Question about oort amalgam

I agree the use case is very limited, and because of it the amalgam is just a curiosity for 99% of the playerbase. Rarely you actually need it, so the demand is really low, it doesn’t really offer enough benefit in a normal use case to justify spending all those resources and losing efficiency at the same time.

2 Likes

Thank you Mayumichi-san. That is the point it has basically no use other than being shiny and rare.
You invest more to get less in return.

3 Likes

It’s not like it’s … the rarest drop in the game … right?

1 Like

T7 only so I mean pretty rare

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it IS the rarest item in the game.

2 Likes

In my perception or the reason I don’t use it, is because its loss in efficiency AND rare extra ingredient.
(Plus oort is already hard to get if you don’t hunt. (because of time/priority issues))

To me it would be an ok deal if it would be split into 2 recipes:

• Just from oort shards: ~10% efficiency loss. (Quick and dirty / have plenty of oort / Don’t care about exos / omg holiday already starts tomorrow)
  • Shards + Ichor (as catalyst?): no efficiency loss. (“Buying” more precision by using additional rare ingredients / more sophisticated recipe / more expensive, but not in terms of oort)

(Of course, since you can buy and sell everything every coin spend on buying Ichor or not selling Ichor could always be converted into oort, so it’s only a perception thing rather then a mathematical or economical change)

5 Likes

Well, I’m not so sure. If I only have a 10% loss in efficiency, and I sell it for 2x. Then I believe I still earn 80% more per shard.

But my math is a bit rusty.

Since I dont have portals, and I’m just a hunter/miner/gatherer everything I do is profit over the cost of forged tools, brews, and food. So I think this would cover my costs and allow me enough coin to continue buying items for my build, but also saving portal users money. It’s really a win win in my eyes.

Makes me more coin, and saves portal user coin

Entire time I’m reading these I’m hearing it in Cartmans sad voice.

2 Likes

I guess it comes down to either the devs are willing to look at it or it remains pointless to everybody except that one guy.

Why buy two hamburgers that have to be eaten within 3 days when you can have one hamburger that stays fresh for 7?

You’re forgetting that to craft amalgam you’re going to need to use > 3x the shards.

Example:
To craft 300 normal shards worth of amalgam (100 amalgam) you’ll need to use 324 shards. Those 324 shards were worth 4860c (@15c each). You now have 100 amalgam, if you sell those @30c each (2x the shard price) you’ll have 3000c, which is way less than just the shards would’ve sold for and you had to use ichor, spark possibly buy coils too.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that, I was way off

So I’d have to sell for 3.24x to break even to normal sales. Which would be more expensive for portal users :confused:

@james are you able to confirm this?

Which I guess isn’t terrible for 3x time, but it’s a break even for hunters and a loss for portal users. :confused:

I think it is good. I don’t want players to be encouraged to use the fuel for longer extension. If a becomes inactive I prefer see it close down as fast as possible then that someone stuffed it full the last day the person played and it’s open for an other 6 months ( dramatic example) 2 to 4 weeks is reasonable to let a portal open. If you aren’t on for weeks I don’t think you can be considered an active player and it’s I assume expensive to keep it open. If you want less maintaining then Use a smaller portal xd I mean a 2 oorthshard per hour portal can stay open for 20 days.

I would think it would make more sense for ichor to make oort 10% or more effective, not 10% less effective. It’s still a rare resource that takes a lot of resources to gather.

Would this not be a balanced option?

Basing it on hunter costs (food, tools, brews, portal cost, revives) instead of crafting costs?

@james

Sorry guys, my math is sketchy, if anyone thinks it is viable please add on

The concern with this is that if it’s the most efficient way to fuel portals then minmaxers will feel compelled to only fuel their portals this way. They’ll then feel compelled to grind meteorites on the high level worlds for the mats. This would lead to the feeling of grind.

As configured it was supposed to be an option for higher end players who were doing meteorites on the high level worlds.

6 Likes

Okay, understandable. What if you increased the # of oort dropped on t7 to encourage t7 hunts for exos so that people get ichor as a by product, and the oort is the primary reason for hunting on t7?

Would this lower the grind feel? By giving more oort for hardest tier and also providing ichor as a secondary element.

Removing metals, fossils, and tech fragments?

This would also I think mitigate costs, but not for sure.

Edit: I’m just trying to brainstorm on what would get people to hunt on t7s, I think this would be a lot of fun

I think one reason no one wants to really use it is because there is no guarantee or consistency of EXO planets = the source. You would also need to be online at the same time that a group decides to hunt on an EXO. That’s a lot of ducks to get in a row. Portals are important. I think people would prefer to use a trustworthy, consistent method - which for now, is plain ole oort shards.

1 Like

Level 7 meteorites already drop more Oort + give more XP on completion + give more creature drops + XP.

But it’s up to players if they want to grind meteorites on easy worlds or taken on a harder challenge on harder worlds.

3 Likes

Oh okay, thanks for the info. I didn’t know they dropped more. Do we have a chart for oort drops for t7?

Last time i soloed one (lvl 2 t7 umbris) I got: 8 oort, 6 meteoric ichor and a single piece of umbris. (took 45 minutes) Not a good investment.

It is true that you get the ichor, but the mobs are op in a way that I could kill 4 t5 mobs instead of 1 t7 of the same level elite and get the same mob loot and xp with far less effort.

1 Like

James-san if you introduce a high level fuel that costs fuel it’s just not going to work. No one will invest a lot of time just to save a lesser amount of time on upkeep.

1 Like