Red Gleam Griefing

i mean I’m not 100 % aposed to the idea just want to look at it from all angles.

a good report system is needed and it might be a good plan to test such a system before 1.0

2 Likes

Easy solution would be to add gleam into the resource regen and just have it spawn like any other resource seam (obviously doesn’t help now, but would be better for future playability!).

10 Likes

@Stretchious that good call. still make it rare but not so rare! good for the economy.

3 Likes

I don’t see any reason for listing alts/mains personally. Maybe the person has an alt for reasons they don’t want linked to other accounts. People can use that information for good and bad.

If people are doing things to cause problems for others we just have an admin removal process or some other way. It doesn’t matter if it is an alt or main.

In regards to blocking roads… maybe they wanted to build an extension and didn’t. Who knows. Sometimes people do stuff that isn’t intended to harm people and comes off as bad behavior. I didn’t see those situations but I try my best to believe everyone was doing it with a good intention behind it. Continued bad actions will show their true intent.

We just need a system to communicate with players and settle land disputes or bad actions that affect the community. We should be able to resolve everything in a civil nature in the game.

If people continue to act bad, I am sure we all can build a huge prison and have the devs make a system where they only spawn in their cell… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Say this was the only source of red gleam in the entire game, then it’s clearly too limited. I don’t actually mind a player monopolising a location or resource - after all this is what plots do. But there needs to be an alternative for others, either on another world or else where on the same world. I would guess there are more sources of red gleam in the world we just need to find them.

My first thought though is to make sure that when a world is generated it reports the number of different blocks used. If any of are small then we need to change the biome configs. Given there are likely ~1 billion blocks per world I would image we want all counts to be in the many thousands.

Roads - I’m still unsure about roads. Ultimately to protect something it needs to be claimed. (Protect from regen and malice players.) How important are roads outside of player made towns? Players seem to create Portal within worlds. Are roads that important?

Blocking - Maybe the duration of beacon fuel also needs to be linked to prestige?

Don’t really have a great answer to these points at the moment. Keen to hear what everyone thinks.

6 Likes

Alternatively, have beacon fuel efficiency linked to prestige. The higher prestige a beacon reaches, the less fuel required to fuel it. This way, beacons still keep the same duration, and players are actively encouraged to raise their beacon’s prestige rating.

This could be done with reasonable prestige milestones. 500, 1000, 10,000, 100,000, etc. This would have the added benefit of making it more costly to maintain an empty beacon forever, as well as encouraging players to develop their holdings rather than place dozens of empty plots.

9 Likes

Yah this was what I was thinking

This certainly would solve some of the other things brought in a discussion from another thread where I was asking about beacon timing, etc.

All I would ask @james and the developers to also look at with what you just mentioned is adding a time component as well… Sometimes you do need to put a few plots down why you consider things like where to live or something you want to build next month and maybe initially it isn’t that expensive. But if you keep refueling the plot a few times and prestige doesn’t grow at least to a few hundred or something then the fuel cost component starts to set it.

Also there would need to be a balance for smaller numbers. Some of us will never build a big new cathedral factorium on an ice berg like “some of us are” :slight_smile: and might want smaller houses all over the place at 2-10k prestige. I shouldn’t have to pay lots of fuel because of that. But if I have a dead plot for months on end that never changes then it is a fair to expect more fuel to keep it “reserved” within reason.

4 Likes

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

But it IS coming along nicely :smiley:

15 Likes

Yes very nice and awesomorium!

1 Like

Yikes, you guys, put down the torches & pitchforks for a sec. A couple points as devil’s advocate:

• the idea of “Find a rich resource deposit and claim it before anyone else” is listed as a feature, and on the front page of the game’s website, so it’s hardly fair to claim that it’s griefing. (You can argue about that feature, but that’s a different point!)

• at this state of the game, as @Xaldafax pointed out, information is scattered and the player could simply not have known. Easy enough to imagine someone beaconing the area without realizing they’d stop regen, or that red gleam is rare, or that beaconing a rarity would be considered impolite, unscrupulous, jagwagon-ish (new fave word, thanks @Jeffrotheswell!) etc.

