RIP New Springfield - Please give me Private Worlds

I started and built my place next to a lake because i enjoy the water just like you do. It initially was far from everyone but people found it and settled nearby. Believe it or not, one of them built an ugly purple bridge too haha but you know what? I just lived with it. That bridge is gone now due to regen. The other buildings are not but hey its an MMO and this is expected.
TL;DR live with it and enjoy the game as it is :smiley:

My son and I moved to Tana VII around a week, maybe a few days more after we started to play. We built on what I called a lake, but it was really a large section of the river that made it look that way because of the large hills and the curve of the river.
Anyhow, we had our bases built, I was just getting ready to put the finishing touches on it, the plants to decorate it.
Leave for the night, come back the next day to find out the settlement name had been changed, did some looking and someone had plotted long plots, like setting up for roads from our base to others, taking over them.
Long story short, a forced merge, we reported it; My nice looking ziggurat that I had spent weeks working on, tearing down, redoing, tearing another area down, buying plots because I needed them, I didnā€™t have enough. Cost me around between $10 to $20 for what I needed, so not a lot of money. But enough for my needs, plus I placed plots making a border that was empty but room for me to expand.

The base my son built, tall tower on the water, laid out plots for shops to be set up beside him for future players who might move there. We were ready to put a portal in, had our dream place built with plans to make it bigger in the future.
Destroyed, ruined, I actually cried, our name had been taken, the person had placed plots so we couldnā€™t expand, and the name was horrible. A big white tower had been started behind me and wide area cut toward the hill which was for a road.
We packed up, moved to Seggy (canā€™t spell the name) and I am happier there. We moved next to a already in place settlement, Exodus, we have a huge section of a river in front of us, my son built on the river another tower. I am working on my lighthouse on the river, have a dock with a dingy beside it, LOL. We have our beautiful view of water, across it a area with trees and flat land that I can ā€œsitā€ and watch the goats and spitter run around on. Stand and look at the sky at night and see the stars and planets. We have hills around us, not as big as what is in my real home (live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, around 500 feet high most of them). The warden removed some plots so we can expand and have a section for a farm when they come out.
What seemed horrible, the ending of a dream became better for us.

You might have that too, heck, you could move to Exodus and build away from the settlement and probably not have to worry about others building around you, Iā€™ll even help you plot off land so you canā€™t be taken over, have close to 2k cubits to buy plots now, I will remove them as you get plots to replace them. Iā€™ll place them and give you permission to them and remove them when you want.

I know, a long post, but I wanted you to know you are not alone in such a event, and for us, it was a blessing in disguise. The person who did the forced merge had all the plots taken from him, we were given back our settlement and our name, but to me it would never be the same. I didnā€™t want to stay there.

1 Like

I am glad you found a new start elsewhere, but I do not want to move to another world. Antar VI is the only world that fits my color scheme, and the beauty of it is unmatched anywhere. Therefore I would gladly pay rent for a private world where I could choose the option to have Antar VI ā€œSkinā€ on the world.

Understandable, for me the color of green is important. My husband and I once took a trip and was driving through a flat area that was for farming, tall golden grass everywhere, no trees in sight, no hills in sight. It was open, looked horrible, to us.

We went, if we were attacked in this country, where could you hide and shoot them from? Where are the hills that you can run in and not be seen, trees you can set traps from and climb up and shoot them? Felt wrong to me.
Now, for those who live in those areas, they wouldnā€™t like the hills I have in my area, there are valleys with some flat area for farmers, dairy farms, small cattle herds and lots of goats, LOL But it is mainly hills, we are surrounded by hills, beautiful green trees that are all colors in the fall, oranges, browns, copper, gold, yellow-greenish and the pines that are always green. It isnā€™t for everyone, but perfect for me and hubby.

Iā€™m not sure about thatā€¦ recently I had a discussion with James about developing a local install version of a world so that we would could run it ourselves and build there. I personally think that might be more popular.

2 Likes

I know of a few streamers that are holding off playing (or getting back into Boundless) until there are rented worlds available as they want to be able to build with their communities, without fear of infringement on territory etc.

If anything, I think that these will bring more people to the game as you will see streamers with communities banding together to explore, hunt and build, which is essentially free advertising which would help the game gain more traction. Boundless is supposed to be community-centric after all.

13 Likes

The argument saying that private server will ruin the community is not really true. Those who want to build a community and be part of one will stay together on public worlds. People like me, who play on public worlds but actively try to avoid big communities and other peoples builds are already not part of such communities, other than hunts, trading etc, which we would still do with our own private worlds. It really doesnā€™t change anything except that we donā€™t have to worry about said problems.

I can definitely understand and see how many streamers would favor this game much more if they were able to stream and play in peace without getting harassed by 12yo memers.

