Release: Version strategy?

Default version: Currently new players to Boundless will automatically get the original JavaScript version of the game via Steam. This version has been constant and stable since the end of 2015. We do not plan to iterate this version. No new features will be added.

Development version: We also release the development C++ version of Boundless as a private beta via Steam. This is the development version that we aim to update weekly. All current and future development will go into the this version.

The Default (JS) versions contains ~50 worlds in 5 locations, and many hours of awesome players builds.
The Development (C++) version is currently 4 worlds in 2 locations, and has just been wiped.

Problem:
The problem is that new players to Boundless experience the Default (JS) version by default. They need to learn about the Development (C++) version via the forum and opt into it.

Possible solution:
We’re thinking that it might be better for new players to experience the Development (C++) version by default.

This would mean:

1. Switching the Default (JS) version into a public beta, ie. requiring no password, and
  2. Making the Development (C++) version the default version on Steam.

New players would get the better performance (but less stability, less variety, less builds, less worlds) via the Development (C++) version.

Current players would be able to continue with whichever version they wanted.

Help?: Is this a good idea? Which version do you think new players should experience first today?

16 Likes

Definitely think they should experience the new C++ version - they’ll see the game updated regularly and will have more interaction with current players.

It can only be a good thing to switch them over in my mind…

7 Likes

That sounds like a good idea. Remember though to add a big fat disclaimer stating that they are playing the unstable build and they can chance to an the JavaSript build if they want stability until release (Or something like that)

7 Likes

:thumbsup: I think it’s a good idea - it’ll show progress to people who aren’t trolling the forums (here or on steam).

If C++ becomes the default, consider having a notice somewhere prominent (in game, even) explaining how people can go back to the JS build. Definitely need to let people know that they can still get back to their old builds

Something to consider (longer term): Have two environments for C++, stable & unstable

9 Likes

Bugs and unstability are parts of early access games, constant updates satisfy many players :slight_smile:

Why don’t you just fuse the Default and the c++ into each other,that way we can still have all the worlds we have now,and have the dope features. And the new players will see all the cool worlds while getting the new features and being able to have a game that is worth buying. Then they might make videos about it,and we get free propaganda.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s as easy as that, and I would guess the main reason why they haven’t done so already.

3 Likes

Because:

1. We’d need to migrate all the world data from the JS format with the JS blocks, to the C++ format with the C++ blocks.

2. The JS version included 2 beacon systems (the original large beacons and the block-by-block beacons), the C++ version only contains the block-by-block beacons. So we’d not be able to migrate the large beacons.

3. Probably other reasons I don’t remember… But we did consider migrating the worlds before creating the C++ beta.

6 Likes

I agree, I think the C++ build should become the new default version. That way, it’ll clear up confusion for new players who can’t find anybody, and people looking for more stability can always opt for the JavaScript version, even if the community on there is “dead”.

I suppose this topic does bring up another question, though…When do we plan on taking down the JavaScript version for good?

2 Likes

Absolutely. The C++ should be the default version because players shouldn’t have to go through extra steps to find the “hidden” version that is going to be regularly updated. I think everyone will appreciate it.

2 Likes

Definitely a good idea but I´d wait until the servers don’t crash every other weekend anymore.

4, Regeneration wouldn’t work on those worlds (the reason we did this world wipe just today)

7 Likes

I’m excited to start a new residence. Will there likely be additional wipes before 1.0? Because reasons…

2 Likes

The C++ sounds like a better fit for all the new players. It will allow the game to run better on their computers. They will also have access to the new content and will be able to find the bugs and report them so that they can be fixed before launch.

At the very least there will be 1 more world wipe.

6 Likes

Just for clarity’s sake, does this include the final pre-1.0 wipe?

For example

Option 1.) These new worlds, WIPE, new things, WIPE, 1.0

or Option 2.) These new worlds, WIPE, 1.0

1 Like

Option 2 is the minimum.

2 Likes

I think this a good idea, because the new player can than meet other players. In the old world (JS) nearly no active player. The active player all in the new worlds(c++). And in the new world they have all new feature.

If you’re going to default to the C++ version (which I think makes sense for various reasons) you should probably think about re-doing some of the marketing material you have out there. I bought Boundless to some degree based on the video and screenshots. It was a little disappointing to find that no players are doing anything on the old JS worlds with all those beautiful biomes and blocks, instead everyone is on these 4 C++ worlds that are all identical and have very little variety by comparison. I know why you’re doing it, but it FEELS like a big step back, and since you’re asking a pretty steep price for early access, I’d say you need to make clear to people the state of the game they’re funding.

2 Likes

I definitely agree in making c++ default ASAP, but after the worldbuilder release (so people can build and submit biome/world ideas). The new worlds would need to vary a lot more.

3 Likes