Release: 110 - Inverted Slopes Update

Here is the link.

Ok, some of the shaders failed to compile on your hardware. We will put a fix out in a hot fix update as soon as we can.

1 Like

Okay. Thank you so very much for the help! I look forward to trying out the update. :slight_smile:

You guys move fast o-o

1 Like

Should be fixed in https://forum.oortonline.com/t/release-110-8-hotfix/2156

Blocks are rendering now, thanks to the hotfix!

I quite enjoy the update. The inverted slopes are great for adding more detail to structures.

One thing that I feel is that the movement is still a bit too… strange. When you move and let go of the movement key, it still acts as though you are walking on ice, regardless of the block you are on. Just less than before. And when you press a movement key, it takes a moment for your character to actually move. These sorts make things in the game such as parkour really tough.

Just my two cents.

Most games has a bit of smoothness to the movement, minecraft for instance.
But the smoothness in OO might be a bit too much. I havent played with it a lot so I dont know.

To be honest, I don’t see how it would be, “too much”. Smoother movement, and more responsive controls really only add more to a game. In Oort Online, there will soon be many dangers to traveling the worlds, as well as PvP. I believe the movement should be as smooth as possible to give you complete control over your character, and to ensure that any silly mistakes resulting in death are completely your own fault, and not the less-than-completely-responsive controls.

I don’t like to compare this game to Minecraft, as many people - outside the Oort Online community - are already worried that it’s too much like Minecraft because it’s a voxel-based, randomly generated, first-person, open world. However, I believe that the smoothness of controlling your character in Minecraft should be carried over to Oort Online. @ben @dave @otherdevelopers? Thoughts? (Read my post before this one as well.

i see it as more realism, i havent played with it much either but what you call ‘‘control’’ is what some other people would call mechanical, if you get the same speed no matter the way you move and can move instantly, for me atleast i feels kinda arcadey.

i still think it should be changed so moving forward gives full speed but moving to the side and backwards will make you move slower. some will say ‘‘its not full control’’ and being able to move instantly works in some games (thinking of wildstar right now) but i would prefer to see more of a smite ish movement system, it feels clunky at first but it forces you to move a specific way or get punished, meaning you cant just run backwards kiting and doing dmg, but rather having to run away from the enemy to get full speed. but those are just my thoughts on the movement.

i see what you mean with slide, in my eyes it makes sense, have you ever tried running and then stopping? you dont lose all momentum at one point and instantly stop but rather low down and then stop.

1 Like

You make a good point on the realism aspect, and I understand where you’re coming from. And maybe the slight sliding that does occur should stay for that. It really all depends on where the developers want to add the realism, and where we should forgo it because it’s a video game.

I also agree that moving sideways and backwards SHOULD be a bit slower than forward. One thing I wasn’t saying though was that the slight build-up of speed when you move is an issue. That’s normal, and not an issue at all. I just mean that when you press a movement key, it actually takes a moment for the character to respond at all to the press. I think that’s the main issue.

Well, that, and something I haven’t talked about, which is the fact that moving the mouse makes you look around really strangely and slowly. I feel that more accurate mouse movements/control would also be MUCH more helpful, AND realistic.

Well…the early models make us look like slightly-blocky ThunderCats, so for me the definition of “realistic” is still largely up in the air.

You guys really could argue any tiny detail, lol

In terms of running backwards, I think that realistically I can run slightly slower than I can forwards, so I definitely agree with it having a different feel, but I would also like it to be not terribly slow, otherwise I would feel forced to always turn around otherwise I’m never going to make it that extra seven blocks back to place my item ;V

Going slowly backwards will not save you from the Mo’Pig!

Nor will running, we have only one hope… Hobble-Ram! Save us!

1 Like

Or give constructive feedback on a game that we love. Which is one of the main points of this forum. :wink:

The Oort Online community forum is not the Youtube comments section. Please, do not speak of it as such.

I saw that as lighthearted so i dont mind. i am a nitpicker, i dont mind getting seen as such.

2 Likes

Don’t take it as such, it gives me a’pleanty to read. That being said, I don’t see how it contributes to the topic at hand. Just because I don’t speculate on every tiny detail does not mean I don’t love this game as much as you do, I just don’t like to nitpick. :wink:

I think this is by far going to be my favorite building update for a while :smiley:

Incoming giant geometric crystals

THANK YOU DEVS

1 Like

I’m still seeing issues with block selection when above blocks at extreme angles

Repro:

• Build two blocks up
  • Stand on the top block, and use shift to hang over the edge slightly
  • if your cursor is towards the bottom of the bottom block (few pixels), your action will pass through the 2nd block to whatever is below it