Screenshots in game in frames!

Would it be possible to make it so we can frame screenshots in game and hang on our walls???

8 Likes

I think we should be able to.

1 Like

Yeah, I suggested that a few times as well and would love it!

Even nicer if we can use signs as the frames and still add text too if we want…

1 Like

Seems like something that would bog down servers having to render all of them that people would no doubt use. Lag can already be an issue from time to time seems like something that would make it worse

Edit: I mean it would be neat to do and I would take advantage of it too. But I’d rather have more stable servers first

It wouldn’t render until you were close enough to actually see it, similar to shelf contents.

Rendering wouldn’t be the concern but bandwidth.

(Remember players complain that all online games work expect Boundless. If a player was to but many many pictures all together that all needs to be downloaded. Increasing bandwidth. I’m not opposed to the idea - it’s cool - just pointing out where the main issue would be.)

8 Likes

Something to leave on the drawing board? Along with in game writing of oort glyphs?

Maybe the picture could only display for the person who has it on their local disc, or if a visitor clicked on it, like the press “e” for additional text. They couldn’t click on more than one at a time.

Is there some way to store the photos outside of the Boundless servers…? Perhaps for Gleam Club members? It’s a long shot but wouldn’t tank server bandwidth.

Or cache locally. I mean they aren’t changing so they stay the same forever…

It should be possible to pull it from steam uploaded screenshots / steam workshop, and/or PSN equivalent assuming there is one.

With client-side scaling to the appropriate frame size and then saving to a separate, long-lasting local cache for those, it should only affect bandwidth the first time the picture is loaded, I believe, unless the owner changes it, and then the cached file would be set to refresh…

Or here’s another idea, couldn’t this use the existing method for rendering distant in-game locations in portals? Then we could use, say, a new kind of location token that also would save the precise direction / angle that the player is facing and render it in the same fashion as portals but without the portal distortion…

It could also be used to make security camera-like monitors and stuff like that, which would be pretty neat I think. This should do away with any ‘extra’ bandwidth requirements…

4 Likes

Ooo security monitors! Then we could play Boundless Five Nights at Freddy’s!

The server doesn’t render anything though. This could be on a separate cdn and not affect server performance.

edit: just read the rest… yeah what they said :smiley:

what about a ingame mecanism to draw art then its just a premade code the painting? just inventing this never seen code though hahahah

Definitely would be a cool feature.

To reduce the tech burdens, I’m imagining a flow like this:

1. Craft a new camera item which lets you take 1 photo in a special mode.
    • camera cost acts as gate to feature
    • photo mode enforces favorable aspect ratio for server storage
    • photo mode lets the client optimize graphics for screenshots (improve draw distance, restrict FOV, etc)
  2. Snap the photo you want and the camera will be replaced by it in your inventory.
    • client uploads screenshot to server in expected format
    • server generates thumbnail and stores thumbnail and full image
    • assigns uid to photo
  3. Photo item can be used in recipes to make decorations everyone’s asking for.
    • Items only have to remember photo uid
    • For standard item display in hands, shelves, etc only have to load thumbnail (few kb?)
    • For detailed view like holding the photo up or clicking to see more detail on a picture frame, can request full photo from CDN in that moment; never need to predict.

If you wanted to build a local cache of thumbnails or detailed views you can use the photo uid for it.

Seems like it would require a fair amount of tech investment. But I also think the community would get a lot of good benefit out of it. Guilds could have hallway photos of their founders and notable members. Museums could form. Players in general can document things in a way that will outlive the builds and the beacons themselves.

3 Likes

I can just imagine events happening. Art shows… Hunt group photos…recording the events the devs have made for us. Imagine having photos of the Xmas event. Before and after shots of buildings. Imagine being able to see the beginning of Ultima or aquarius (sry if I mispelled) all of the great things that are around, that may not always be there to see in the distant future. Oh the unveiling of the 2020 time capsule.

1 Like

I thought of that idea it would definitely limit the bandwidth needed to load pictures.