Release 158 - Report issues here

Here’s a video for the stacking bug that’s been talked about for a while:
http://sendvid.com/py82zw17

Watch all the way through and you’ll see how the items stack fine after a return to sanctum

1 Like

Creatures will usually disappear after you re-enter the world from the Sanctum, but your comments have been passed to the dev team.

The report issues thread like the one here is normally where all the bugs should ideally go, although there are those players who post bugs in separate threads, or post random bugs in discussions that are were not specifically aimed at talking about bugs. But they do get looked at eventually after we looked at the main bug threads.

1 Like

@onebitknightly and @Wichall

Continuing the discussion of the performance issues that occurred when you had several creatures on screen, when this happens again, could you turn on the debug information and just check if it FPS related issues rather than lag-related issues if possible? Even better, if you could create a video on Youtube or another video sharing site showing the performance issues, that would be very helpful.

I understand that the Devs might consider corpses disappearing a feature instead of a bug, but as a player killing and piling up dead bodies to then die (due to rubber banding or not). It feels like a bug when you respawn to find nothing to loot.

Not everything that happens in a game is usually considered a feature. In other cases, it just means that some aspects of the game are still being developed. But we do agree that dead creatures disappearing after re-entering a world from the Sanctum is not ideal, so it’s something we can look at.

The issue with recording videos of my lag is that recording videos impacts my performance and frame rate.

I almost always have the debug framrate on-screen whilst playing though and I can tell you that I have a consistent 28-30fps regardless of rubber banding or slow network warnings.

I’ve posted my network tests before and shown I have a decent connection. I even upgraded my router last month to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, my wireless access point is a Ubiquiti Unifi AP. I’m playing on a Mac book Pro using the built-in wireless card.

It a bit hard to work out everything from the video, but could you confirm the following?

From looking at the video, it looks like you created copper from 2 separate Furnaces and tried to combine them at 0:40, but couldn’t do so.

Then from 0:53 you tried to combine the separate pieces of copper using the smart stack from storage, but again it couldn’t be done.

Don’t worry if you can’t take a video for those reasons. But could you remember if the FPS took a hit during that situation with many creatures on screen?

So the video does go against what I said previously about items from “different furnaces” not combining, as this time I was able to combine them from different furnaces, you can see at 40 seconds in “Stack all of item here” pops up as it should.

However from 53 seconds in I could not “Stack all of item here” with copper from my storage as you say. The two new coppers stack together but not into the copper from storage.

Then at 1 minute 26ish you can see that after going into the sanctum, the copper all stacks together as it should.

No I don’t believe it did, pretty sure the FPS was at it’s usual 28ish, but I did have rubberbanding on mouse movement and walking, as well as creature movement and creature hits (both to me and to them).

I checked this and there doesn’t seem to any noticeable increase in rubberbanding. I only notice the FPS dropping when there were many creatures around. Does the amount of rubberbanding you’re experiencing definitely increases when many creatures were nearby, or was the rubberbanding just occurring consistently regardless of how many creatures were near you?

It’s very hard to say but the rubberbanding I experience is not consistent. When I experience it, it usually lasts anything from a few seconds up to a few minutes, then everything is fine until the next time it happens.

It could have been a coincidence that there were creatures and bodies around…

On the other hand it could be an issue that you guys won’t see because you’re getting less packet bottlenecks generally.

It would make sense to me that the creature movement/entity packets only bottleneck (causing rubberbanding) on certain connections with naturally higher packet loss, like WiFi.

Edit: Also I understand that I may get less lag if using a wired connection, but considering the “casual gamer” I’ve been assuming you guys want to know how it performs on non-optimal connections. I haven’t played any MMOs (post-beta) on this same setup and experienced rubberbanding on the scale I do in boundless. I do seem to get less rubberbanding on a wired connection but I don’t want to trail the cable across the room every time I play boundless, I don’t need to do this in other MMOs as I said.

With this example, did it happen every time? We can’t reproduce the issue as shown in the video. It does sound like you’re encountering the smart stacking bug now and again.

How long was the copper smart stack residing in storage prior to the issue occurring?

You can post the results of your lag issues here as well. Follow the instructions on the first post and list the results there.

It seems to happen every time but slightly different:

• some times the items from different furnaces won’t stack together
  • sometimes one item from one furnace will go into a storage stack but the item from the other furnace won’t
  • sometimes no items from any furnaces will stack together or into storage.

It’s always fixed after a sanctum visit/world reload.

Copper smart stack in the video had been in storage for a few days I think.

Had a bit on an issue late last night after going through a portal - think the server may have been in the process of dying .

I foolishly forgot to turn on the debug information before I took the screenshots … but it was by Jeffrotheswell portals

Here’s my game log though… hopefully that will shed some more light on what happened. All other worlds that I went to were working ok, just that location was a bit … screwy

It’s also possible to get trapped between portals (if you accidentally walk through before it’s loaded in fully) when there is a wall on the other side!!

2 Likes

No. The game shouldn’t allow you to transition a portal until it’s sufficient loaded. This is exactly why we have the Loading / Breakable stages to mask it.

However, I have seen weird stuff when players have placed blocks behind a portal - likely the exact location you’re experiencing. If you can share the location @vdragon can check for a debuggable reproducible.

It’s an existing open portal, but occurred when it’s still in it’s grey state before you can see the connecting location… this allowed me to walk to the other side of it… it then finished loading in, but only showed me a wall at the connecting location.

Location info is on the screenshot (I’m sufficiently awake enough to remember to show it this time :slight_smile: )

Luckily it’s a low ceiling, so I just returned to sanctum and am now placed outside, but I can imagine this being a issue for others at some point

3 Likes

There is a bug in calculating playtime in relation to save a steam pad setting. I tried to upload a new setting (which you have to be using for at least 15 mins before you can save it open for all ppl) but it doesnt matter how long I played: The confiq of steam still said “you have to play at least 15 mins with your setting”. I even tried to play over an hour (without entering the menue) but it didn’t helped.