Release 145 - Report issues here

How long does the “halt” last? Just curious since I forgot to beacon the tip of my house.

It’s to keep things sensible from a performance point of view.

If resources regenerated in a chunk that was only partially regenerated (again, ignoring beacons, they don’t count whatsoever as far as regeneration of the chunk or resources are concerned) and someone had lets say, placed a load of stone in the chunk, resources would end up regenerating inside of the user-placed stone that is flagged for regeneration which is doubly weird.

We can avoid that, but checking if a block is flagged for regeneration is not a super cheap process, and not something I’d want to throw into the resource regeneration logic as we want it to be as light as possible.

Even if we made the resource regeneration more complex to be able to avoid putting resources into blocks that will be regenerated, you’d still have equally weird behaviour where you could dig out the ground to where the resources are, extract the resources, and then when it regenerates you’d end up regenerating resources that are supposed to be ‘deep underground’ but are actually on the surface, because all of the surface that ‘used to be ontop of them’ is still dug out and you’d game the system that way too.

2 Likes

The current values (they absolutely are going to change) is that regeneration ‘starts’ once a chunk has not been visited (active player within a radius of aprox 60m) or modified in 24 hours. Once that time is up, the chunk starts to regenerate at what is currently a rather too quick rate imo (can’t remember the values off the top of my head here)

1 Like

I see, so in order to keep that area from regenerating I have to walk on it and also place/break a block or two?

just walking is enough

1 Like

Interesting bug I found. The Twisted trunks I was chopping in Elopor kept turning into the lustrous wood trunks from Berlyn.

Dropping the lustrous wood trunks then picking up the twisted wood trunks and then the lustrous wood trunks turned them all into twisted wood trunks.

Thanks for reporting the issue, we’ve logged the bug.