Remove footfall to balance out the playing field

Wow. Share this validated data with the wider community, please!

1 Like

People wouldn’t make the same in the new system, but the goal should be to pump a similar total amount of money into the economy (so instead of 5 people each getting 50k, 250 people all get 1k).

So, this is my super rough imagining of something that could replace footfall (I’m fairly ambivalent about it as it stands, aside from how it punishes people far from cities. This is mostly just a thought experiment.)

As a baseline, every character has 1000c of “Action Currency” they can earn every day. Things that would unlock that money would be placing blocks, breaking blocks, killing monsters, placing plots, crafting items, etc. Just basic actions for playing the game. The things that take longer can/should count as more actions (so a mass-craft of something is maybe 10 actions, for example). And then as people do the things the money trickles into their beacon to be collected, and maybe you give the player a small EXP box if they get all the money in a single day. To encourage settlements/portal hubs still, you could keep the current bonus system of having bigger cities, so a settlement (or less) has a 1x multiplier on that 1000c, while a hamlet is 2x, etc.

I don’t know exactly what those modifiers (or the base amount for that matter) should be as I don’t have all the data, but that basic shell would allow everyone to earn money just for playing the game however they want to instead of forcing them into specific play patterns.

If you minus out the daily and weekly, hitting all the feats , maxing out your char and excluding player trade, what specific ways are coins introduced to the economy ?

The only change to the footfall mechanic that would make any sort of sense would be to make the coins get added only after the unique player spends X amount of time on the plot, rather than just passing through it.

Removing footfall would be stupid, it would remove the incentive for too many things. From building creatively to running portal hubs, it would make those things completely unviable.

1 Like

Well, that means I don’t care about portals at all (what would be a point in making them?)
I mass craft rock whole time in town and warp everywhere.
Sell gems i made while warping, buy rocks to mass craft more money.
I would say inflation is very big possibility :wink: and people who new how to go about it would make even more money than those who provide them with basic material.

We would end up with exactly the same situation, possibly with different set of people but probably with raging inflation cause more people would make killing on it. Making a killing on foothold is harder than grinding stuff whole day.

Also so big incentive to make bots :wink:

When you are dealing with foothold problem, keep in mind that devs were working on this game for few years thinking about possible consequences of each of their feature. They may have made some mistakes (like bomb mining) but in general they made quite good work.
If there was easy to come up system which is better than foothold they would do it by now.

1 Like

Omg, keep your commie non sense out of my video games please. Your idea promotes people sitting in their dirt huts, in the middle of no where. We want people out and about and interacting with each other. Footfall is great because it promotes people to build something that benefits others.

1 Like

The coin I get from footfall is insignificant (to me, anyway, I suppose 3-4k day, 7k on weekends might seem like a lot for someone fresh out of the sanctum), so as I stated before, I’m fine with whatever system, but I foresee people complaining that this particular idea would benefit players with multiple alts / accounts / etc. So in the end, changing to a system like this would just shift the accusations of ‘unfairness’ from one target to the next.

Why would you not care about protals? There is still a hub bonus, they still get you places, they still are commerce centers (people are 100% still going to build shops at portal hubs).

Your main argument seems to be alt abuse, and if that is an issue then you can increase the total amount slightly and account lock it instead of character lock it.

Regarding inflation, if there isn’t inflation currently then this system wouldn’t cause it either, as at most the same amount of money is being added to the economy every day (once the numbers are balanced right), it’s just that the players at the very low end are getting more while the people are the very very top are getting less.

This rewards people for playing the game instead of just building a gleam road next to a portal hub. It is of course just a suggestion and would need a lot of testing/tweeking.

There wouldn’t be portal hubs because people couldn’t afford to run them with out footfall!

1 Like

We don’t need no thought control.

So what your saying is you don’t like capitalism.

1 Like

I find it ridiculous that there is even a complaint about footfall, when that’s the easiest thing to get and is the most fair thing to get in the game, AND the real thing that is 100% people generated is the stupid amount of price gauging. 30k for simple forged tools??? Trust me new people, the prices your seeing is a thing of greed. They are triple from what they were right when 1.o hit, and quadruple from when all of pre-alpha.

and your having a problem from free gift money and all you have to do is make something that generates people “wanting” to come look at??? the same as anyone else can do. Really meditate on what generates footfall. GO BUILD THE SAME THING! If you don’t want to have to work like all the great builds that are getting footfall, then you well never get it either. It’s free money that is gifted as a reward for being creative. If that money goes away, you think it will help you?

