Release 196: Meteorite Lives!

I’m don’t see the restrictive design here.

There is a win state and fail state.

The balance will scale from “easy” on the lower worlds for singles players, up to “hard” on the higher worlds for single players.

If you win - you get a bigger reward.
If you fail - you get a smaller reward.

The balance also scales from “easy” on the lower worlds for larger groups of players, up to “hard” on the higher worlds for groups of players.

6 Likes

‘Y’ hides your tools. Really nice to quickly take screenshots, my favorite key from now on.
Was it always that way or is it new?
bzw: ‘F10’ is hide UI now.

3 Likes

Just to clarify I see it as restrictive because before I could go out hunting single mobs to get rewards. That was removed and I had to use meteors to get them. Now I have to go to tier 3 worlds and survive there first and then do the meteor hoping all the while that I get the easier meteor and don’t die at all.

So before I could do some of these things as a much lower level. Now I have to scale up, get potions, make myself all a “hunter” skill set and everything before I get some darn Oort reward.

The design in general from a balance makes sense and isn’t restrictive… it is how it is implemented and all the hoops a person needs to go through to get there that is the issue along with there being no other way to get those things.

Ultimately I will have to play the game after the wipe to see if things even work well but I am already bothered because there is no real hunting in the game and only meteors. It really is forced in a specific direction when it didn’t have to be.

All I can do is wait for the balance but I think the implementation causes some major headaches and problems that will just drive people away. I’m like CTRL-64… I just stopped hunting because I didn’t like the way it was going. Nothing so far has made me want to go back.

(edit: other hoops are not like the cleanse point issue and some of the other things…) I shouldn’t have to be level 50 and grind so much to feel like I can actually decently touch other parts of the game or go to other planets. That is just less fun…

2 Likes

Fair questions…

Yes it was a solo game and is still a major approach by many of us in the community. The developers have said they want to support solo play.

I loved Raids in WOW and am not against them. But this is a different game and does now have all the functionality or character diversity to compare them. Even in WOW I can still play solo without NEEDING to do raids.

In this game the meteor event came about when no one was asking for it. We were just hunting mobs in the wild and asked for some balance tweaking there. Instead we saw that wild hunting be completely destroyed and removed from the game and us being forced to use the meteor for any special rewards.

That is different than us having a special event (like a raid) with other options. So I am just trying to find a correct balance like the devs are. I support the overall direction and feel we need “events” figured out to support our move to Titans… but I don’t want to be stuck having nothing to do as a solo player except “build”…

1 Like

So, to condense your request, are you saying, “I would like more ways to get the special loot that meteorites drop?”

You must level faster than me and make fewer mistakes than me then. All I see before me is difficult choices that need not be my problem and a bucketload of XP for every level after 50. XP to cap at 50 + (200k x 50) + (200k x 50) to fill up your skill sets. Unlock the skill sets. Never make any mistakes or have to buy cleanses/resets too. That’s assuming you didn’t unwisely spend them all on plots to build something.

those things need to be balanced to achieve the MMORPG aspect, so have slowly been taken away and gated to some degree.

There’s nothing MMORPG about putting payment into fundamental game systems. That’s a recent F2P model, innovated by DDO and others early on and aped by others. It’s not MMO or RPG, It’s F2P mechanics.

I’m fine with the gating… I don’t want a game that I can complete in 3 months and never come back to.

Not being obtuse, I don’t understand this. When do you complete the game? When you cap? When you can skill reset freely with gay abandon? There is no end game, there is “sandbox” and building. Being able to play my character to get the things to build the thing is the endgame for me. It’ll be different for others. But all of us need plots (unless we’re masochistic permadeath lovers) and skills and skill resets.

We’re all theorycrafting at the moment but I get the feeling having a meaningful amount of cubits to feel you can play the game freely and enjoy it is far too lengthy and arduous to be fun.

Everything just comes down to balance now and any feedback we give here will help in that final balancing.

Totally agree, and it’s why I’m here. I get the feeling though that there are targets to be met and these things are unlikely to change significantly.
//
Don’t get me wrong I could throw money at this particular issue if I wanted to but honestly I’d be more likely to decide not to out of spite. I’m an EA player who likes the game too, new people coming in will be less forgiving. I think it’d be better for them and the game if they just moved the income stream to a less important system.

2 Likes

I see the need to move things to the exchange. Unfortunately, your tutorials and explanation on how skills and what they do and what is best is so rudimentary that people will make huge mistakes in how they skill their character. So many of us don’t really know if it is best to put points into this hammer skill, or this vitality skill, etc. We all need to learn and be given the ability to make mistakes.

