Question for Miner's

So I’m trying to figure out if this is normal, thank you in advance for any replies below.

I made my way to the middle of a diamond hotspot on Alycon and dropped a beacon so I knew actually where the “chunk” was.

I then cleared the chunk from altitude 20 down to mantle and found 6 diamonds.

I also noticed the atlas still glowed bright in that spot after I found those 6 diamonds.

I’m curious about the atlas because if I am chopping a glowing mushroom the hot spot will clearly not show on the atlas anymore.

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

The atlas doesn’t update in real time. It takes awhile. Sometimes you have to get a fresh atlas & open it to get an up-to-date view of resources.

Not since the last patch tho…

1 Like

I think diamonds can spawn from Depth 30 and below

I harvest exotic earthyams on Alycon also and I can see the hotspots disappear as I collect them.

I guess I’m wondering if something screwy might be going on with the atlas since diamonds come from blocks and yams come from plants.

Oops when I posted earlier I forgot to mention that I went back and cleared from altitude 20 up to 38.

I may be wrong but I interpreted it as only surface resources were going to update in that manner

then maybe its because the resolution of the atlas is a little bad and spots from adjacent chucks will bleed over in to the area you cleared, just a little bit.

After they put out the new updates, the amount of effort it took me to make the diamond hot spots start to dim in one chunk, was quite an amount. i tested it to see if i could make a dark spot, i could not in the amount of time i wanted to try it for, i do not use the atlas for mining anymore inless i am mining in an area i dont typically mine in.

Thank you for the insight Trun, do you think getting 6 gems in one chunk is about average? I only did one so not much info to go off.

You can find diamond all the way up to the high 30s. I occationwlly find it there on my way down.

its hard for me to say. because i dont noramly mine out the whole chunk,

i noramly mine at Depth 10, and with the control range i have on my character, when i look upward my hammer can reach up to Depth 21? then if I have time i may or may not come back later for another pass at depth 5 a few hours later.

so for me, typically the diamonds from Depth 0 to 9, and 23/24 and higher remain untouched

This is incorrect. I was able to reduce the hot spot for diamond after some effort. but not remove it.

I’d say generally stick to the 17’ish and below depths, can go a little higher but too high and you’ll clear a football field just for one diamond.

~ this. Each chunk is less than 1 pixel (288x288 chunks but texture is 256x256), and in addition it is bicubic filtered in-shader to make it nice and smooth so making a single chunk go ‘black’ is not generally enough to make a hot-spot visually dissapear, but only to dim it. (surface resources its easy to remove a hot-spot since they are comparatively sparse)

8 Likes

Thank you for the explanation! This makes more sense to me and it’s good to know the atlas is working as intended for underground resources.

Thanks for providing more detail in to how this works.

lol i guess im leaving too many behind then haha

Ok so I just thought of another question.

Let’s say I beacon an area that I found diamonds in.

Does that reduce the amount of diamonds on the planet or do they spawn somewhere else to maintain the same numbers?

Reduces, you removed the diamonds, but also the ‘space for resources’ too

that is interesting! Thank you for the quick reply!