RIP New Springfield - Please give me Private Worlds

I honestly don’t see a problem with people banning people off of their worlds, or simply whitelisting building rights. But I also wouldn’t be bothered by not being able to visit or build on a planet that wouldn’t have existed without the players in the first place. The end result is the same from my perspective.

4 Likes

If you feel the need to pay IRL money to blacklist people off of the world, then create a server that is not connected to the main game server, there is clearly no reason for you to be connected to the main game server if you really are that afraid of someone existing on your world, even if they aren’t able to build or break any blocks on it.

I don’t feel entitled to anything. What I feel is the amount of potential abuse this haves and how it can be used against other players in underhanded ways. I see absolutely no reason to give people the power to ████ other people over, when it is that person themself who seems to have the problem. If they can’t handle the social situation, then they themselves should remove themselves from it, not remove others and give people the power to be total jerks to one another.

This is fine.

This isn’t

If the game offers players the ability to rent planets, some people will…including myself. Everyone will have different reasons.

I doubt anyone will pay irl $ to rent a planet just so they can block someone. That makes no sense.

If I rent a planet, I expect a good bit of control over what goes on. Otherwise, there would be no point in renting a planet.

You are assuming something will happen, and it hasn’t. We can all speculate. No one is giving anyone power over another player. No one is forcing you to spend time on someone else’s rented planet. You can stay on the current public planets and the rented ones won’t interfere with your gameplay at all. Or you can rent your own.

What if someone renting a planet kicks the bucket and their planet dies? That would be more of a concern to me than someone kicking me off their planet.

This structure works great in other MMOs…I’m sure it will work great in Boundless too, in it’s own way. :+1:

1 Like

The thing is @Trundamere …the ability to blacklist a player would be there for a reason. If a player decided to grief the other player’s planet/builds, then they should be blacklisted, because they acted maliciously. Most players won’t blacklist another player just because they can.

If I pay for a private world, I would like to have permissions in case something were to happen.

3 Likes

It makes sense from an extortionist perspective.

Yes you can have a fair amount of control. But not the level of control that opens up pathways of abuse on an official network. You are not an dev, You are not an Admin, You are not a Mod.

Have you seen what other players try to do to each other in games? Give them the power to do so and sooner or later, they will. The only reason it hasn’t happened is because no one other then the devs at this time have the power to ban anyone out of any world.

What if the devs kick the bucket and the whole game dies? This isn’t about natural events that might happen. This is about NOT giving other players even more power to abuse each other and the like.

Which MMO?

This is why I do support the whitelist/blacklist for Building rights and breaking blocks, but NOT for access since the latter can be abused far more then the former.

2 Likes

Why are you so upset at people who play solo? You’ve made a lot of assumptions about why someone would play solo, fear being one of the major ones I guess, so I’m just wondering why?

3 Likes

Considering I play this game solo for the most part, Do not trade, Do not interact with the Econ and therefore Immune to alot of problems. I am not upset at people who want to play solo.

I do not like giving people the power to ████ other people over. It is that simple.

1 Like

My advice for anyone who fears being blacklist/whitelist extorted, just don’t build on a private world…

4 Likes

@Trundamere I believe you can blacklist players from your guild, if you wish. I don’t see/hear anyone abusing that.
It is reserved for those who are being extreme.

2 Likes

How doses kicking someone out of your guild cause loss or the threat of loss of PERSONAL assets?

2 Likes

You don’t utilize a lot of the game features and don’t participate in the social aspects and you call everyone else anti-social? Interesting.

I believe your fears are un-founded. The game needs to progress and is doing so. Every MMO with clans, clubs, guilds, lands, regions, etc…gives the founder the ability to ban people if needed. Any game can be exploited. Adding more features/function to Boundless won’t all the sudden cause ppl to become jerks, if they weren’t already before. If you don’t like the rules of a specific town, guild, clan, club, planet, leave and make your own. Simple.

3 Likes

If you are so worried about this, then you should continue to play away from others - as you suggested, or rent your own planet. If a player renting a planet can’t maintain the cost and the planet dies (as happens now with gleam club and towns rotting into the ground), people would lose everything.

2 Likes

What if they sunk all of their coin in to a guild buff and then get kicked out of the guild? They have lost an asset that is unrecoverable.

3 Likes

You could also lose your builds, since you might’ve given the guild your beacon permissions.

2 Likes

Well, suppose Jivita makes a server… people are gonna be :star_struck::heart_eyes::drooling_face: wanting to build there. However, Jivita seems like a nice, honest person and I doubt very seriously he would blacklist anyone who didn’t go above and beyond to truly deserve it. Most servers would fall on this side of the Villain/Saint spectrum.

2 Likes

No @Jiivita would blacklist people and #BlameJeff … because everything wrong with this game is @Jeffrotheswell fault!

4 Likes

I don’t need to utilize something to observe others doing so or to make an statement of how someone might abuse it. I like to study player behavior. But as for what I think your really trying to get out. I do not use the Econ because I disagree with it. and I prefer to be self sustaining. I do go on public hunts as a healer. And as you can see I obviously contribute to the social aspect of this forum by offering my view points. As unpopular some of them might be. I do it anyway.

It is possible but that doesn’t mean we should go out of our way to give people levels of power that is over the top.

Let me make this abundantly clear. I am not concerned about myself. I come from PvP games and other games with very harsh Environments, I can handle myself, I know what I am doing. it is other players being abused I am concerned about

A donation is different then Plotting AND building something yourself with the expectation that you own it.

I am not 100% sure how this works.

Paying for a guild buff is not a donation. It would be the same as paying for a mega fast brew, you expect to have the buff. You paid for it.

A guild buff is or should be a group effort. If you solo paid for it. There is a problem. And yes it is a risk. But it is alot smaller and less damaging then someone building something epic on a world in his or her OWN plots, only for someone to threaten to take it away.

What you think doesn’t make it so.

That’s your right, but it is part of the game and a lot of people enjoy participating in it.

^ Your own words.

We won’t be doing anything, we don’t own/code the game. Planet permissions, beacon permissions, guild permissions…all perfectly fine & part of the game. All given/taken/controlled by the devs.

Good because a lot of players are waiting for these new planets & features. It will help the game grow so that they can provide us with more content in the future.

I play a lot of other games too.

If you are on someone’s rented planet, you should have no expectation of any ownership. If you want ownership, rent a planet.

BL currently encourages players to share ownership of beacons, machines, cities, etc. People quit, get mad at each other then people lose everything they’ve been working hard for. Everything you are worried about, pretty much already happens. If you participated a bit more, you might be aware of this.

2 Likes