Release 199: New Decorative Props, Server Optimisation and Fixes!

The point was that, to me, the added cost and complexity was unnecessary and added to the wrong places. What we all want is for everything to be in-demand and useful. The developers “solved” this by tacking on things to existing recipes, in some cases adding even more complexity to something that was already over-tuned. My complaint was that the better solution would have been to make new recipes that used them instead. This would diversify demand as you want, without putting too much grinding pressure on every single thing.

yeah, sure, we could also add a bucket of water as an added cost to every metal-based tool to stimulate the economy and provide demand for bucket-makers, but where’s the value-add in terms of gameplay richness?
my point was to add my two cents on where we are on the balance scale, not to make an argument on the principle of crafting.

3 Likes

Jeeeze, I guess you guys really hated bricks. It was already soul draining to farm all the clay soil, now we have to hunt for biomes with mud and ash and mindlessly grind that too.The prestige wasn’t bumped either to reflect how much material that goes into this recipe.

I’m listing the raw blocks required per finished block, everything is single crafted in this example.

• Refined rock: 4 rocks, no spark/heat. Awards 8 prestige.
  • Old Brick: 1½(?) rock and 5 clay soil, 100 spark and 100 heat. Awards 10 prestige.
  • New Brick: 1½ rock, 5 clay soil, 2 ash, 2 mud, 100 spark and 100 heat. Awards 10 prestige.
  • New brick: 0.75 Stone, 2.5 clay soil, 1 ash, 1 mud, 50 spark and 50 heat. Awards 10 prestige.

Old brick was kinda ok, but obnoxious, mainly because it required so much clay soil, that in combination with the spark/heat cost was enough to award 2 more prestige. Not only is the new clay requiring a whole lot more blocks, but it also requires more different types and these types if I don’t remember it wrong has 50% more hp than soil.

I’m extra sour because I finally had mustered the energy to gather enough clay soil to make a full smart stack of compact clay and I was just saving up for a mixer power coil to save some spark cost. Clearly I should just have gone ahead and made them because I’d rather miss out on 23% spark reduction than having to gather these additional blocks.

How about creating new recipes instead of tacking on a bunch of mud and ash willy-nilly into exsisting recipes?

Edit: Changed heat cost in the example, I forgot my character had 30% heat reduction.
Edit2: Actually, now that I think of it I can’t remember how much rock was required for old brick, but that was never the problem.
Edit3: Apparently, burning the “clay” to bricks yield 4 bricks now (furnace recipe, so I had to verify by crafting). I have to actually feel this out before I protest more, but I still feel adding ash and mud like that was disagreable.

9 Likes

I was mining between 10 and 30. I wasnt using an atlas at first because they didn’t work on ps4. After they fixed it this morning, I tried again with the atlas. Mined for 4 hours in a very dense bright spot and didn’t get a single diamond.

You need to mine between 1 and 15.

What is your mining technique?

Get to depth 10, then mine above you 5 blocks, below 5, then walk forward 2-3 spaces, and repeat the same thing. That way you can clear out single tall lines of rocks to see what’s above around the 10-15 range, and the 5-10 range.

You might try at a depth 5 blocks above the mantle and do that, it depends on your reach. When you finish a line, make a new line, but keep the tunnels 2 blocks away from each other for efficiency.

Then you can double back or use a grapple to go from depth 10, and mine above you to 15, etc. Get what I mean?

Looked for a way to do it in game and cant seem to find it.

I might try it, but I’m demotivated to play at the moment.

Another thing I do sometimes is go to 15, grapple above me, then destroy all the blocks below me to mantle, then raise myself back up, and do that in a line.

1 Like

How much ofeach resource do you get per trip doing this and in how long?

To get 1500 for power coils, if I had to guess, 20-30 hours, but I didn’t have a miner build. I did this back in august.

If I had 8/8 power, 8/8 dexterity, 5/5 hammer, 1/1 hammer epic, 1/1 damage epic, and an Iron Hammer, it would be a lot less time.

I think leaving 3 blocks is a fair amount, but 2 is safest. The odds of a diamond seem being in a perfect vertical or horizontal straight line is low.

Rock Rock Diamond Rock Rock

Seems pretty unlikely.

It’s more likely to be

Rock Rock Diamond Diamond Rock

So as long as you leave 3 blocks between tunnels, you’d run into that one diamond that branched off, and then you’d be fine.

If I had Titanium Hammers, it’d take even less time.

Also when you’re in a 1 wide corridor while mining the methamorphic stone can get a darkness I hadn’t seen before. They surely changed the lighting!

1 Like

That is not true. I went in with iron hammers to start with and found diamonds all around where people had bomb mined. It however is grindy as heck because of how hard the blocks are. We finally got to the point of using the bombs and that made the mining fun again. Now that is ruined.

2 Likes

Personally I honey comb my mining. And I always put two rows between each honeycomb so that I will see what’s in each wall from each honeycomb. So I never miss anything and it lets me honey comb several layers with no issues at all and not missing a single resource.

Like this?

X X X X
X R R X
X R R X
X X X X

X is destroyed rock, R is rock.

More like
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXRRXXXRRXXX
XXXRRXXXRRXXX
XXXRRXXXRRXXX
XXXRRXXXRRXXX
XXXRRXXXRRXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

If that makes sense? I use 9 block hammers so there is a row of 3 then the 2 rows of rocks I don’t touch, then another honeycomb. Then I just keep doing that until i’m out of the gem area then go up or down 5 blocks and repeat.

1 Like

2 hit per rock is grindy? Sorry, but thats just so no true.
Yes, you need centraforge, yes you need few things to get it.
Fortunately I’m yet to run out of one stack of iron hammers after gathering 160 rubies strip mining quite a lot of hotspots.
Durability + damage forge do the job.

Next time I will actually use silver hammers - should make it even faster.
Not to mentions stacks of ore i’ve mined during this strip mining.

it Was at least 3 hits per rock and took me several days of mining with another person helping to get the diamonds to make our first power coils. I still don’t have the forge stuff going because of the mats it takes to make the stuff. So good for you that you are doing so great that it doesn’t seem grindy for you. However that is not the case for everyone.

1 Like

I do believe that for some other people it may be harder… But I’ve just gave you an example how to make it easier. You know, old proverb “work smarter, not harder” is very important in this game.
So, if I was not able to figure out that compacted soil is so much better than timber for fuel, should whole game be re-balanced and some new materials be added because of it? :slight_smile:
Or if you didn’t forge your hammers and gone with pure iron tools to dig diamonds, should we change whole mining mechanics because you decided to skip forging items? :slight_smile:

While I understand why you may have done it - reactive lamelas because of bug were absolutely ridiculously scare - but this seems to be fixed now.
So in this case, should we actually make balance changes on outdated experience?

1 Like

I feel the changed recipes part could have been more elaborate. Shouldn’t it be relativily easy to get a delta of the recipe changes through version control?

1 Like

Sorry but I am not going to agree with you on this. I find it grindy and don’t want to spend days and days mining gems with the hammer. Especially when I only get 2 xp per rock.