By removing this feature and putting it behind a cubit purchase mechanism is a huge mistake and massively bad for player experience. You cannot expect people to spend all these limited cubit points we get by levels in playing the free part of the game on all the different things you have there without really hurting game play.

If you provided the option to buy Cubits with “in game money” then maybe that would cut the sting. But that is just 1 step higher than using “real world money”. So please let us know “why you don’t want people having skill resets for free(ish)” so we can find a correct balance on providing people skill resets without cutting into plots and the other things we need to spend cubits on and not force us to pay more real money for this game.

1 Like

How do you mean that there is no real hunting in the game? Ambient creatures (ie. non-meteorite creatures) are configured to spawn on all worlds in all forms.

But yes, currently Oort stone only comes from Meteorites.

Players were asking for events. Yes, no one was asking for meteorite events. But this was our implementation to deliver a heavier hit of combat.

This is a fair request that we have discussed internally.

At the moment the Meteorites are the only path to Oort stones directly, excluding getting them indirectly via trading.

Is it better to have this limited path, to arguably encourage trading?
Or better to have multiple paths, at the risk of lowering drivers to trading?

4 Likes

I like this idea. i am one of the few people that is always running out of plots and feel I need to spend most of my cubits on them.
but then however you take away funds that the game needs to survive. :thinking:

No.

You and I haven’t interacted much. You can ask me to condense my statements down, but please don’t do it for me.

There needs to be normal in the wild monster hunting that is better than it currently is. There needs to be the correct balance for solo meteor play and for group play. James should have understood my recommendation that from my last post saying the overall model makes sense.

Overall I think the whole meteor thing should be relooked at. The community never had a say ultimately… they just showed up one day. At most the only thing it should be giving is Oort with no other rewards is probably what I would say at this point.

1 Like

I think having multiple special ores, each with specific requirements to get them, would build an economy of specialization.

You’d have meteorite hunters.

If you added other events, you could have players specialize in those.

In the long term, you might have fishing events, farming events, and the meteorite hunters would need to trade their oortstone with those who specialize in the other events, which may help build an economy?

Just thinking out loud.

We are still getting oortstone special worlds though, yes? So oortstone seams? (along with the other specials ofc)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Release 196 - Report issues here

I do wonder if a reasonable compromise is to allow free resets 'til you reach your first 100 points & fill your first skill set, then require cubits to do so.

3 Likes

Like I’ve said elsewhere (and of course it’ll be different for everyone) but trading/buying what you need, for me, is completely unfulfilling. I don’t want to go to a shop to buy the thing. It’s akin to paying someone else to level my character.

3 Likes

I’m trying to compare hunting to an old design which isn’t probably that fair to you all.

I mean that the balance is off. I kill and Elite mob on a T2 planet and get 1 meat and 1 tallow. That doesn’t feel “real” for that creature. We need the balance fixed so that lower levels get the amount of rewards they need to scale their character. Then the rewards for a high level character needs to feel good too.

I think we need a clear communication on the loot tables for all mobs so we can balance them with what makes sense and have them scale for difficulty.

How prevalent does the developer team want portals to be? Do you feel the situation we have now with portals all over the place is too much, just right, or not enough?

If you feel it is too much then keep it hard. If not, then make it a bit easier for us solo players. Please remember that “trading” is seen as a “group play” for many solo people. So many people don’t want to participate in the economy. Also solo people won’t likely have a lot of money anyway… so how can they buy stuff? For them a “multiple paths” situation is KEY to feeling the game works for them.

Personally I am fine with hard event… I just want to make sure I can get some Oort that allows me to have a few personal portals running 24/7 for my solo play that doesn’t force me to have to go buy it from people…

If you don’t want to make Oort easy for solo players then PLEASE make is so I can use FUEL to power my warp conduits instead of money so that I can still travel the universe without having to participate in the economy or some group stuff… Let people be hermits if they want to be!

4 Likes

That is assuming people will have it figured out by then. I have like 1500 hours and am still not an expert in it.

The balance is to just let people reset skills until the developers say what “problem” they are trying to solve by removing them from people. What exploit or game dynamic is causing “cleanse points” to be an issue or leading to some unfair type play…

2 Likes

Heh for sure, I prefer your direction but like I said I was looking for a reasonable compromise, given they seem inflexible on the matter.

2 Likes

I am all for that… that does sound cool… but portals are used for other things so I am trying to separate the experiences…

1 Like

I think this is important. Rewards have to scale or a player gets bored. If I kill a super hard bad guy and I get the same reward as if I just farmed some low level versions of him, I’d be pretty upset and just stop visiting other places because I wouldn’t feel like i made much progress. These more advanced creatures need to offer something the simple ones don’t.

2 Likes