Rethinking the world regen

so,

i just logged into boundless to find the Titanium Seam which was the main factor in choosing where I set my beacon machines and build my little base… Has not regenerated back to the titanium that was there. Now its rock.

Im sorry, but remind me… what is the point of a world regen if the only thing it does is present players with negative experiences. You lose your construction that isnt beaconized and you can only farm an resource from a particular location Once.

This makes no sense. Id rather the world DIDNT regen at all than have it regen totally different blocks than were there originally.

This means the Gold and Silver seams my other two beacons are near have likely regenerated into just random plain boring useless (to me right now) blocks. This means there is no way to place a beacon and have a mine of your own to reliably farm.

Here is my Suggestion. Blocks within say, 250 Blocks of a beacon will regen back to their original state. This way we can Locate and have actual ‘mines’. Where we repeatedly ‘mine’ for ores that are reliably there.

Blocks in excess of 250 squares away from a beacon but no more than 500 will not regenerate.

Blocks in excess of 1000 (or some other better number) from a beacon will regenerate to random blocks.

Here is suggestion two. Two types of beacons. Regen and non-regen.
Regen beacons will allow the same blocks to regenerate time after time after time as long as its within that beacon. The non-regen will work as is.

Regen beacons should be the size of regular beacons. Non-regen beacon plot size should be doubled.

You clearly don’t understand the point of regen, it’s so worlds do not get desecrated. The point is not so people can free farm resources easily by looking in the same spot. I think you’re just being greedy. Also resources do not only re spawn as rock they redistribute among caves making you have to look again for them. Visiting the same cave you have mined after it regenerates does not mean it is all rock it simply means the quantity and distribution of resources will be different.

3 Likes

i clearly?

i know that its so players dont eventually get to a spot with absolutely no blocks or resources anymore due to usage.

but if you read my suggestion maybe you can tune your attitude and try understanding my point. thanks for your reply, i guess.

First thought: people shouldn’t be able to “camp out” on good mining spots.

One, this prevenue some of the need to explore.

Two, idk how big the world’s will be, or the number of players in relation, but this would allow groups of people to claim entire areas completely. Meaning, other players would have no chance at finding good spots to mine as they would all be claimed.

Does that make sense?

Also let me ad, that part of the reason i joined this game was early discussions about having your own mines locking down plots of land and charging people money to travel or farm there. Cant do this in any reliable way if its gonna have a totally rng based regen mechanic.

Secondly as far as greed is concerned, keep your insults to yourself. It was a little area that had four titanium blocks. If youre pissed because you cant find any, dont take it out on me.

Theres not even a reason to ‘be greedy’ as nothing worth while can be purchased really with the coins and there is no premium currency that you can trade that obtains exclusives. You dont know me, at all… so you should probably keep your opinions on my motives to yourself.

not really when youd need to have the beacon space to surround an area entirely from every side above and below, in order to lock it down as is. Placing your beacon ON it prevents the world regen, hence my second suggestion in the OP.

ALSO

this game is so early in development, and has such a small player base most of which isnt really even active on a daily basis, that doing so wouldnt matter.

All they would need to do is Limit how many worlds you can have beacons on. Then if players venture too far from a starter planet their beacon would be removed and the stuff for new players would still be there.

LASTLY

you DONT know how many worlds there will be and DONT know how big the worlds are. as such, your fears and thoughts as to why it wouldnt be a good idea dont really apply. The worlds are big enough, theres not a lot of players and there should be plenty of worlds. the old javascript build had like fourty of them. and that was like a year ago.

lastly if trees can regen in the same spots with the same wood i dont see why ores shouldnt do that anyhow.

Mines are mines for a reason.

So not claiming that your ideas doesn’t have merits but a few answers to some of what you said:

Keeping a steady suply of avialable resources and keep the worlds somewhat pristine. Sure it comes with negatives but I really haven’t seen a better solution to the problems having a sandbox mmo with playerdriven ecomony pressents.

I am pretty sure that is the exact point of the materials being reolcated, if you have reasonable easy access to all resources the game stagnates, why would you need to explore or do something new if all your needs can be covered by a couple of beaconed areas?

The idea makes sense to some degree if having infinite resources available is what you strive for, but why exactly a non regen zone between the fixed regen and random regen zone?

Also those number are way way too large if anything it should be adjacent beacon zones or something like that a small guild could cover a world with those numbers O_o

This idea on the other hand seems way more balanced, and easier to work with. :+1:

Because trees are already available an-mass already? moving it 40 blocks to the left would do 0 for making it less available.

The idea itself is intersting but constant same-spot regen would make resources too common I think, if some kind of regen should be done what about going about it this way: (Assuming thats possible to code)

Resource clusters when they spawn for the first time gets tagged with a set amount of same place regens based on their rarity, (higher rarity means slightly more regens but a higher regen time) every time the cluster regenerates itself it removes 1 point from the number of regens available.