• say the player name had been someone you recognized. What would you have done, exactly? How would it have helped to know the account tag?

For issues like this – the player-behavior part, not the resource spawning – come 1.0 I’d think we need two main in-game features: an account-wide mail or message system, and a way to report jagwagonry to the dev team.

(And a clear definition of what counts as “griefing”, which is actually an interesting problem in a game like this!)

On the resource-spawn side, though, I kind of like having super-rare resources. And I like the red gleam being on those flagpole thingies; it’s more fun than just having seams in the ground somehow. Maybe make it so the whole flagpole is the randomized spawn?

6 Likes

Holy geebus that looks awesome @Havok40k reminds me somewhat of Thief 2’s Mechanists catherdral!

2 Likes

Clearly they can’t know it’d stop respawn, otherwise it’s not even being done for coin. If they do know, then yes, it’s trolling :stuck_out_tongue:

But others have said that beacons have been put down at ends of roads, I can’t see that being by mistake.

Maybe it’s like people buy .com web address and then charging a fortune for them to be bought :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Wait wtf?

I’m new to the game and I thought when a chunk is reset the resources are placed randomly. Are you telling me that they always spawn in the same location?

Gleam is an exception to the rule, as it is a full block and not an item drop like ores or fossils. It follows the same regen rules as tree trunks or stone.

2 Likes

Resources (ores, fossils) are regenerated semi-randomly.
Blocks are regenerated as originally generated.

Resources (at the moment) are materials within blocks.

Gleam is a block and not a resource.

4 Likes

The beauty of simplicity.

On similar behaviors: I met this player while playing testing a few months back (right after progression had been introduced). I managed to land on the moon after grinding for a couple of weeks and I looked for those tall sedimentary rock mountains that are great resource of coal and tech. I located some 8-10 of them and one of them was particularly reach in tech devices and all - but around half of it was beaconed and tunnels were built in it. So, yeah it will happen cause it can happen and it’s ok. I agree with possibility of claiming resourceful areas by a player.
However - that particular player hasn’t logged back in and used the mountain for weeks after I found it. Halls were exactly the same and tech devices spawned on surface were in the same spots.

So, yeah, main problem is not players’ trolling intentions (that can in most cases be only assumed) or their awareness of how regeneration work (claiming reach areas like that can be a sign of a player not understanding the mechanics here and thus hurting his own prospect of using resources long-term). Main problem is the players who try the game and drop it after a week or two and blocking areas for other people. If that kind of users can be differentiated from others and their beacons made disappear faster, that would be cool.

So: beacon time added to prestige (as James suggested) and prestige bound to how quick the game moves from sending low beacon fuel e-mails to removing the beacon and freeing the land?
Low prestige beacons not showing prestige growth over 10-20 days and showing lack of log-ins could trigger such beacons to be added to some kind of inactive user list and also being candidates to forced re-gen? I dont know. Thoughts? Ideas? How to make sure active players face as little inactive beacons blocking their expansion and at the same time protect less active players’ right to be away from the game for a while? How to know who is genuinely having RL-forced absence and who is just trolling away or not being interested in playing after their first try?

3 Likes

Hit the nail on the head. There’s so much refined red gleam in the game from exploits its hard to believe it’s super sparse with ~15 or so locations dotting the map.

Maybe adding something like the crystal structures in the background of the intro cave scene?
even if it was to add fake beams of light? for dramatic effect. Crystal structures like that in caves made of something that could be processed into gleam would be a nice reason for the player to explore caves outside the region where gems are located… this could even give the player a hint in the direction to go find said gems, more gleam crystal structures? then less gems in the area… or maybe, crystal structures starting to take on a different color? gems might be in the area… something like a bread crumbs… its just an idea…

yes and no… if its not attached to a larger build you have permissions on then sure.

3 Likes

First of all, that’s my house, yaaaay!(the purple one)
Second, I’ve been farming that spot for a while. I was pretty mad when I saw yesterday his/her cruel joke.
I don’t know how I’m gonna finish my tower now. :confused:
Here’s a little update: he/she removed his/her beacons but left the plots there and changed the white gleams to red gleams.

2 Likes