Showing Steam/PSN account names

Yeah but isn’t it a bit unfair that PS4 players aren’t asked if they like it or not, though?

Thats part of the console gig. Its one of the reasons I stopped playing xbox.

1 Like

I don’t buy PSN games anymore, nor do I use my PSN account anymore. That was a choice I personally made back in 2017. (Not saying everyone should do the same)

Steam IDs should be kept with our account info in the database imo (if anywhere at all). If Sony is showing everyone your info and you don’t like it, that is between you folks and Sony imo.

1 Like

I voted: Something else.

Personally, I always use NerArth on most things, so either way this wouldn’t make a difference to me… If I don’t want something associated with that, I simply use a different name.

But honestly, I believe that for either the PSN or the Steam name, it should come down to personal preference. You should be able to choose whether those things are public or not. For instance, if I had children or a younger family member who used any of my accounts, I’d much rather not share any nicknames or other identifying information publicly if possible, and I’m sure other people might feel the same.

3 Likes

Whell a way to personally contact a (ps4 to) PC player or a (pc to) PS4 player. If needed a option added in game to show you discord or forum name.
Adding in game a way to message someone outside the game.

Understand you don’t want boundless to give account information like your game name but the fact is PSN already does this and PS to PS is easier to contact each other.

Don’t know if this also is true for PC players but PSN players can see psn names all the time no matter with which alt you are playing.
But PS4 to PC all alts are a mystery we don’t know if we are dealing with the same person.
Not that we need a specific name just an alternative way to reach each other.

I’m agree.

First, the privacy of the persons is not violated because what is shown is the public profile name of the platform with which you access the game (steam or ps4), no personal information is given.

Second, this game is not about survival where everything is worth in order to survive, but it is a largely social game where all in-game content depends on the community and the different associations of players that undertake community services. In order for this part to be carried out without much trouble, a player’s reputation is a very important part of the game, which depends on some of the decisions you can make in this game.

I think it is fair and necessary to know the account behind the character. It improves the reliability to partner within the game to create more content for the game itself, which also benefits the game.

1 Like

The steam login name is not shown to anyone publicly, and for security reasons, it should not.

Login names and displayed names should be different as that is one less bit of account information you are giving away for free to someone who might want to try to break into your account.

4 Likes

i know but your ps name is the same or not ? i know that this is a security reason. thats why i wonder that psn show it

or is psn only a display name ? if yes can you change it ?

Nope, PC players can’t see PSN names or steam IDs…unless we are steam friends. And yes, PSN people can change their info too.

I think everyone can build a full in game reputation, as you can in most games, without all the other info being added and if they want to give out more info, that’s their choice.

I don’t want console rules/restrictions on me…I’m not a console player.

3 Likes

I know nothing about PSN, but there are many online services that do not follow best practices for security and will automatically use your login name for your display name.

Star Citizen is the only game that I am aware of that will force you to make the two different from each other.

I hear good things about Star Citizen btw. How is it?

How about a compromise. Show the first 5 characters of both steam and psn names. Enough that we can tell who is who; not enough to track people down.

There’s also an option in game to hop to someone’s psn profile (if you’re on PS4) and friend or message them. I find this useful, but I get the feeling people would suggest it should be removed?

I don’t think this would help anyone contact someone outside of the game - if that’s the goal. If you delete your aliases on steam or don’t have any and make your profile private, I don’t see how that would help anyone know who you are or reach you.

If someone doesn’t want to be contacted outside of the game by other players, then people shouldn’t be able to hunt them down.

It’s really easy to make info available, if you do want people to be able to contact you outside of the game.

cant understand that mimimi… you dont have to add anybody to your friend list… if you give another people infos about you, man… thats your fault… what should be this example with this 6 years old daughter? cant understand what your nick has deal with it… your nick give nobody infos about you, thats just you…

Exactly, therefore what is the point in adding this info if it doesn’t help you contact PC players? It won’t.

The goal with 5 characters would be to prevent fraud while preserving privacy. Obviously it wouldn’t help with contact - you explicitly said you don’t want to have people able to find you on steam, right?

I doubt it.

Nope. I said I made my profile private…that’s not the method of contact I prefer. My prerogative. I do want people to be able to contact me however, so I have provided everyone with several methods…very easy and no one has had trouble.

I also said I quit using PSN…100% PC now.

the fact the name can be renamed undermines this 100%, if you want to prevent fraud then a permanent identifier would need to be used.

Boundless could make it so that each account would need to have an unchangeable global display name or number, failing that, boundless can take an external permanent identifier and use that, or create a hash of that data and use it if there are some concerns about flat out using a outside permanent identifier.

Steam doses have a permanent identifier, but it is not the steam name, it is the SteamID or „steamID64“

But all of this also paves the way for people to track whos alt belongs to who for not so good reasons such as in game harassment,

1 Like

I heard this was a PSN requirement for all games. Being a console network they opted for this as an anti-trolling incentive over any related privacy concerns.

From reading around, later they made it so you can also change it so, it seems rather pointless to me. This forces game devs to carry on with revealing who you are but doesn’t provide the original anti-trolling incentive at all.

I don’t think I’m the only person that REALLY doesn’t want this. At best it’s irritating and at worst it’s a stalker-aid.

Yeah if there was enough trouble that they decided this was necessary I’d rather a unique, generic, local ID like a number or generated account id that isn’t otherwise usable to identify, access, or contact the account.

2 Likes

Info yes account name atm no unless you go trough the entire hassle with ps to change it for you. What we can do is use an alt psn account and have the account that purchased “game” as primary.
So I understand if you meant that.
But wish I could change my account name after more than 10 years the hassle of People not knowing how to call it…

On psn not really a problem with it… other people that play boundless on PS4 already can message me trough boundless by selecting “watch profile” in game and msg me trough my profile.

So don’t really see a problem with it. And if someone bothers me i can block them. And never hear from them again.

Don’t get me wrong understand the way you see it and probably others as well.

In the end all that i am saying there should be a better way to get in contact with someone instead of using several different services.

And would not mind if PC sees my Account Name to.

Would like to note PSN name is displayed under the character name in game and only visible for PSN players.

2 Likes