Release 199: New Decorative Props, Server Optimisation and Fixes!

So much good stuff coming :smiley: thanks for the update devs!

1 Like

I will say take the resistance instead of armor is more benefit for hunting.
Also take the damage epic instead of protection epic.

Something like that require you to test as well.
Also this is the most fun part in this game.

It doesn’t require testing for casuals to see that five levels of armor makes them almost invincible to level 1 and 2 meteors on level 3 planets. You’re confusing entry level with mid- or end-game hunting.

1 Like

Oh yeah u r correct.
If you only hunting on level 3 planet, then armor is better.

I don’t understand why this bomb thing is so hard. Just make it so bombs don’t return resources. Problem solved.

1 Like

They don’t return resources at all. Neither do you get any xp. It just blows up the rocks, and because veins have more health, leaves the veins in place, which you then proceed to harvest (or not) with your hammer.

Edit: Just for the record. This is how real world mining works as well… Only the sifting out of the useless rock is done by the game already instead of having to be done afterwards.

1 Like

They did add jiivita’s video intro to bombs in the patch notes where he features heavily digging and mining with bombs… but it doesn’t spell it out for you. That doesn’t mean that it’s not intended to function for mining though as has been discussed before. The fact that a great deal of effort has gone into bomb mining code and that blocks themselves feature bomb resistance, but now we’re going way off topic and into the endless back and forth that always occurs when this topic comes up.

3 Likes

Heh. Boundless is like a fantasy voxel based version of Eve Online. Spreadsheets galore!

PS4 players are at a disadvantage the deeper you get into this game!

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t know that. Alright then. That puts me closer to 50/50 on my guess of their intended use, though they could have simply added that video there as part of the community collaboration aspect.

Either way, we could use an official roadmap once all the beginning bugs and such are ironed out.

It sounds like even steggs doesn’t know why bombs had durability doubled, at least accordin’ to the discord chat I saw.

As for whether or not they thought to themselves, as they designed bombs, “We’re going to add in all this stuff to make bomb mining possible!” Or it was an unintended conseqeuence, only the game developers can tell us, and there’s no sense in guessin’, as you said.

Thank you for alerting me to the inclusion of that video. I’m at least more open to the possibility it was secretly intended.

1 Like

i brought this up to James when i was making the bomb video (though it was more to do with grieffing) his response was “But sandbox!” At it’s heart Boundless is about playing in a very big sandbox where the only limits are your imagination and the physics of the sand box… build awesome sand castles… or smash them down =p… both are valid options :wink:

Edit

originally bombs did zero damage to resources :rofl:

4 Likes

I wonder why they never updated the tooltip for bombs to explain their use for mining… Accident or not, it’s clearly a feature now.

I just want to move the conversation now to, is it meant to be the end-game feature, the most efficient feature, or are we trying to balance the game’s other forms of mining?

Thank you for the explanation.

I really don’t get your point.
Hammer mining cannot yields the same amount of resources because you have other benefits. First, hammers are a lot easier and cheaper to craft, second you get experience from braking rocks, third you get the rocks, and with the rocks you get a lot of experience for crafting them into refined/decorative or brick forms, and at the end you’ll get coins for selling them or prestige for your settlement. So, I don’t think you can compare only titanium and gems.
BTW, I only do Hammer mining, and I enjoy it a lot and really I don’t see why is a problem if other players get more gems. At last, It’ll be better because at some point gem tools prices will go down and I can start using them.

4 Likes

I already love this update. (yes I gave it a :heart: before reading) :stuck_out_tongue:
You guys rock!!! :smiley:

YAY!!!

Sounds good!! can’t wait to see what it looks like throughout the day :slight_smile:

This is VERY good news. I like this. good show :+1:

THANK YOU!!! :heart: :heart:

This is awesome!! thank you for encouraging more exploration! :smiley:

ooh very nice!

cool! I like this solution. you can decide when to eat or how close you wanna get to the marker :stuck_out_tongue:
I was actually going to suggest having a warning sound a few seconds before you start taking starving damage rather than the sound starting when you’re taking damage already, but this works too! :smiley:

AMAZING! you guys are amazing.
all hail Wonderstruck :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly this may be the best update ever. It may not be feature packed but there are so many fixes!!

Everything else that I didn’t directly comment on also sounds great. Every single point.

Awesome update you guys!!!
keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Sticks can now be used as fuel.

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
I CAN FINALLY USE ALL MY STICKS FOR SOMETHING

3 Likes

I’m SO HYPED right now, btw

As a player with 35 full planets all i can say is, THANK YOU.

Amazing patchnotes

4 Likes

Honestly, I wish the region xp was higher. That’s just 25 blocks.

6 Likes

omigosh! those props! I wish more came together and often!!! but this one looks so dang cool! Can’t wait!

Sad about can’t harvest blocks anymore… so where do we get shimmering orbs? I just only discovered to be able to do this technique. Dang it!

But good job Devs! Always excited for new patches and fixes!!!

Keep up the great work. Still addicted to Boundless and going almost 1year playing it non-stop

right?! bhahahahahaa

Surface resources regen is supposedly fixed with this update.

1 Like

Is it possible to return special drop (sap, flint) as additional?

1 Like