Rental servers

Thank you for taking the time to read my long posts.

1 Like

the way rented worlds would probably work, through what has been stated, is that there is private and rented worlds. Private worlds are fully disconnected from the main universe and can have what ever resource generations you want, you could have massive amounts of diamonds spawning just below the dirt, while a rental world is pubic and connected to the main universe, so has to have the same resource spawning mechanics as every other public world, except for the colours that the owner choose and a few things to make owning your own world worth it, like blacklisting players and giving access to friends.

Which is the problem I have with it. Making a world with colored blocks that no one else can get else where that is connected to the main universe and being able to blacklist people off of it and preventing them from getting those blocks themselves, creates a pay to win situation where the owner then haves a leg up on selling those blocks because no one else can get them with out also paying to get a server on their own. or paying the owner to buy the blocks.

1 Like

the thing is with the colours they will be the same colours that can spawn on other planets, the colours are only pick able within the same list, which means that whatever colours someone picks can exist on a normal world.

so, it really isn’t pay to win (as far as I can see) as I can still buy them off him with in game coins, which you can make by selling things and levelling

If that is indeed the case, that the worldGEN settings will be clamped to what is already publicly there on current worlds, then that is better, but there is still the problem of people having worlds where only them themselves can mine gems deep underground and then import those gems to the main universe. I don’t feel people should be able to buy their own private mine that no one else can mine in, there are a lot of gems on a world in total.

the resource generation is still linked to the way resource generation is on the normal worlds, which means that if you choose to have a world that has diamonds on it, they will be just as rare as if you were on a non rented world, getting the same amounts as someone mining on a different planet and the player who rents to world still has to go mining for them, still has to make/buy the tools to mine them and still has to get enough to use in crafting.

Just want to throw my two cents on this point. There’s nothing to be gained by forcing the players that don’t like the balance of the game to play on the public servers. They’ll just not play the game and the population drops anyway. A few players I know, have the game but are not playing it because they dislike how grindy it is or because they feel that the game in its current state does not work for their playstyle.

So, those players are already ‘out’ of the public servers, for the most part. Others may very well leave soon. So, they might want to play the game, just not in the current state, and the only option then is to not play at all and find a different game. How does that help boundless? It doesn’t.

However, with private servers, those players may not interact with the public universe, but they’re still going to be playing the game, and paying the developers for rented worlds. This certainly helps Boundless and changes nothing in terms of the population of the public servers.

Some of those lapsed players might even end up deciding to split their time between private and public worlds. They might not build on the public servers, necessarily, but still log on to help their friends with projects, to socialize, or do group hunts, and so on. It’s much easier to have 'em at least participate in the public servers if they don’t feel like the game is ostracizing them and forcing them to play other things that better suits their style.

5 Likes

Not really. because on current worlds alot of areas are already mined out and you have to spend a little time trying to find a area that is not mined out. This adds a bit more effort into the situation, and gives more value to the gems, and for a game that is trying to drive a Econ with how limited getting coin is in the 1st place. I would think you should not be allowed to pay a lump sum of money to bypass part of the effort to get the gems, which involes finding a stake that is not already cleaned out by another player

The best solution for these rented worlds if they are connected to the game world is to make them all T1 worlds so you cannot farm high level resources and benefit from paying money for them otherwise it becomes a entirely new issue.

I really don’t see a reason to have them at all in an mmo as that ruins the entire point of this type of game genre unless completely separate and have nothing on them special.

well that is why the devs are able to spawn in more worlds, if the current set of worlds is starting to get permanently stuck at low resource levels, then the devs can gen a new planet with the same resources

But happens if a player wants a high level world, as they want to go on grand hunts for fun and don’t want to have to deal with other players helping them?

what if players want to have challenge as they build and explore?

I think a better way to make rented worlds fairer, is if the amount of resources spawned on a world is slightly less then the normal worlds.

low resource levels is not always a bad thing, that is up to the devs to pick how low they are willing to let that go, and where they want the Econ to go. that is different then being able to pay some money and bypass 100% having to deal with the low resource situation.

If they don’t want to deal with other people, then don’t play on a public server, especially one that haves a Econ where other players taking stuff can drive up the value of stuff.

true, but the Devs would still want to have the economy work, so would still probably spawn in new worlds and if they don’t personally spawn a new world, the auto world generator will create new worlds as the player population increases

If they want anything outside of a t1 world then disconnect it from the game world.

Otherwise it becomes a pay2win issue and people need to remember this is not how mmo’s are supposed to work with separate private servers / worlds that people can benefit off of.

Again this is different because the new worlds that are spawned in by the devs, dosen’t give a select group of players exclusive access to valuable stuff.

yeah probably, but there should always be enough public worlds where several rented worlds wouldn’t effect the economy to hard

1 Like

but, it is still not pay2win, as you still have to work really hard to find and gather those resources and to then use them in crafting and if they are used in tools, then those tools would break, which means they need to make more.

You can simply plot a hollow cube around, say, an area that has diamonds, leaving the hollow part of the cube to regenerate but stopping anyone from mining there. How is that any different?

Private mines are already a possibility, rented worlds change nothing in that regard.

1 Like

because that takes a lot more effort to do then just paying a lump sum of money and automaticly having it done for you, also that effects a much smaller scale, then the whole world. Also sometimes there are ways to find holes in such a system and get in to the mine anyhow, it gives room for error by the player trying to control that zone.