Servers Are Back Online

Update:

Servers are now back online, we’ll continue to monitor for further issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Original Message

Hi everyone,

As some of you will be aware, we updated the game to Release 199 but quickly had to take the servers down due to a game breaking issue.

There was an issue in the system which was retrospectively giving players extra XP for discovering regions, meaning some players were gaining large amounts of XP over a short period of time.

We want to get the servers back online as soon as possible. To do this, we’ll be removing the new region XP system and replacing it with the previous one temporarily; this means players will receive the old amounts of XP for the time being.

Once we have the issue fixed internally, we will put a new hot fix out which will have the new, increase XP gains for region discovery and apply the retrospective extra XP.

We are currently building a new server build to be tested at the studio, and providing the testing shows no issues with the system removal, we will put it to the live universe. There is no ETA at present.

There are some more things we need to work out with this, but in order for us to get the game back up, we feel this is the most sensible solution.

Thanks.

23 Likes

Thanks for the update, @Steggs101. You work at Wonderstruck now? It seems a lot changed in my absence! Belated congratulations on landing the job, buddy.

11 Likes

/agree. I guess he’s the community manager now.

1 Like

Thanks for the live updates! Been checking back all morning haha

Forgive me, but I’m slow. Does this mean the servers are back up now? I tried to log in on PSN and it still says updating servers.

Thanks for being clear with us instead of just saying - “we have an issue, 12hours eta lol”. :boundless:

2 Likes

No. Come back tomorrow. (Kidding!), no ETA on server restart, though, as far as I’ve been able to tell.

Nope not yet, we’re working on getting them back up as fast as possible.

4 Likes

Why do the servers need to be down to test something new…? Why can’t we just play with the previous version until it gets figured out? Is this a little patch or gona be an all day thing?

See this line:

And you look great while doing it.

2 Likes

Because the previous version got migrated to the new version, and restoring the old version takes far more time than fixing the new version. (I’m guessing here, but that’s generally been my experience)

1 Like

Because there is a very simple XP exploit that will damage the integrity of the universe and player’s progress.

12 Likes

Will the people ‘lucky’ enough to get that large amount of exp keep it, while no one else does. Or will it be removed from them?

Edit: I ask, because many games encourage their players to find exploits and not tell the devs or people. Because when it gets out it gets patched, but what they used the exploit for doesn’t get removed and they don’t get punished.

If the XP isn’t removed, it could be seen as you won’t remove other things. Such as items that got duplicated in a glitch. <-- People can exploit that and make mad money selling dupe items. Then it gets patched, but they keep their money and items duped.

Sure they can’t do it again, but they exploited the system and got rewarded. Something I don’t want to see in this game, hopefully.

1 Like

1 Like

This was asked in a previous thread. Someone posted this:

2 Likes

As those images state - not a definitive answer. We’ll have more info on that soon.

2 Likes

Sad, won’t be able to play before leaving for work aswell not getting that retroactive xp from worlds correctly, glad i was sleeping when patch went live :joy:

Server/game stability and balance above all. Keep it going guys, do some awesome barrel rolls while fixing stuff.

Server/game stability and balance above all.

Dev stability is important, too. Don’t break your backs, guys. We know these things take time.

Quality > speed

5 Likes