Regen Bombs, Botting and the Economy

Is there a programming or coding trick to shut down Botting? :thinking:
The problem with changing the gathering is you’re going to affect some aspects of the economy. I absolutely hate the forging part of the game but I am not calling for changes to it because it would negatively impact the game economy. It would also negatively impact players that are good at forging. I don’t bot. I can’t bot on PS4 and refuse to play on PC because I hate Windows. So I don’t think punishing players like me for those who do bot is fair.

With that said I leave you with a gem from the 80’s:
Mr. Roboto by Styx:

2 Likes

I ain’t reading all 121 comments but I have seen afk farmers. I even stood next to one with my loot sticks out. He didn’t seem to mind… . Cuz he wasn’t there.
It seem to me that the devs could fix the game to detect this and boot offenders. It’s simple. When doing this the clicks have to be exactly spaced out on time. When the game detects this so many times in a row (say 10) then it just sends them to sanctum.

7 Likes

How? Only thing it does is it just slows the progress of making forged stuff.

No. This would not work… too easy to write a script that uses variable timers.

2 Likes

It aint cheating if you dont do it yourself :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

But the script would have an exact pattern right? Detect the same pattern and it boots you.
Just throwing out ideas.

1 Like

It’s never wrong to cheat a cheater. Of corst im Neutral good.

4 Likes

We just say it goes to Munteen IV transfer station foundation.

3 Likes

I suppose anything is possible. To be honest, this problem is so far down on my concern list I’d much rather devs focus on fleshing out the game then something like this.

You can write a script that runs for hours before restarting the pattern again. That’s not a rabbit worth chasing in the games current state imo. Lets get the game fleshed out more and added more, and then maybe before a big advert push in a year or two, they can focus on this sort of thing,

It just seems like wasted resources for a problem they will never fix without removing regen as it is currently, which isn’t going to happen I dont think.

5 Likes

I stood next to a botter and got 600 shimmering orbs in less than 10 minutes, easy money

2 Likes

Wow i know nothing about botting.
So maybe the answer is when you see someone botting just stand there and collect there stuff. If they emediatly notice you there not botting.
Fun thought but not my style

1 Like

Yea I get it. Everyone has their own form of entertainment they enjoy. Some like writing scripts and adding to their gameplay, others enjoy the game as it has been designed.

2 Likes

is this a justification?

1 Like

To me it doesnt matter. You can call it whatever you want. A fact. A justification. An opinion.

If I spend money on something, I’m going to enjoy it. If scripting and modding makes it more fun to me, Im going to do it. If the devs dont want that, they can handle whatever they need to handle. I’m sure those doing these things you’re talking about see it the same way.

It’s why I said in my initial post figuring out why people are doing it is more important than stopping them from doing it. If you can take away the thing that is causing them to want to do this thing that you see as harmful, then fixing that process is more effective than trying to play whackamole on players when they come up with new/better ways of gaming the system. This is the rabbit chase I was referring to being too costly for devs to chase at the expense of them adding more and fleshing out the game.

Now I don’t do any of this in Boundless simply because I’ve never felt the need. I have certainly done it in another games. If I ran in to something in Boundless that made me feel the need to use a script though I certainly would. I’m not a gaming purist. Ive never seen any software a game developer has created as finished product. Creative players add to things the devs provide and make things better and fun and etc.

Right now I just forum lurk and log in to check beacon timers. Im more concerned with actual content being added than folks who are bored of tedious grinding so they turn to running scripts. If you think that’s a horrible thing, that’s fine. I just don’t and won’t.

3 Likes

:eyes:

Boundless is an MMO, which obviously stands for Msingle Mplayer Ogame, where botting, afking and using scripts doesn’t effect other people or the game.

1 Like

Unfortunately you took my comment in the wrong manner. Sure I am pushing more links between creative and public - like creative portals and other ways to ensure people can come and go between both environments as easily as possible. But, I have no plans to promote exploits or other things that break the game.

What I am talking about is removing rarity around items to make them easier to obtain. If someone can sit there for a while and walk away with 10s or 100s of smart stacks of gleam or another item because they are abusing regen bombs then it is almost like creative mode in people being able to generate obscene amounts of resources. That is why I want that to go away - it is clear and simple abuse of a system and it is ridiculous for people to complain about “the economy” when things like this break that as well.

Instead just remove rarity around items and make it a bit simpler for people to obtain without such a grind. Example? No reason we need such a hard time to get any color we want or have to do such high level stuff around making colors. Simplify that area so it is easier to obtain and just give people the ability to get the colors they want.

I just like clear and clean systems with simple rules. Not ones where some things are impossible to do and get while others are a breeze just because someone sits there and takes advantage of a game mechanic. The “all over the place” design we have around progression, rarity, complexity, etc I think hurts more than just simple systems and specific things for each of the game models.

At the end of the day I want the game simpler an easier for people to get the things they need. I want an economy tied to “services” not “resources.” I want people to have to work some for the stuff they do but not hard or be killed. Make more areas accessible to people and put a different approach to progression that is based on skills or teamwork or stuff. People only like regen bombs for the use of getting stuff - make that easier and we can stop arguing on whether regen bombs are of value. They should have stuck exactly like first proposed - allow the world to regen while ignoring the “traffic stop” rule.

Lastly I feel time for development should be fixing game systems and game play not focusing on how people hack the game (mostly) because people will always find ways to cheat the system. Just make the game work so that “cheating” and “abusing” things is not really of value.

2 Likes

Well done for replying and appreciate your honesty.

This is a topic for discussion and any side should be encouraged to put their viewpoint across…even if against popular opinion.

personally I’m against afk scripts but not against quality of life additions.
Don’t see afk regen bombers as being a pressing issue and certainly don’t see a reason to change a mechanic because of a minority. Also pretty much my attitude towards the upcoming compactness update.

2 Likes

New item/craft you say.

Im gonna get my auto clicker right now… (shouts at Ace_001; who isn’t gonna sleep for a few days?)

:joy::rofl::joy: PS4 can’t at least not that i know of.

I voted to keep em as they are. Mainly because I always keep avoiding farming resources until I really have to.
And i know you mean well but i for one don’t want to waist to much time finding new locations to quickly gather everything.

Maybe when i am further along with my main build ill spend more time on doing other stuff.

Don’t get me wrong I understand what you mean even if its possible to add it to the PS4 I wouldn’t even use it then if in away from my Ps4 for more then 15-20 minutes ill turn it off.

I’ve never seen a game that successfully achieved that. And I doubt that exists.

1 Like

Only way to stop botting is to just stop mod’s I am against botting. I think those people doing it have caused harm to the game. But saying that, I look at the stuff @georgegroeg is designing and it brings excitement to the game.its funny that someone can play and bot the game. But someone that designs new skins cannot bring it into the game and share .this to me makes no sense.

2 Likes