If I were to ALSO be jealous of the grand portal owners, and I stop them from making any money, what will I have accomplished? Nothing , absolutely will do nothing for me or my money.

And how much money do you give the owners of the portals that is costing them WAY more to upkeep in oortstone than they make on coins. Do you really donate all your stone, or seek out the owner and say thank you for letting me use it for free every day!

2 Likes

At that point I think we are playing different game. I care about portals because i can take 5th level alt and go explore level 6 planets. I don’t have to pay a dime to look at each planet and find perfect place to settle.
I can play tourist if I just want to roam different planets.
I can get to Basservona wasting only my time and some iron if i don’t find diamonds…
My mine argument has nothing to do with alts. Everything to do with your risks of totally wrecking not only economy but also a lot of possibilities that exist right now in game. Both, testing idea - which would work well if we were talking about banking back end optimization, not user interaction design, and proposed change which is so easy to miss use i didn’t have to thing 5 minutes to find a way and after thinking for next 10 couldn’t even begin to find way to mitigate it without killing it.

1 Like

I know you are trolling me because of my name, but this deserves a response.

How does footfall reflect capitalism, exactly? If I walk into your place of work IRL, you don’t get money for me standing there, you get money for me buying something. This system would more directly reflect that. If you want to run a super high end store and sell gem hammers and get filthy rich, do it, that is awesome. Also, though, this is a voxel building game with an economy. People that want to play the voxel building shouldn’t be locked out of the economy just because they wanted to build mostly away from the huge gleam monsters that are cities.

1 Like

But you can still do that. How does this wreck the economy if the exact same total amount of money is being added every day? Why would portal hubs just vanish if the city multiplier is balanced right (say it’s 10x for example. You’re telling me those 60+ person guilds wouldn’t/couldn’t run a warp network on 10k per day per player plus shop revenue?)

1 Like

If you choose to be where no people are, YOU locked yourself out of an econmy, not because they get about 10 coins when you walked into their store man.

It’s like this,These cool Dev’s built a game, they showed people this game, and said this is our economy, and this is how this game is played. And thousands come and enjoy it. then there are a few jealous people who are not hurt at all in any way , come and start trying to take away from the others, because it is only jealously, being how it doesn’t hurt them, and they are free to do the same exact thing themselves.
It is not wrong that the dev’s built something that has bonuses to different aspects of the game. I do not have it in me to build a Wal-Mart of all shops and maintain it. Instead I am pretty damn good at chisel work and making statues and art. By golly I want to be able to get my free 5-10 coins from footfall. Something I like OVER minecraft or other crafting games. It feels more satisfying knowing I can get even chump change from it.

It makes me angry that some people want to take my chump change away, because they do not like me having it.

I don’t find “just build in the city” a compelling solution. If that is the direction the game wants to go, that’s fine, but while we are discussing changes I don’t think this bares mentioning.

It doesn’t matter where you are as long as your portals are connected to networks that see a lot of traffic.

I have a semi-hidden portal to my hermit workshop and people still randomly show up. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Statistically, if I build my business in a place that gets more people coming to it (say a portal Hub) I would make more money. but if I build it in the middle of nowhere ( say IRL a town with 2000 people Like my hometown) it will suffer dramatically. Capitalism (footfall) rewards hard work and ingenuity, as for the argument I could just build a road and make bank. Infrastructure is what holds the fing world together.

PS. it wasn’t a stab at your name, but it did give me a chuckle when I notice it.:smirk:

1 Like

Fair enough. I have been getting remarks like that for 15 years.

So, how would this change anything, then? You aren’t “ingenious” for building your shop right next to a place where there are already 1000 shops, and it isn’t “hard work” to build a road once and then walk by every few days and collect your money. Hubs would still have a huge economic advantage, as you pointed out. Blacklight is going to be able to do way more business than my small little city even under the new system because everyone and their mother goes there. Just now people from those little cities might be able to come in and buy somthing.

Lots of people throwing this once per day number around. Just FYI:

In my testing it was somewhere between 72 and 96 hours between visits or no footfall would appear on the beacon.

2 Likes