This would make camping out a spot viable but at some point still remove the resource it still come with the problem of the regen counter resetting every time someone move into the area though.

7 Likes

The reasoning for my wording has nothing to do with not being able to find resource, its quite the contrary. Yesterday I mined 200 hard coal, 50 gold, 40 silver, 40 rubies, and a few medium / large fossils from a single cave I found. This was probably the best cave I have ever mined. If I could come back every day and mine that place like a routine, I think it would be busted.

2 Likes

In all honestly research needs to be done when you are looking at playing a game, especially early development games because sometimes we have preconceived ideas about how things should function vs. how they actually do. I am all for regen because it is such a nice thing to have a crisp clean world and only the blocks that are built on have to be plotted out. The resources WILL stay in the general area which is fine because it just means you need to find them again. There may be changes and discussions like these and new ideas like you mentioned such as regen plots and non-regen plots are a good idea! Let’s hope the developers will have some input on this discussion.

2 Likes

Seems that the world regen is working exactly as intended. If it put that titanium vein back in the same place for you to mine over and over, you are effectively duplicating it without putting any additional work into finding more. How boring! Also, you can charge people to mine your region. Resources spawn again randomly, but near their previous spot (exact distance unknown). Dense regions will remain dense after many times mining it, but you will have to dig and discover it all again every time.

PS. I sense raised tempers in this thread. Let’s relax a bit, ya?

12 Likes

Amen, brother.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

4 Likes

I want a dislike/downvote feature.

Why would you think the same blocks spawning in the same exact spot would be good? The game would devolve to:

• dig up a resource
  • wait a day
  • dig up the same resource again, from the same spot
  • repeat, and repeat

No exploring, no planning, no progress. Just mining the same blocks over and over and over again. This has got to be one of the worst suggestions I’ve seen. I do hope you come to realize how awful it would be for gameplay.

3 Likes

Put away the pitchforks, the point has already been made a few times over and over again :sweat_smile: :pitchfork:

4 Likes

To be fair placing a beacon to secure a mining spot for an extended period of time was an example used in the original pitch from when I bought the game.

3 Likes

personally i like the way the regen system is at mo (ok so its not perfect,but still works as intended without going into complicated coding,team is limited and doesn’t have a vast amount of funds unlike bigger companies)

also as the economy will be player based having people gain control of certain resources allows them to dictate/manipulate prices which is bad for the economy in the long term (much like it is with mmo’s)

if the system was any different it would just cause problems for the devs or making bug fixing more complicated then it needs to be,also easier to control/adjust how the regen works and resource spawn rates…

2 Likes

I like 90% of what @Valkirth is saying here, and I want to second it in a way (I don’t like the fact that I’m level 30something for mining and have yet to find a single gem, or anything other than soft coal, medium coal, copper, iron, silver, and 10 gold).

I believe being able to claim resources in a big way would be bad simply because I feel like if I couldn’t afford to buy something, I should be able to go and make it. It may take a ton of work on my part, but I don’t like being pigeon-holed into doing things a certain way based on other player’s behaviors.

However, in accordance with @Thorbjorn42gbf, I also remember when a pitch of being able to claim resources was used as a means to attract people to the game. I was attracted by that potential.

I’m not convinced that, as the state of the game is, we actually can say whether anything needs changed or not. We have skill trees coming that, when implemented, will make mining easier in a lot of ways. We’re apparently going to die less when we fall in caves, potentially be able to move around the world faster (making finding resources easier) and be able to physically mine faster and get more results. Those previewed skill trees remain ambiguous enough that we don’t really have any idea how those skills will effect the gameplay.

I have played two kinds of games that I don’t want Boundless to turn into: Ones where it’s incredibly hard to do anything on your own, and so you’re forced to be in large groups of people that you don’t like just to get by, and others where it’s so easy to do everything that there’s no point in working with others. Neither way is fun.

Perhaps, if we wait to see how the skilltrees and abilities that come with them effect the gameplay first, then this entire thread would be worthy of another visit. IMHO, we’re not ready to make judgements on the current system of regen because all the complaints/naysayers are working in an incomplete system right now. This includes me. For all I know, maybe the skilltrees will make it so that we’re in dire need of a world regen overhaul. But, I’m willing to wait and see.

3 Likes

that defeats the purpose of ‘locking down’ areas with beacons then charging miners… as its only good once…

‘These five gold blocks go to the highest bidder!’… Maybe if there were many more players it would seem like less of a negative than a positive.

We should absolutely be able to camp the rare resource spots considering you need so much per person minimum of each rare resource to do anything…

Just like to say that I think the current regeneration mechanics are fine. Resource distribution could be tweaked but that’s a different point.

I like the way beacons work and I like that I can reserve a mine “entrance” or scaffold structure and the world regenerates around my plot. I don’t want to find the same resources in the same place! Sure it’s easier and predictable but where’s the challenge?!

8 Likes