Removing a stigma for new players

I don’t think games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 by EA started the same way lol

That is not a voxel mmorpg

And I wouldn’t say Boundless has the same level of following.
Which is why I do think the retail price + the gleam-club subscription-style thing + the in-game store is a biiiit much, IMHO.

4 Likes

I knooow, I’m just being silly hehe

Right, I think they aren’t at the level to where they can do this successfully, I feel Square jumped the gun with this.

Though I’m a loser and bought in only 40 hours into the game. lol

minecraft is also the WoW of building games

lets see boundless get away with this
$30+ for a mount and $15+ for pets

1 Like

To be fair, I’m pretty sure nobody but Blizzard would defend their in-game store. ^^

3 Likes

You need to finish up those quests lol

1 Like

My only spot of defense for some of those, is that they started out as “Buy this and money goes to charity” pets.

2 Likes

Cubits are thing and are used to buy all the cosmetics. :wink: so we dont have horses or whatever but weve got cool body art and hats

I think that the point has been made, on multiple occasions, that to a NEW player the lootboxes are a turn off. In todays market seeing lootboxes screams p2w, factor in the cubit store and im surprised(albeit pleasantly) that the majority of players didnt run for the hills immediately.

Removing the box animations, is a good start, but how or what do we replace it with? Hurdle number one, has to be new player retention in this instance.

lol true but once you hit there level you can just stop giving all the $#@ and list whatever you want for how ever much you want and still make $$$

when the buy a level x token thing came out the backlash over that was huge but there numbers where just at the point where even with the backlash they could keep it and still stay above water

the same thing can be seen here but due to the player base being small the effect of it and the voices can be seen/heard a lot more then if you where to create a thread right now on the Blizzard forums crying about the level or game-time tokens

I play a ton of games & it didn’t bug me at all - it was too easy for me to recognize the BL exchange and level rewards for what they are.

I can’t think of a game that doesn’t have some sort of store or mtx. I don’t think that’s what scares ppl off…these other games have thousands and 100,000s of ppl playing and they have huge amounts of p2w features. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

But in most of those cases they are free to play, p2w. Minecraft has no win, so that doesnt count.

I think f2p would work excellent for BL - it brings in tons of players. Once BL has more content, they can charge ppl for cosmetic things like pets, vehicles, apparel…if they wanted to. I’d buy stuff.

1 Like

Also understand I don’t that the monetization in Boundless is a massive problem, I’m just saying that it’s a small thing that can be done to make a difference. Baby steps, yanno?

That said, how you feel about something might not be the same as another person’s feelings, not to say anyone’s feelings is more valid than another’s, cause I’m with you, it doesn’t bother me at all, and in most games I can dig it.

I do agree that a free to play model of Boundless would be very interesting though, I am just curious what it keeping the population so low right now, though it’s probably a lot of little things rather than one large glaring problem.

But where does that leave us? The people that payed? Some a goooooood bit more than others. I for one wouldnt be bothered, but i can practically hear the pitchforks being sharpened already…

that is true myself i have dropped a little over $100 on this game ($90 for backer + the DDE)

I would be happy to see BL flourish & grow - however that may happen. I paid full price & bought the extra package & I’ve spent $$$$ on cubits for plots so I’m in the “paid” group too lol

@Colten822 You’re not wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like