Review badge for Steam review

Hey there, was curious how I get the review badge for my steam review found here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/itsthat1dude/recommended/324510/

you can’t earn this

was only 1 week avaible

Is there any harm with making this a permanent option for players?

Review Boundless however you see fit and receive the badge on our forums.

10 Likes

make a new badged, but not the old

1 week is 1 week and not for ever is my opinion

1 Like

Connoisseur
For posting a review of Boundless

It has nothing in the description that says one week only.

1 Like

look on the link for the badge

Eh, if it can be dished out automatically without taking up too much time from the devs, I see no reason not to give it out.

11 Likes

I agree with @Saint_X. Please make a new badge. IMO badges are something like “achievements” and this badge was for a particular “event” and IMO should not be given out now.

Maybe you can rename it in “Review 2016 Badge” and create a new for 2017 ?

1 Like

Ah. Didn’t see the dev log for it. I had only seen the badge in the list and figured I just had to link it.

Oh well. Thanks for the info though.

But … but … then I can’t get the 2017 achievement badge … I’ve already written a review! Now I’ll never get the full set! :disappointed_relieved:

I’m happy for anyone to write an honest review of the game (prefer good honest ones though!) and get a badge for their efforts. It’s all promotion for Boundless and the more good reviews the more likely others will be to join the community!

Do the Leaders have the ability to assign badges? If so, it could be something we can manage between ourselves and relieve the devs of the manual process.

4 Likes

@james is this possible?

1 Like

My understanding of the forum engine, this is not possible for our tier. While I feel we are more than up to the task, I believe it should remain solely in the devs hands to issue badges, either manually or automatically. We had discussed the possibility of badges being displayed in game for example? Putting that ability in the hands of the leaders may undermine that.

If badges were issued manually, it surely would not be too difficult to issue them all at once on a monthly-ish basis until 1.0 perhaps?

Obviously if it can be automated, that would be far more ideal.

1 Like

Discourse docs seem to suggest it’s only possible by an admin.

We created a Discourse plugin to automatically assign the Explorer, Adventurer, … badges. It might be possible to create a plugin to automatically assigned badges for Reviews - but it would take some investigation and code.

I’ll have a bit of an investigate if you want … might be something you can hook up through the Steam API as well.

Possible.

I’m guessing it would require some web scraping + matching up Boundless accounts with Steam accounts.

I was originally thinking along the lines of using a Steam Auth plugin to tie a users discourse account to their steam account, so you can then gain access to their steam reviews. Unfortunately, by the looks of it, reviews are not something that are available through the Steam API, so that was a bit of a dead end!

Scraping individual user review pages and looking for the boundless appid code could be a way to go, with a manual submission by the user of their steam id/username to get this style link (http://steamcommunity.com/id/stretchious/recommended/324510/). You’d then need a way to process those submissions automatically. I think this would be a lot of hassle to setup to be honest.

Alternative would be to look at modifying something like the “Discourse Solved (Accepted answer plugin)” so that multiple individual posts can be clicked, but only by members of a specific rank. That way, players can submit their review to a thread and a Leader / Admin can then mark it as “Has left Steam review”, and they then get their shiny new badge.

Damn, yall are going all out with this. I need to keep studying… I was teaching myself C#, but kinda fell off.

From what I gather a few ppl on the forums work in tech jobs and do networking/programing for a living.

Yea… I’m beyond jealous. I wish I had known that is what I wanted to do. I’m 28 and just now going back to school to be an electronic engineer

<— Web developer … Basically I just like building things :wink: