RIP New Springfield - Please give me Private Worlds

Hopefully not. But it is something that needed to be talked about.

Itā€™s good to try and figure out all the ways to break the system before the system gets implemented, so I think this discussion is productive as a preventative measure. But if they stick with the plan on charging different values for rental depending on how many players can be online in that world at once, then we will absolutely need either a whitelist or a priority list of some sort.

In either case, I guess theā€¦ least disruptive thing would be for the player that isā€¦ lower on the priority (or not specifically whitelisted) to lose the slot after X minutes when someone with priority takes the slot, and the person displaced gets a free warp for their last coordinates on a public world.

Tho I guess thatā€™s still pretty annoying and could use some more brainstorming.

Another option would be the owner being able to set how many slots will be ā€˜publicā€™ and how many will be reserved to whitelisted people.

I was not even aware this was going to be the case. I assumed it was going to be like every other world with a standardized player cap on it.

If this is indeed the case and we have worlds with only 5 player slots, then yes I see the need to have world access ACL aswell.

The current plan is that itā€™ll have a cap, like every public world, but the ā€˜sizeā€™ of that cap will determine the price range.

So, a planet that can only have 10 people online at once, will be cheaper than one that can have 50, and so on.

Thus the need for some sort of entry control. Would be super annoying if the people that are actively building on that world could never access it because of random people mining or whatever. Also bumping AFK players to the sanctum will need to happen for those planetsā€¦

I think we already established a valid concern of people being banned on worlds they could build on and ensuring they get there stuff. This can be solved by the gift box and possible future blueprint system. The devs will see this and are more than smart enough to see the issue here and make sure that something is in place to cover it. Even if they never saw your post there are enough people that agree with the basic concern and would communicate that we need something.

At this point we probably donā€™t need to go around in circles talking about the same thing when most agree that people should have their stuff and that people that pay should have some control. As of Nov/Dec the devs were not even sure how to handle Rentable planets and it was not at all on the near term roadmap. Considering the massive development time focused on bugs, guilds, and some other content, they probably havenā€™t made tons of effort toward a solid design. Remember rented planets require a whole technology back end that doesnā€™t exist yet.

So lets see how Farming gets released and see what they share as the next roadmap feature. If rented planets on that then we can post our concerns in the thread there. At the end of the day, though, mistakes are going to happen and you cannot design a perfect solution to solve all problems. The devs get that and they arenā€™t intentionally going to put in a system that screws another person.

3 Likes

Well feel free to post to your heartā€™s contentā€¦still remains the fact that with the whitelist feature it is going to be the way it isā€¦
That being said I agree with the fact that we do really need more information and the issue of if the owner gets mad at XXXX and removes him from the whitelist & blacklists XXXX how does the game handle thatā€¦

The club worlds on Trove donā€™t have any special blocks that any player canā€™t access from the randomly generated free worlds. They actually do not have a lot of the resources unless youā€™ve placed them yourself. Also, from when I used to play it, there is a very small chance of people finding your club unless you invite them anyways.

What happens if Person A is paying for a Private connected world, opens this world for others, other ppl start building there and after a while Person A stops paying for it (quitting game, or just dont want the world anymore).

what will then happen to the others that have stuff in that World?

I think private worlds would bring to much problems into our allready underpopulated universe.

If the developers have you pay a month ahead for the planet, then they can notify players with builds that unless someone picks up the tab they have one month to move their items off planet. Or the developers can fund the planet for a month and give the players two months to do it. Or the developers can gift the player everything that was on the planet. They did this in EA when items went missing so they do track what players have where.

Private servers exist in all sorts of games (like Minecraft) if this was such an issue and was constantly abused or created a lot of anger with players why would they still exist?

With players quitting over issue with other players building near them or harassing them, I would think it might help keep players playing instead of rage quitting. Obviously the guilds have not solved all the issues players are having with settlements. If players have the option to build on planets where they know everyone else building, I think the chances of these conflicts decreases.

I also think there is a group of players waiting for rented planets just like there is a group waiting for Titans. If they decide not to do them, they need to tell players now so those that want them can leave now and eliminate the threads asking for them.

2 Likes

Actually there are a lot of things you can only place in the club worlds and no where else, including fixtures with buffs. Yes, itā€™s a sandbox = it is what you make of it. And some people are good at building club worlds and ppl ask to joinā€¦I have several clubs worlds and ppl ask me if they can join them. :wink:

1 Like

Still though, the end-all solution for server-owner-phobia is just donā€™t play on a rented server.

3 Likes

Canā€™t really have a phobia to it if the player is not expecting it to be abused.

This would be simple and less of a debate for me if I knew most people had common sense. But they donā€™t. They donā€™t think about what could go wrong.

1 Like

This is highly subjective and very much just speculation. There is ā€œabuseā€ going on right now. Youā€™d have to have a magical wand to fix society & human nature to prevent t u r d s from messing with people.

Not really when I clearly defined what I am refering to by abuse. Or maybe I donā€™t understand what you are trying to get at.

No such thing.

You keep repeating concern over something that may not even happen. Boundless/Wonderstuck cannot be expected to give you a guarantee against human behavior/actions/thoughts/etc. No one can.

My point exactly.

That is correct. No one can.

My point being damage control.

I assume the team will have to expound on their CoC to include the new worlds. Iā€™m sure they are working on it.

Hopefully.

People really could use servers to grief though. Saw it in Conan, guy would watch someone join the server, level up and build then heā€™d ban them for no reason and laugh about it after a few weeks. Complete sociopath. In that game, you couldnā€™t take anything with youā€¦ your character and stuff were just gone.