Sandbox Creature Ideas

I really like the idea of giants that need to be climbed on. They have to have several spots(blocks) on their bodies that need to be destroyed/mined (maybe even with different tools / weapons to give the giant some kind of level?).

On your way to the spots the giant moves arms and legs (or other parts of their bodies), so you could fall down and it’s harder to climb. Maybe a hook should not work on them to make it more difficult. Furthermore when you step over the blocks of the giant and stand too long on it, they turn into lava to defend you (like these falling blocks of super mario games, that just fall when you stand too long on them). Also randomly appearing lava blocks could be a good idea, so you always have to watch your step before you jump / step somewhere.

Of course these giants must really be giant in opposite to the gamer and walk very slowly through wide, plane areas.

3 Likes

So…like a Titan?

No. I think he means walking beasts. Like the early concept art of titans. titans now are kinda like dungeons.

Right, it’s Not Like a Titan. A Titan gives me impression of a sky fortress. Also I think developers have different ideas then what I explained about their titans. Giants should differ from that and look from far like a living monster. Like “gruul” of world of warcraft. Just with more edges and ways so you can climb and step on

1 Like

To give you an example, here is a video. This is maybe a bit oversize but contains aspects which could be implemented. God of war - boss chronos

Enemies that you can only hurt from behind would be a fun challenge-
It would make it so you either have to team up with a friend or two,
or use tricks and traps to beat them.

I’d also still be very interested in seeing an enemy that blows up/ throws bombs. Would be cool because you would have to fight through craters.

An enemy that comes in the form of a totem pole would be very cool. It’d be like a stack of blocks with a treasure chest at the top, but each block is firing projectiles of some sort. You have to destroy the bottom block, and each time you do the thing drops down closer to the ground. since it could be sandbox, it could be varying heights with varying rewards. This would work for worm enemies too :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What if the creature would have interesting tactics, like pulling you into a river, which would require the player to make their own strategies?

Kinda of the same thing, but this was it seems a bit more creative than coming up with one way to defeat a creature. This way, we can think of problems the creature would create, and have the player overcome it in game.

2 Likes

Didn’t watched others ideas.

1. Agressive spiked creature that shoots poisoned spikes, this creature is slow but it has fast regeniration rate!
  2. Agressive invisible humanoid creature that has melee attacks, but it has low hp and damage. Sometimes it spawns in flocks.
  3. Agressive exploding creature that can jump on long distances with high speed (move speed is normal). Explode doesn’t destroy blocks, dropped items and items from killed players/creatures.
  4. Friendly loot chest mob, he has insane speed, can walk on walls and doesn’t get any fall damage. He always try do escape from players. Loot won’t be super rare, but there will be many uncommon ores and some items that can be obtained ONLY by killing this creature!
  5. Agressive spider creature that lives only in caves. It is really quiet, has low hp and medium attack.
  6. Agressive glowing lava golem that lives only in caves. It is really loud, has fast move speed and medium attack that knockbacks.
  7. Friendly healing mushroom. It travels on long distances and heals players. Killing it damages player for his current half health. Drop hat “Im an idiot”.
    Sorry for my english!
2 Likes

That’s by far the best^^

6 Likes

Though I would consider making it drop some quite interesting loot because killing it actually weakens the player in the long run so it becomes a matter of priority.

1 Like

no, never give goodies for dump actions … my parants taught me that through all my youth! ^^

1 Like

Jeweler’s Clam: This mollusk will open its mouth and wiggle a little lure to attract fish. Once one grabs on, it pulls as much of the fish into its shell as possible. Its bodily fluids will dissolve all body tissue leaving only a skeleton. But what makes this clam “oh so special” is that after time, a pearl will begin to form in the eye(s) of the skeleton. Depending on the size of the mollusk and the size of its prey, a player could be able to collect varying sizes of pearls to use as jewelry, an ingredient in crafting recipes, or weapon modifiers/decoration.

Cotton Dragon: This seahorse-like creature grows puffy hair-like fuzz around its body as protection. This fuzz has many thorns in it, just like the name suggests. A player may farm and collect this cotton to be de-thorned and used in a variety of crafting recipes.

4 Likes

But it is not a dumb action if a reward is given. Then it is a prioritation.

… but then it is not funn but boooooring! ^^

1 Like

I’d like to see some mammoth like creatures (that sort of size anyway) where you would need to work as a team to bring one down. They could be mostly docile, but be very dangerous if provoked. When killed it could then drop several meat/hide/fur/tusks/bone for you to distribute between your group.

4 Likes

And you might also be able to tame them for transportation. That would be great^^

4 Likes

Yeah that would be cool too. I think that could be expanded upon as well, so that younger animals can be trained more easily than older ones. You could potentially make a profession out of taming (or even breeding) animals to sell as mounts!

3 Likes

A lot of the more RPG oriented players on the forum are hoping for exactly that^^ And I have not doubt the devs will deliver something we’ll be happy with.

1 Like

What i am curious about is: will there be small bosses in dungeons? It would be great if there were some bosses with certain powerfull attacks and weakpoints, that need to be analyzed (like shooting them in the eyes, becouse the body is armored/ cut down the tail, so he can’t attack with it anymore/ grab his weapons with the grappling hook or hurt his legs, so he can’t go super-sonic)

2 Likes

Sand Worm. A worm that jumps out of the sand (or other soft soil). You can see dust where the worm is travelling, but it is sort of “inside” the blocks, and unable to be attacked. When it approaches you it jumps out quickly (like a fish jumping out of the water) and causes melee damage, and then dives back into the sand.

It’s well armored so damaging it directly would take a long time to kill it.When it jumps out to attack you, if it’s trajectory makes it land on a surface it couldn’t burrow into, it would flop around like a fish out of water until it found soft soil again.

Every time it hit stone, it could lose some armor, making it easier to defeat with normal methods. The most effective way would be luring it onto a stony surface in order to destroy its armor. A player could potentially build a trap, and lure the worm into a stone pit that it couldn’t dig out of.

There could be deadlier varieties of these worms that can burrow into increasingly stronger surface. Sand worm, Stone Worm… etc. Each would require increasingly stronger materials in order to defeat.

4 Likes