3 Likes

It moves the game away from having a persistent world and being an MMO. The thing that distinguishes it from other voxel games.

1 Like

As long as the rented world adheres to the same rule-set as the public planets (IE no waterfalls made of diamonds lol) the Devs said it would be part of the persistent universeā€¦ only thing is the renter controls who can do what thereā€¦and even if that means we cannot break a single block there I am OK with thatā€¦

Consider thisā€¦if you are a respected player (meaning your not a jerkface lol) I am sure most people would whitelist you to be able to mine as long as you respected the ownerā€™s wishes and stayed say well away from the areas they are settling in. Perhaps theyd set up a couple plot beacon, add you as a friend, and give you permsā€¦theyā€™d remain in control and you could use it as a storage facilityā€¦whatever. I imagine MOST owners will WANT people to mine and forage on their worldsā€¦after all they would control the ONLY portal network to their world if they were smart. If they allow other settlements if they were wise theyā€™d allow portals to those builds from the ownerā€™s city and back but force all interplanetary traffic through the renterā€™s portal to other worlds.

Devs deserve a money stream and rented worlds works to help them thereā€¦

Just my 1/2 pennies worth.

4 Likes

I would be conpletely fine with worlds not having any ā€œvaluableā€ resources. Give me a world that is exactly like Antar VI on the surface and just nothing but rock beneath that and I will be happy.

I also donā€™t mind it being open to everyone, as long as only you can build / choose who builds.

Again that is fine. But your poll doesnā€™t contain the option for

ā€œOpen to the public for building for now, but then later I will threaten to blacklist players to extort payment or somethingā€

And even if your poll did have that. I donā€™t think people will admit to it in the poll.

Other players should NOT have the power to kick people off of worlds. If you need this power. host your own server that is not connected to an official server. Just like one of the many self hosted ark servers that runs rampant with admin abuse.

Or is everyone just too excited or greedy for control that they just can not see the fact that this can be abused on other players to quite an extreme degree?

Have you seen what people can do to each other? It can be quite nasty.

3 Likes

I think that could be easily circumvented by a few conditions on black listing players. So if you have any plots or items on a planet and are blacklisted, beacons should be immediately removed from the world and areas should me immediately regenned to prevent stealing of items. Those items can then be saved to the player so they can be accessed for a certain amount of time, allowing them time to relocate to another world.

You would need to have something similar snyway if, for any reason, the person renting the planet stopped paying or they were banned etc.

I think the largest barrier to building on a rented planet would be the risk that the renter stops renting. I would never blame someone for discontinuing a rental. However, I would only build on public planets for this reason.

3 Likes

This might dampen the impact that someone can have. But they still have the power to remove someone by force. Threaten to remove someone by force. and if they do, with this system, now all their stuff is in a big mess. has been uprooted and depending on how much stuff might be extremely annoying to relocate.

This doesnā€™t resolve the threat.

And being uprooted by someone elses will even if you retain all the items. Is still work lost. As it took time to build whatever it is that is being uprooted.

So the threat to extort is still valid.
The ability for another player to be a royal ā–ˆā–ˆā–ˆā–ˆ to another for whatever crude or silly reason is still there.

I would assume this might be difficult. Based on what I see about beacon issues, the items within a beacon are associated with a specific plot and not the actual player. I would assume this was done to prevent the performance issues with associating total inventory with a player.

Simple solution to a private world no longer being paid for but populated by other players is for it to become a public world.

A black lister player should be given a set amount of time to clear their plots, maybe one week before the beacon goes out, but be unable to interact anywhere else on the planet.

This becomes a burden on the devs and can be abused by players to force gen public worlds by just paying for them once. But otherwise would be fine if the devs can handle doing so.

Still means that player now haves a lot of unexpected work to do which may be very annoying depending on the size of the build and again. this is against the players own will and therefore can be used as a threat.

1 Like

A simple pop up is all that is needed to let people know that they are trying to build on a player owned planet, need to be white listed, and that the planet may not last forever. The game is about fun, we shouldnā€™t be handicapping the gameā€™s potential because of petty individuals. People will be what they are, regardless of what everyone else wants. Ignore them, I do.

2 Likes

Clearly people are incapable of doing this, otherwise they would not feel the need to have the amount of control they are asking for to be able to kick people off of worlds.

We shouldnā€™t be giving people moderation powers on a server that is hosted by an official entity, We are not handicapping anything by preventing people from banning people off of worlds.

2 Likes

If you pay irl $ to rent a planet and for whatever reason you feel the need to blacklist someone from accessing it, so be it. People can go to another planet, rent your own, or stay on the 100% public ones - thereā€™s plenty of room. Why would anyone feel entitled to something someone else is paying for anyway? I sure wouldnā€™t/donā€™t.

6 Likes