this a regular thing while weā€™re out mining, farming, or whatever.

This is something else you can expect to see if you invite in a bored and PVP-focused demographic. If they canā€™t kill you provide you with any direct debuffs or harm theyā€™ll just take to random griefing for laughs.

Call me a pessimist, thatā€™s ok I am. But for these reasons Iā€™m very happy that boundless doesnā€™t offer any ā€œreal PVP experienceā€ or have any systems to encourage actual inter-player combat.

3 Likes

Wow, I think youā€™re over thinking that a bit tbh. Every single one of those problems can be sorted by simply blacklisting anyone who would act that way, then you wonā€™t have to deal with them?

And the people who would do that has to be an extremely low %, also that would be considered harassment so just report them.

I think this reasoning (not just voiced by yourself) is a way to ā€˜scareā€™ people into being opposed to some sort of PvP addition <-- my opinion

4 Likes

The rant is a little strong. Sure. Iā€™ve passed the thread a few times and here it was at the top of updated again today and I decided to say my piece again, as I have in other threads on this topic.

I have dealt with this in multiple games, and watched my (then young) children deal with it as well. Ranging from throwaway asian grinders to extremely high end, adult oriented (real cash on the line) open worlds.

This still puts the onus on me.

Again. My option is to ā€œjust deal with itā€ or create likely fruitless reports to an automated reporting system (again spending time).

Not at all. I mean, Iā€™m not trying to create fear or whatever. Itā€™s an anecdotal report of my actual, personal experiences in similar situations/systems to what people are describing here.

Thereā€™s not even any need to exaggerate. Iā€™ve literally seen kids brought to tears over this behavior, and left games entirely because of it.

3 Likes

I dont think there would be a lot fighting in a pvp type mini game. Dodge bombs we are treat each other with respect.

2 Likes

Well, yeh. When you join a game on, say, Overwatch and there is someone screaming down a 5 dollar microphone calling you a noob, the onus is on you to click mute. In Boundless, do the same.

Iā€™d argue that most younger people would rather like PvP elements in games. Kids cry about loads of stuff, the onus is on the parents to monitor the kids gaming and deal with anything that needs dealing with - by parental control, black listing and teaching their kids how to deal with trolls in general.

Saying that having PvP (in whatever way would be best) added to Boundless would be a negative is a perfectly fine opinion to have, but it is a wrong thing to state as fact (not saying you have stated it as a fact). There is a tournament in Minecraft going on now called Minecraft Championship (Minecraft Monday) which is a bunch of mini games some of which are PvP based, it pulls in hundereds and thousands of views each day its on - if we had the ability to create such events in Boundless, that would be a huge benefit to the games future.

1 Like

This is true. But I would never join overwatch, and thatā€™s just the matter of opinion/preference.

Same. If boundless had featured PVP I would have never paid for it. That may be a majority or a minority opinion, but I would have just moved on in my search for another persistent open world/sandbox.

Right we donā€™t disagree here. Just sharing my opinion, and giving my experience in similar situations as an explanation as to why I have such a strong opinion.

Dodge bombs or other events being figured out and implemented by players donā€™t attract this demographic to the game like having combat/PVP advertised as a core game system would. Again, IMO.

3 Likes

Most of us here treat people with respect because we all know each other. If the game grows, that wonā€™t be the case. Its easily to write off someone if you donā€™t know them, and its even easier to treat people like they are less than human if you can simply ignore them as one in the crowd. Iā€™ve put in 2000 hours on Ark and tens of thousands of hours in eve online, and there are some amazing builders and grinders in both, but the pvp vs pve fights can get dirty.

@Ovis The developers will have to be careful if they ever plan on putting in pvp because unlike minecraft or ark, we are all in the same server. You canā€™t really leave when you make someone upset and you canā€™t expect people to act rationally. Iā€™ve watched people get their buddies to camp individuals for weeks inside of a space station on Eve in high sec just because they didnā€™t like having someone call out their gank squad was there in local chat. Then again, Iā€™ve also seen people here use plotting as pvp, which might have had a much more severe effect on our player base than any of us know.

4 Likes

You have to be realistic tho, in what universe would the devs make Boundless open world pvp lol. It would obviously be highly restricted and opt in. Any other presumptions are just ridiculous

I donā€™t think itā€™s coming at all outside of the form of minigames, and not within the next year or more.

Yeh hopefully not, mini games and after already promised features is my hope

1 Like

Gonna apologize in advance, as I know this is a long-winded post here.

I think this specific piece touches upon where the community is split. Overall from what Iā€™ve seen, about half of the playerbase does not want PvP worlds or content. Others (myself included) wouldnā€™t mind PvP minigames, as long as there are proper safety checks in place.

Originally I was going to mention some specific games which had different PvP systems and why they worked or failed, but thereā€™s one similarity in all the ones Iā€™ve played that have failed, are failing, or will fail soon.

For open-world PvP, it all comes down to guilds/clans/alliances. The bigger they are, the more power they exert over the PvP experience. In some games, they donā€™t just control an area, they control the playerbase. Look at Eve Online or Albion Online. New players in those games have 2 options thanks to open-world PvP in them: join a large group or donā€™t play at all.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I support PvP for the sake of minigames. Iā€™m more concerned about exploits and bullying that could occur as a result of poor implementation. There needs to be some clear cut implementation plans before a PvP suggestion can go through.

If there are PvP worlds: (Mind you, these are just a few)

• What restrictions are imposed on players bringing in their own gear?
  • What is the penalty for dying?
  • Will we need a PvP specific Code of Conduct?
  • What measures will be in place to prevent the luring of unsuspecting players into a PvP world? This is a BIG issue in a number of games with PvP areas.

If there are PvP minigames: (These would be a little more generic than above)

• Again, gear restrictions?
  • Need to make certain there is no death penalty after, as this is a minigame.
  • How to prevent builders from using the minigame area to not get hit with the death penalty if they accidentally die from falling?
    (I suggest making building impossible with PvP toggle on personally, but there are minigames that would involve a building phaseā€¦)
  • What happens if someone accidentally leaves the beacon area and dies from the toxic debuff? This was an issue in RuneScape with Player Owned Houses that led to hundreds, if not thousands, of people getting scammed.

PvP beacons not for minigames shouldnā€™t exist in my opinion, so I wonā€™t go into detail there.

Again, sorry for the long-winded post, but I just would rather we as a community know what we want rather than some partially thought out, broken system.

1 Like