Showing Steam/PSN account names

This is half-suggestion, half-discussion.
In the topic of finding ways to fight identity-theft, in the Rename Character Token thread, @DKPuncherello made this interesting proposition :

I never noticed if or where PSN account names are displayed, but let’s say your Steam/PSN account name was displayed somewhere, like in your character profile, under your character’s name, how would you feel about it?
I’m pretty sure some games do tend to use Steam account names as main profile names, to not have to create a profile-maker-system, so it’s not like it’s an outlandish idea at all.

Here’s a multiple choice for y’all :

• I’m fine with that. Nothing really bad can happen. Bring it on!
  • If that’s the price to pay to fight identity-theft, ok!
  • NOOOOOOOPE!
  • I would be afraid of people harassing me outside of the game, then!
  • Something else… (comment below)
  • Ftaghn! :space_invader:
0 voters

You can only see the PSN if you play on PSN

Even if you are on PC, if you hit the interact button on a player (“e” key IIRC on PC) it’ll show the psn name below the character name. But not steam names.

I think that parity would help with some of these identity theft issues.

Edit: really?

1 Like

Oh that I didn’t know. But ive barely played on pc

That’s interesting.
Then I fully agree.
And I don’t think VALVE would be against it, since it’s quite a common-practice.

Ditto on that

You can change your steam account name at any time, This would do nothing to fight identity-theft

2 Likes

It would sure make it harder. I doubt too many people want to change their steam name. Yes you can change it then change it back in steam, but steam shows a list of name history and you are kind of putting a black mark on your profile if you change back and forth repeatedly, especially if you have trolly names like “BrianIsAJerk” or whatever.

1 Like

I seen people doing it all the time in ARK.

I don’t think people care or even see it as a black mark from my experiences with how often It used to happen in ARK.

Furthermore for the case of boundless, This would require the user to look up the steam profile to see the past names, and after X amount of names, the oldest ones will drop off the list. so someone can push names off the list, unless they changed it so you can no longer do that recently

I know back when I played tf2 I was always suspicious about trading with people who had a jillion name changes. Unless it was just changes in guild tags.

If you trust anyone in ark u are asking to get burned. Lol. Same on Conan.

must have… cause psn id is sightable fir everyone… pc players are anonymous… if a oc player switched char. i dont have a chance to see if he is the same player… thats nonsence to me…

1 Like

you can change the visible account name, but not the steam login name :wink:

2 Likes

But you can clear the alias history with just 1 click, so it’s not that hard to hide your identity.

3 Likes

I haven’t voted. All i like to add it would be easier if you know where you have to look if you are dealing with a pc player and you cant find this player in boundless on forum or discord.

Don’t know if pc can see a Psn account if they can all they have to do is ask a ps4 player to contact them. That would be nice if it could go the other way to😉

What method of contact would you like/expect?

I don’t want Boundless to give anyone any of my info. If I decide that I want someone to have it, I will give it to them. Otherwise…no.

3 Likes

[edited]
i think they cant implement your steam account name into game without valve permission? at least i hope they won’t, i dont want my steam account name be visible to anyone

I cleaned out my steam friends list and won’t add anyone else to it. I noticed that Boundless shows your steam name to everyone on your friends list. No bueno.

I can’t remember if it was in a stream or what, but there was a hunt that I could see everyone’s PSN names in game.

Sry I think that’s tmi if someone wants my steam name they can ask me for it. I would not like that my identity be on my profile. I get where ur coming from. But not a good idea

Having spent a large amount of time playing games like Ark and watching “nice” people harass folks I’m good without letting people know my steam name and think Ark made a huge mistake in making it available. Last thing I want to deal with again is people from game reaching through steam to get a hold of me or tracking me.

3 Likes

Identity theft is one thing.

Please keep in mind that part of the population has to deal with added harassment/stalker/unwanted issues sometimes. Showing someone’s info without an option to opt out could be dangerous.

Edit to add: what if someone’s 6 year old daughter was playing and made a mistake (or whatever the scenario may be)? Should people have her info and be able to track her down outside of the game?

4 Likes