Race Heights Issues

Can the devs say when they can show off the character models for the different heights? Maybe that could put me at ease? That way they can get more suggestions, it’s still being developed I mean nothing is set in stone if they are gonna be the 1 2 3 block heights or just one standard height or not.

Giraffes are cute.

I personally would like atmost a 1/2 block difference in height for races.

3 Likes

I agree, 1 block seems too short and 3 blocks seem too tall. That might help to not make it so extreme in difference.

We’ll have to wait till Monday and see if @ben or @james can give us some information or not. At this point it’s all up in the air.

Right now we’re planning for all the races to effectively be the same height. There’s various knock-ons from the prototype we’re not happy with at the moment. Hope to share more on races soon.

6 Likes

Thank you @ben for getting in touch with us. :smiley: I’m so looking forward to it.

Great news!

Please do :slight_smile: Or is it Soon™?

:frowning: i liked the idea of diffrent hights

1 Like

By soon, we’re talking the release date of Half Life 3?

He said, effectively be the same height, he could mean there will be a slider for a little height difference if anything.

Depending on the combat system they make. if there’s different height in races it might make certaint races are better then the others in pvp and other things

Well the halfing/hobbit is half the hight of a human so…
Seriously you can find tons of fantasy races that does not fit into a height of 1 to 2 meters.

Most poeple in fantasy settings is actually only around 1.4-1.7 blocks heigh when talking humans and elves and such.

not even the orc reaches the height of 2 meters. (Ok it can if you feed it well enough but a medium sized orc in for example pathfinder is around 1.85 meters or 1.85 blocks…

First of quite a lot players are probably going to be 3 blocks tall because a lot of people choose based on look and not for stats, that would mean that people very quickly would learn to make houses where everyone is included.

Secondly it is always possible to catch people inside your house no matter their height (Though 1 block tal people would have an easier time escaping before they where done doing it)

Damn I liked the idea of height difference in races :frowning:

Yeah hat would mean a balancing problem in pvp. Hmm how to solve that?

you cant. smaller race = smaller hitbox.which is why i dislike height difference. especially since it seems we wont even have hard or softlock combat.

i would prefer to have races roughly the same height too, i said it back then, the gap is too big if it goes from 1 to 3 blocks. so overall i just completely disagree with different race heights in this sense, personally it wouldnt give me freedom, actually quite the opposite, i would feel like i was forced to play a certain race if i just wanted the standard height race. while if they were all equally high i could enjoy and focus more on the visual style of my character and race.

3 Likes

Well actually you can I have seen it done before but it requires tons i say tons of tweaking when talking character speed, helath, armor, hit rate and everyother damn combat factor in the game.

The problem with everyone haveing the same hitbox is that it restricts character creation a lot like insane amounts because everyone need to be roughly the same height and width. Else they are going to have a hitbox outside the characters actual form. Whcich just looks stupid.

Cough
https://forum.oortonline.com/t/oort-online-race-suggestions/192/86?u=thorbjorn42gbf
Cough

I still dont want difference in heights, not even in races, if you do that then most will just pick the smallest, again for the smallest hitbox.

i love customization and height/size sliders, but in this game i want it to stay completely away from that, because it is the game that it is, namely voxel based, height makes a huge difference.

so i personally would just prefer to have the same heights and then have more focus on actual character and looks,

but again its just personal preference.

1 Like

If we are basing the combat on skill the short races would actually have a harder timer hitting the head of other character and their head would be somewaht easier to hit.

Of course :slight_smile:

And I actaully see both sides in the argument but the “I want different sized races” is hugely underrepresented, so I decided to take this side :slight_smile:

So did we, it makes for interesting difference in how different players/races build. It’s not 100% off the table though, I just wouldn’t expect it for release 1.

6 Likes

Here is a big point though everyone here seems to be talking about pvp etc, whenever i play mmos i always see the pvpers play the same race for example in ESO most pick dark elf, but im not a pvper i stay away from that area i like to play argonians, so what about the builders, the miners etc this topic seems to be all about the pvp with no roleplay or visuals mainly just pvp.

I would love one block heights in my dwarfs, gnomes, fairys etc it will mean i can have speed and smaller hit area so id become a dps aswell as being able to mine faster but at the same time i may be missing alot of ores. i would also probably have less health but id be fast. (these may range from 1 block to 1.5 blocks so they could fit in the space of 3 slabs)

I would love two block heights in my Humans, Feline Races, Reptile Races as i will have average speed, and average health so i’m a good all around character i have alot of view but not as much as the taller race and ill have a decent carry weight and be better for wearing certain armors. (these may range from 1.6 blocks to 2 blocks high)

But then i have my tall guys my Tanks, My Labourers, My Builders, My Bodyguards. these could be the Giants, The Ogres etc But with this i may lose out on speed but guess what ill have more health more carry weight as to the dwarfs that cant carry so much, i am the guy who takes all the damage while my little dwarf charges and does lots of damage, i make a effective player on the team in the pvp area, but in pve i am the guy who carrys all the stuff since have more carry weight, i may be a bit slow but i also have a better view can can see things coming. (These may range from 2 blocks - 2.5 blocks in height)

1 Like

Why not just make taller races able to crouch or crawl into one block high areas if necessary. I think that would allow balance, as well as make the shorter/taller races more fun in interactions. Like Gandalf when he visits Bilbo in the Hobbit. He’s taller than Bilbo and all the dwarfs, but it adds a kind of comical effect.