Release 199: New Decorative Props, Server Optimisation and Fixes!

What rock have you been hiding under? (Teehee) I think you are going more in the direction of wanting resources than wanting fun. Mining is super fun and interesting if you take time to explore, run around caves, and not focus solely on the resources. Nothing better than slinging over lava because you see some hard coal, titanium, etc. As more planets are released each will offer a unique mining experience as they do now. Yes some planets are set up for bomb mining, but others with possibly more honeycomb layouts will be a lot harder. You get what you want how you want. If you want resources, bomb mine. If you want fun and interesting experiences, explore and donā€™t get hung up on the numbers.

1 Like

Why canā€™t I have both?

Why canā€™t getting resources be both fun, and efficient?

Why canā€™t I have everything now, how I want it? Time my friend and patience.

4 Likes

That is a ridiculous oversimplification.

Good game design makes sure that alternate playstyles yield equal results.

If someone can prove to me gem cave mining yields as much titanium and gems as bomb mining, then Iā€™ll concede my argument.

Right now I donā€™t think it does, so it should be balanced more.

edit Also, if the intent is for bomb mining to be end-game, and cave mining to not be, then Iā€™ll also concede my argument.

@Chivlet might be able to argue that. I have seen him yield great results with just a plain titanium hammer. As far as oversimplification it really is not. So many dynamics of the game change depending on the people playing and it takes time to adjust and monitor things. It is up to the players to have patience with the devs as they do their best to make the game even better than it already is.

Also keep in mind, you cannot get rocks from using bombs, period (okay unless you weaken them and wack them with a totem or something after but you get it). So when using a hammer you are able to acquire a resource you cannot otherwise obtain using bombs. This in essence provides a different use for different tools, as intended I am sure. Bombs are more end game resource obtaining tools to save time while forged hammers are great for gathering rocks quickly for building your end game dream projects so you do not waste time gathering. Different tools, different purpose.

5 Likes

Confirming itā€™s not an ā€œend-game featureā€. Itā€™s an alternative for those who donā€™t want to use alts . A dev stated that in an old post. I canā€™t be bothered to find it though

I donā€™t know about bombs, but destroying 9 Iron Hammer mining on Shedu Tier yielded me more emeralds than many more on Beservona. Maybe Iā€™m just lucky.

I know of few MMO sandbox games where mining is actually fun. Do you know of any where itā€™s fun?

Mining has always been a tedious form of gameplay due to the repetitive nature of the tasks. Though, in Rust, they make mining slightly more engaging by turning it into a minigame of sorts where if you hit it in the right spot, you gain more output from the rock. But still boring IMHO.

From my experience in mmos, you always have options. Do you want to have the most fun? Or do you want optimal xp/drops? They often arenā€™t the same activity. There is nothing wrong with this. As you reach endgame content the difference becomes much smaller but generally still exists.

Alcyon is pretty much only cave, what are you talking about? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Can we be refunded for purchasing the appearance change tokens if we were a gleam club member when we bought it?

1 Like

I like to think of the diversity like going on hunts. Will I gear up to be a healer, a tank, or damage? If I am going mining I want that kind of thought process. The same with skills too.

Some excellent additions, fixes and balances coming! Iā€™m now looking forward to an otherwise humdrum Thursday!

2 Likes

Actually CreativeWorlds is right. . The developers added skill sets right before go live. Alts had been there a while. The argument was people did not want to have more than one character. They did not want to have to use alts in order to have the skills they needed. The developers added Skills sets to allow this. Based in this I cannot believe it was not intended to be an end game feature.

1 Like

Any update on Flint drop rate? Spawned on a planet with no boulders anywhere and after 2h of destroying over 80 Metaphoric Rocks and tons of Gravel with 5 points in luck we got 1 flint at the end and another 3 ones we had luck maxed out another 30mins later.

Either the drop rate is way way too low for non boulder sources or RNG really screwed me on that alt :slight_smile:

Great update!!! Thank you for all the work on resource regen. Canā€™t wait to see it in action!!!

How much of the planet did you check?

It was on Aeries (think I spelled it right) and the specific spot I landed on the ground was made from foliage. Walking 10mins into either direction was only more foliage and we found a river with gravel in the end but no boulders. We dug for about 2h around underground and according to the knowledgebase only Metaphoric Rocks and Gravel (aside from boulders) give flint.

Even if I missed a boulder somewhere, which could happen off course, specially at the very start as we werenā€™t looking for them specifically :slight_smile: -

Either way though, flint is a common item and can be obtained from gravel and specific rock according to the knowledgebase, so the drop rate should not be that low for a common item you need at the start of the game, specially with lots of points in luck. no?

The VOD is on Twitch as well.

Boulders should appear as Little Rockā€™s on he ground. They can normally be found spawning on the surface or in caves. They are not particularly sought after, so they should be much more common than other surface resources. These are small and can easily be hidden by grass on the surface.

Regeneration and surface resources are getting an overhaul that will make them respawn properly. right now they are not always being restored after they are collected. This change should make them more frequent, but you should be finding some out in the open right now.

2 Likes

I must have missed in what release we got the heartbeat when low on energy but I really need a toggle. This is driving me crazy. Itā€™s really not that hard for me to keep track of my own energy without this sound hounding me the entire time Iā€™m mining.

3 Likes