Rng forging something else …

I am also capable of forging what I want, but if I decide to do so, by the time I am finished, I lost all interest in playing boundless and log off for a few days,The Forge mini-game wears me out in a way that repels me from the game, so it isn’t a matter that I am unable to, it’s that I hate every moment of it, due to the RNG aspect. and that, I personally consider to be bad game design when something makes me want to flat out play a different game, I understand that some people enjoy the RNG aspect, But I still think it is a flawed concept.

“And even if when I am perfect, and even when I get to the end, and even when I have a chance to win, I lose because it’s random. Like it’s up to random chance sometimes, and I hate random chance, because I hate when it’s just, it’s not entirely dependent on skill, because that means that no matter how hard I try, it’s every possibility that I could lose every single time if it’s random, and I don’t like that.” -Markiplier

4 Likes

Being able for everybody to make what they want would destroy the market, also the game as people will get bored and only use maxed out tools.

Also the forger class gets obsolete in this MMO game when we all can forge what we want.

A bit of gambling element is nice to have.
Forging the good stuff feels satisfying, lets not take that element away from the game.

I think Monumental has a lot of other things to attend to taking over the game.

1 Like

Again I would argue that the market is already trash, and shouldn’t be mostly held up by a single aspect of the game, since you claim that the market will be destroyed if forging was made less-RNG?

Then improve the market if what you say is correct. Don’t destroy the market even more by altering forging.

If I was a dev, I would. Thou people would hate me for it, Since they disliked my ideas of how Exo worlds should have been handled that would have improved the market value of Exo-Exports.

Nobody is doing anything right now. There’s basically no (active) dev team on either side of the pond here it doesn’t hurt for people to chat about their likes and dislikes.

I’m saying this because it’s 100% the stereotype when any mentions a dislike of the forge. Like there’s a group taking turns.

Still I swear one of the best responses here ever :rofl:

1 Like

I am all for improvements, when done correctly and if there is a need for it.

You know things are sour when “we could add it to the forge” becomes a way to siderail feature requests.

Especially when there’s already a suitable system in game to add consumable/cost balanced one-off actions that basically gets ignored.

I still think it needs a rebalance, and some things could be expanded into other, more reliable areas of the game. When it’s presented as the only avenue for adding minor changes to the game - it does quickly become game-wrecking. Sure, sure, IMO.

I guess I would consider adding an augment mount to tools and sharing with weapon augments. At the same time they can consider more expansion to the totem augment system with new augments both for adding new minor things like a one time change to a storage container’s capacity.

Or similar minor features involving things like changing the properties of an item, or as a method to enact an upgrade. Which could be crafted, tradable, or sometimes cubit-able. So to speak.

Not really a new discussion but hey, the crafting and forging sections of the forum seem to have … not really ever existed :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I dont think it would destroy the market, but it would change and then have to rebalance itself.

Anyone currently selling tools that that spent a crazy number of mats to create would have to drop their prices even lower than they already are and at the current rate there are already not very profitable.

I think it would destroy the market when everybody can forge the tools they want.

Then no forged tool would ever be sold.

That would definitely help. The whole magnet, magnet, magnet thing makes me want to pitch my computer at a wall.

I disagree you would still have to gather and make or buy the ingredients. I could technically craft anything since I hoard everything, but I want it now… so I just go buy it.

If you remove the RNG I would still have to wait awhile for the item to craft. Either way, there would be a market just a much smaller one with much less profit.

EDIT: I also dont want the RNG removed.

Or remove a market completely…

I think so far there is absolutely no need to change the market or forging in the game.

Maybe they should focus on bugs before thinking about changing anything else ?

1 Like

There is a whole list of items I detailed along with others that they could probably focus on.
This goes back to something I said early on when I started playing. Boundless has a little bit of an identity crisis.

Is it a creative sandbox or an MMO, or an MMORPG Sandbox or any combination of these. The players we have vary too if you listen to their suggestions. Some want more PVE content and more MMORPG related content and changes and others want it be more like other creative builders where there is no economy, no crafting times and nothing like an RNG system that caters to the economy.

It sadly is a pretty major issue. I mean to me, much like you @SWProzee1 as much as I don’t want it to happen removing the economy or at least the buying and selling of items by players would allow for all the creative based changes a lot of people have suggested.

No RNG, No timers, no economy would totally work just fine.

Maybe just add a different way to achieve the results players want…
Add an item that when applied to a forged tool, will enhance it’s stats.
Or add an item that can copy a forged tool.
Or possibly forge ingredients that have less RNG when used (ie: Special Super + Gum)

The economy will change anyway as more players arrive and as the game is updated with new items.

4 Likes

This is what I’m saying, the forge just comes up too often. In too many ways.

We have augments on bombs and weapons, I’m fairly sure they can be added to tools.

We also have totem augments, that can be used to apply changes to other items, and/or process information taken from remote items - already.

The only things we forge on are consumables, too.

It seems there are plenty of places where “an expected result for a repeatable cost” is a good enough balancing tool.

1 Like

That or even just being able to repair a forged tool would be nice for me.

4 Likes

Remove the RNG, remove the crafting times for the ingredients used to forge, lower the amount of required items to craft the ingredients and have the item craft instantly and as @Trundamere mentions be repairable. System fixed.

I can see room for more specialized gums (for individual boons) that are more expensive to craft on top of the general gums we have now. That way you could start off with higher RNG to save some $$ but then double down with the more expensive gums later to lessen the odds of that last boon ruining the whole thing.

On a similar note, simply having more slots to bring a wider variety of times when forging would be a big help as well. Also being able to load more than 100 of each item would help since running out of items can be a problem when forging 9 items at once. On the flip side, those limitations do make for a delicate balancing act and adds to the puzzle of forging :balance_scale: … which is good in a since, but seems to corner me into strategies that have little to no wiggle room.

The augment system could use some TLC… I think it would be cool to bring them to tools and either move some of the boons to augments or have them shared between them… forge a hammer with + damage & speed but use an augment to add AoE… or forge for AoE & speed but use a +damage augment much the same way we can use augments on slingbows to compensate for their weaknesses or double down for max damage/range/speed etc.

8 Likes

I guess one way to remove the RNG would be to add actual skill based min games for the boons

mmm, for durability

for +range…

for AoE:

and so on?

edit: this is more of a joke than suggestion btw =P

3 Likes