RIP New Springfield - Please give me Private Worlds

Interesting. Can you create anything permanent in them?

I can lock down the regions so that no one can destroy a cool build after it’s created, if that’s what you mean. Everything stays put unless someone removes it or until I delete the club (ain’t gonna happen lol)

People also have these one plot wide homes/workshops that are connected to the player that they can place in any active/public world so that they can use their workshops.

1 Like

Ok so the building is not necessarily “beaconed” by a player. But they have a customizable pop-up workshop that is bound to the player?

No, there are both.
My one plot workshop that I can take anywhere

One of my club planets:

The game has a store so it can make irl $, the players have a marketplace and they can hand trade:

2 Likes

If there was PvP we could fight for sovereignty LOL

This is not a serious suggestion for BL btw - just chewing the cud 
 :wink:

Thinking of the EVE model (sorry to keep on about it). There are loads of unclaimed systems in the pvp regions and there is a mechanic to take control. Once you have control you can build. There are wars to destroy the builds and take over the systems. Often because the way they are linked they have strategic or resource benefits.

But in EVE there is no “creative construction” - you’re just placing objects that take months/years to farm for.

OK I’ve never heard of the game. Is there much fall-out when a club gets deleted?

No because people just go to a different one or make their own.

1 Like

Money shouldn’t buy you the power to be able to be an jerk to another.

Yes money income is important, and they can still get that, without giving people the Ability to be jerks to one another.

I don’t approve because it will be abused against other players and no. I will not ignore the situation, I will keep creating posts like this to simulate conversation about the topic as long as this is still up in the air and we have very little information to go on.

Also I did a little research in to this just a little bit. And as far as I can tell, you can not ban people out of your world in that game either, even thou the area is player owned. At worse it looks like you can kick a player from a world which is not permanent so they can just reenter if they want. The potential for the abuse I am concerned about happening to other players in boundless I do not think is possible in Trove in the way It can happen. But I do not know enough about that game,

Yes, I can ban people, I can kick them out, etc. And I’ve had to do that a few times. They cannot re-enter. They added these perms so that ppl cannot grief worlds, follow and harass people, etc.

We have a lot of additional information & perms we can access via command line such as “/kick”

Then their documentation is out dated. Of course it would be
 But at any rate I do not know enough about that game to be able to evaluate if doing such can come with the threat of the loss of personal assets at this time.

I’ve been playing it for years. It works great. They added perms to prevent people from getting griefed, but able to share and play together. Sometimes ppl just love being jerks to others. When you have thousands of people in an MMO, there’s no way the mods can efficiently deal with every report in a timely manner. By adding more perms, it lifted some of the burden off of the devs.

I disagree with this. But the company I am used to dealing with when it comes to this kind of thing doses have a lot of experience in doing so. so it may be jolly unfair to compare them to Riot but It can be done.

I’m sure it works well for that game. At this time. I don’t really see how it can be abused to extort another player at this time. I would need to learn more about the game.

With the current BL team, it doesn’t seem possible. I hate seeing devs dealing with mod stuff
I’m thankful they do, but I feel like they should have some help in that dept.

These guys handle it just fine:
osrs5

1 Like

oh no, with the current BL team absolutely not. They need to hire more people whose role is Player Behavior and nothing else and then something can happen.

One would be a nice start. Can we get one? Just one? Part time maybe if the money is that short?

3 Likes

Players are already being jerks to each other. It does not require money, but they can spend real money to buy plots which they can use to try to extort coin in game for real estate now. There really is not any difference between what you seem to fear and what is already happening.

Players want an option to get away from this behavior in particular as it affects their builds. So rented planets with permissions provides a solution to this. Does this mean that players that rent a planet might not be some of the same jerks already in the game? Sure that is possible. It is up to the developers to figure out the player rules that go along with being the owner of a rented planet. I do think they need to establish some rules around removing permissions once they are granted. No one should be put in a position to lose items they have worked for either because their permissions were removed or the owner stopped paying rent. All it takes is a period of time for the affected player to be able to go to the planet and remove their items.

I mean this goes with out saying. What I am trying to say is spending money, shoulnd’t give you extra power over someone else, in the the manor of something that I feel should be reversed for Admins or mods.

The difference is the threat of the loss of assets. Right now the most someone can do, Is claim alot of land they are not using, which is their right. Or build something ugly up against someone else, which while is annoying and may pop the bubble of some people. The act of doing so doesn’t threaten them losing control over what they have built. They can ignore this if they really wanted to. What someone cannot ignore on the other hand is someone coming on in to what you built and forcing you to uproot it, or steal it away from you.

And it is solved by giving people ACL over who is allowed to build and who isn’t. Adding an access ACL on top of it, doesn’t solve the problem when it is already solved by something else. It only serves to create an pathway of abuse which is harder for an system to dampen the damage of.

As I said, you have to have rules in place so someone that has their permissions removed has to be given time to remove their assets from the rented planet. That is only fair.

Stealing it is handled by my above comment. Yes you do take a chance on a rented planet that you might have to move off and lose the time investment you made to build something. I would be really sure I trusted the person whose planet I was going to build on just like I would have to trust a guild before donating coin. In both cases you are putting yourself in a position where you could be taken advantage of. If this possibility seems to be too much of a threat then players do not have to build or even go to rented planets. The developers certainly can provide warnings when someone places a beacon on a rented planet, so it does not happen inadvertently.

I am sorry but I do not understand how not allowing players to go to a planet at all creates a pathway of abuse or I may not be understanding your last statement.

They haven’t told us what the perms will be yet, nor have they mentioned what people will/won’t be able to do on rented planets. They haven’t said what will happen if someone doesn’t pay rent on a planet or if the planet is deleted. We don’t know.

Money or no money, people should have control over their place. If you move into their place, there’s going to be some risks or shared risks.

Any system can be abused or exploited. There is no absolute way to prevent this, unless the game was offline. Which would mean ̶M̶M̶O̶ sandbox

2 Likes

And what if they fail for whatever reason? Or the time given to them isn’t enough? and depending on the size of the build it might be such an effort to try to break it all down themselves that the prospect of doing so is bad enough.

It seems to be human nature to trust people unfortunately. And I have witnessed and tried to moderate far far more then my fair share of other people being ████ over by trusting the wrong person.

Well I really hope they do some how make it absolutely unquestionably undeniably obviously abundantly clear to even the largest of muppets that this is the case.

Because it doesn’t really solve any problems that aren’t solved by the other ACLs, and it enables someone the power to prevent someone from accessing something they own on the world. Where as if you remove the right to plot and build, they can still access their stuff, even if they can not add on to it, and it gives them as much time as they need to resolve the situation you now forced them in to because you allowed them to build on their world. Trying to also ban someone from even accessing the world adds another layer of complexity on the Situation one that doesn’t really fix any problems that are not already fixed by other ACLs.

We don’t know. If we knew. If I knew, then I wouldn’t be having this conversation at all. There would be less point in doing so if we knew what was going to happen and the devs have already made up their minds about it. and as I said in a prior post. it is 100% possible everything I am talking about is a mute point because either the devs are not going to give people this level of power, or they already have a good system planned out to deal with it.

And you will have control.

There isn’t but that doesn’t mean you should open the gates as wide as possible for maximal abuse potential, In system design you should try to limit things down to what is needed and helpful and not expose everything just because.

The very idea of blocking access to a world is Anti-MMO in my book.

I don’t think that will happen often enough to be a problem, but the rare instances of bad player behavior are why we have a code of conduct. If someone extorts you in this manner, you report 'em, the devs review the case, and they get banned if they acted inappropriately.

Problem solved. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes