Rename Character Token

Have you ever had a character you named and thought “yeah, that’ll do” and then, later, when the character is level 40+, you’re now like “Oh my Glob, I wish I named that character differently…” :sweat: ?

Well, here’s a simple fix :
Rename-Character-Token
Pretty straight-forward and self-explanatory. ^^

I’ve written 800 cubits because it’s the same price as the token to change your character’s appearance, and I think it shouldn’t be too cheap to change your name, otherwise people would change their names every week like they change outfits…
Then again, you can create an additional character for 600 Cubits, sooooo…
There will likely also be some people who do bad things and would change their name when their reputation starts closing doors for them.

So, what do you think? Would you rename characters? Would you pay 800 Cubits for a rename?

• Oh yeah, I would rename all my characters with these!
  • Oh yeah, I have a character I’d pay cubits to rename!
  • Nah, all my characters are named very carefully, I don’t need that!
  • Then create a new character, you peasant!
  • 800 Cubits is a fine price.
  • 600 Cubits would be a better price.
  • 800 Cubits isn’t enough! Make’em bleed!
  • I’m afraid this could be used by trolls to pretend they’re other people.
  • Surely, the devs have a good reason for not adding this feature yet.
  • Something else… (comment below)
  • Ftaghn! :space_invader:

0 voters

4 Likes

Renaming could be paid service or at least have something like 90 days cool down to reduce misuse of such thing.

7 Likes

I made this suggestion once and got flack for it lol. I think people would def use it. I know I have a character I’d like to rename.

Unlike other games, this game allows us to have multiple accounts, multiple steam accounts, accounts for family/friends, create new characters on a whim…& since there are no restrictions on the # of accounts we can have, I don’t see any harm in letting us rename characters. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I have 4 alts i would buy a rename token for tomorrow if it was added today…

1 Like

didn’t vote for it but possible troll after that hash stuff does concern me now that i think of it… I’m not sure why this was never an option - it might have been for the abuse potential.

1 Like

I would also like a make my character over weight token please :sob::joy::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

maybe each character could have 2 names. (I understand that the account name can’t be shown)

• a unique unchangeable name (that could be seen by anyone on beacons and when they hit ‘E’ on the player)
  • and a non unique changeable name that is displayed above the character ( colorable for GC)
1 Like

Yeah, the situation Hash went through is exactly what made me write the option in the poll.

As for why is hasn’t been added yet, I suspect the devs just haven’t gotten to it yet.

I mean, many many MANY other games allow players to rename characters, it shouldn’t be rocket-science, and the trolling possibilities apply too. These shouldn’t stop the world from turning.
Like, World of Warcraft offers that service, but it’s 10€, so… that’s basically 1000 Cubits.

Whether we can rename characters or not, won’t stop someone from creating a new character and doing what they did to Hash (I assume the devs took care of that situation real quick lol).

A lot of games let you rename a character - some require a hefty price for it - but most don’t let you have a bunch of alts or multiple accounts. That’s usually a big ole no-no

1 Like

Only problem I see is potential for bugs. Like getting locked out of your beacons. Other than that I’m all for it.

2 Likes

I don’t think beacons work like that.
I would expect the name of the player displayed in the beacon to be just an variable that can dynamically be changed, and the beacon permissions to actually be attributed to a some code-like chain of number that represents your character.

What I mean is that in the case of the guy who copied the name of Hashmalash, the devs likely ended-up force-renaming the player. You can obviously guess they didn’t also had to check all of the guy’s beacons to change the permissions there too. :wink:

I do not know how we managed to have our two accounts with an almost similar surname … :sweat_smile: Personally, that has not hitherto caused me any particular trouble. My characters in the game are named differently. By cons I called a “MonCheri” and it’s true that I now have difficulties to assume this crazy choice. Especially if I meet a compatriot! But I think that the door is open to all trolls if the possibility exists … On PS4 we have the advantage of having the name of the account visible between us. Otherwise, there should be the possibility of keeping an indelible trace of old pseudonyms to find or recognize any malicious person.

@majorvex still brought up a great counter-point to the troll thing : it would be cheaper to make an alt with 600 Cubits.

3 Likes

My kids named a couple of my toons… I would pay cubits to rename a couple. :blush:

5 Likes

If the PSN and Steam ID was visible under the player name or when you inspect them. that would solve some of the issue.

Edit: across platforms

3 Likes

Honestly I think it was a weird tribute - the hash2.0 didn’t do anything bad did they?

But I love e1phaba!

Oh, I named her! She is “The Wicked Witch of the West”! I fit her profile because I wear my heart on my sleeve! :joy:

The ones I would change are Taffy aaTaffy and Kaneki! :joy:

And really… Ginabean can only be spelled so many ways!

1 Like

Lol

I’d probably rename one of mine DKBuilding. But I see the abuse potential. That said if u wanted to grief ppl you could just delete a character and remake it… so I don’t really see the harm. I’d definitely suggest showing steam profile names first though for parity with showing PSNs.

I made a troll toon TheGoodestForger before but I used it to follow Sere around not to actually grief her haha.

1 Like

Even if it was to avoid the identity-theft, allowing the game to display publicly your Steam account might not be approved by everybody, though.
That could be a thread on it’s own : Showing Steam/PSN account names