Running Hunt Advice

Been thinking for a while to setup a running hunt. So I’m looking for advice and tips from some of the veterans of the game.

Thinking of starting on a T3 (I do have a T4 but it’s not the best terrain to hunt on) then maybe a T6.

Mainly wondering how are the poles setup? Do they have to be setup in a specific way like platform hunts or is it just setup in the region.

I’m probably overthinking it but my GAD (Anxiety) is getting the better of me. So any tips, help or advice please :pray:

Disclaimer: Not looking to run these whilst others are doing them of course just something to do on the side or spontaneously.

4 Likes

If I understand what you mean by “poles” - they don’t necessarily exist.

The main meteor spawning mechanic to be concerned with is triggered by visiting the center of a region. Not implying anything but for anyone that needs it, this is when the HUD no longer says “north of” or “southeast of” (any direction from) the region, but just says the name.

So the goal is to get to the center of a region, give it a minute, and see what comes. While you’re moving around you’ll be triggering the older, slower spawning system, so as you travel you may see other meteor spawning from that as well as the region centers. That system is slow so you may get some meteors actually triggered by other people.

So depending on how carefully you want to plan things out you can just hold up your atlas and run to the center of the next region. Or you could plan a route.

Other benefits after that start to come with knowing the terrain you’re hunting on, and other time spent. Maybe a certain path is best for some roadrunners, or something.

4 Likes

All you need is an atlas, a gun and a loot stick… and some hunters :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure you’re looking at your current location at the top of your screen - if it says East Of XXXX, run West, etc. Once you hit the region, look up! :slight_smile:

Always a message away if you need any advice on running hunts - also, they’re SO MUCH MORE FUN than platform hunts :stuck_out_tongue:

Others that will have helpful advice - @Bethlehem, @Turrican2006, any of the GTG hunt leaders, any of the old Squatch hunt leaders…

I know I’m missing a whole bunch of names - TAG EM ALL people!

5 Likes

Vikings guys do running hunts too, I think :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everything I said, @Nightstar said more eloquently hahaha

3 Likes

Yeah actual hunt leads :wink:

I haven’t hunted in a minute but on the topic of the poles again. Hunt platforms are usually built with a warping-in spot that is just outside the official center of the region. Then a part of the platform will be in the center.

This way the first person to arrive doesn’t immediately trigger a level 1 meteor spawn while other people are still trying to get in. That’s what would presumably happen if you teleported into the center directly.

If your running group is getting too spread out you can control this a little by asking them to gather with you just outside the region center until most of your group is at least in the region. Others may have more precise info on this but I think the spawn considers the players who are in the region, I don’t think it’s just the center.

Just editing this in, I think I linked to this recently but here’s james sharing some details with simoyd early on, simoyd was kind enough to share.

As regards getting everyone together:

When a player steps into the named region, the game looks to see how many players are near (I’d need to check the distance).
And then spawns a meteorite for that many players.
If it doesn’t spawn, it’s because the named region is on a cool down.

Here is as far as I know, the most detailed source on meteor mechanics, still accurate:

Still there’s a lot more to an enjoyable running hunt than just knowing how to trip the spawn, for sure. Once you take that in getting them to spawn is the easy part.

4 Likes

Amazing thank you so much. Massively helpful everyone.

Yeah my understanding is people use the poles as a guide for the regions. I didn’t know if they had to be placed specifically or not. So as long as they are in the center of a region it’s all good.

Sounds like I was obviously over thinking it :rofl:

I mentioned the poles because I have a trash sense of direction :rofl: but the more I do them the better I’d get at learning the planet.

I do both hunts. I try do as many as I can and support people best I can. Plus I do enjoy them. Platform hunting has it’s benefits and place. I understand why people do them and they can be fun but for me personally I love running hunts. It’s my preferred way of hunting but I’ll do any hunts I can I’m not picky :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m here if you need any advice. T3 running hunts are great and I know a lot of hunters have been missing them. They’re handy for helping new players learn to hunt, grapple and earn lots of coin and as you know, they produce lots of oort. I’d be happy to help you if you have any questions and I wish you all the best setting your hunts up!

5 Likes

Honestly appreciate the offer of help. Means a lot and I’ll likely take you up on the offers :grin:

I thought T3 because it helps me get use to hunts as well as help others. I was pretty surprised at how much oort you get from running them so it’s definitely a win. It would definitely be welcoming to beginner hunters.

5 Likes

That’s amazing information thanks so much.

2 Likes

This is what I always love to see <3

4 Likes

The community has been amazing. (Brace yourself cheesy post inbound :laughing:) I’ve played a lot of games over the years and I’ve never experienced how welcoming and helpful people have been. It honestly shocked and surprised me, in a good way of course. I’m usually the one that does it so to actually experience it, was out my comfort zone and absolutely refreshing. I’m not use to receiving help. The community is amazing. So naturally I want to do something to repay the community in anyway I can. Pay it forward so to speak.

3 Likes

@Bethlehem is a fantastic hunt leader. I made sure to show up to 90% of her hunts, which has left me with a substantial amount of oort.
As to the poles, what someone will do is take a relatively new character and have them carry beacons, fuel, and gleam. When they discover a new region, plop down a beacon, fuel it, plot up about 8-10 plots, and set up a gleam column. They do this with each region. That way there’s a marker where each region discovery is.
Now some of the richer players have done similar, but have set up portals to each region. @HOST is one of those known to do this.

5 Likes

This is why I keep coming back. A lot of the people I played with when I invested 10+ hours a day (pandemic) in the game, have become lifelong friends. It’s more than a game <3

Miss you @tarranth!!

3 Likes

Nice :grin:

Oh that’s what I was planning on doing, but thought it might not be that straightforward so it pleases me that I can do that. Awesome.

2 Likes

OHHH you’re right!! Someone did that in Ceph at one point. Massive things that you could run to, to make running hunts even easier :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m still here. I got a new computer (6 cores) and I have been spending a lot of time on the local server. Nice to use the expanded skill system, as well as the swords and shields.
But I still pop up in the main universe to keep my beacon fueled and my portal going.

3 Likes

I think this is why I have kept playing the game for so long. I’ve met so many people and friends with a few. It keeps me coming back. It’s been a while since a game has kept me playing for so long and the community is a big reason for doing it.

4 Likes

@tarranth thanks :fist_right: :fist_left:

indeed I have done it before.

@Hazel1558 you already got a lot of info from others right here so i do not really need to add anything related to regions.

well maybe you do need to know that there’s a 2 to 3 hour cooldown before another meteor falls.

also i recently got a flat T3 planet (THE FUTURE OF HUNTING) its as i mentioned a flat planet
designed for T3 hunts with pathways across water. if you like you can use it to your liking, set up the regions and ill make sure to fuel it!

its a 3KM tho…so max people would be 10

5 Likes

Thanks Host. I’ll head over and have a look. Think I’ve visited before (farms are awesome btw :grin:) but not fully explored it yet.

1 Like