Shop Scanners on shops behind closed doors?

I presume this doesn’t apply to DK mall? There is two ways up on foot via staircase and via portal. But it is in the sky pretty high up

1 Like

If it has a staircase you can climb up by foot then it should be okay.

I came upon a large building in the middle of a desert (I forget which planet) that had and entrance and exit, but the inside was multiple different plots with a shop in each, winding back and forth like a snake. I think it was set up that way to collect footfall.

2 Likes

This is a good question. How about my shop?
One can reach it by many portals and you can grapple up (not super easy, but can be done).
@james is that ok? Or should i provide some kind of staircase?

First time I tried to get to your shop I was not able to climb and I had to run half the planet to get there :frowning:
Later I found the portals but having some stairs or grappling platforms would be nice

its supposed to be accessible by foot.

I found several stands on one place that were completely covered in signs so you could not access. I had to report them. Prices were purposely lower than any other planet for the items too.

@tarranth I’ve seen that building, and had to get something from deep inside. I was not pleased for the waste of my time winding through it, and then all the way back out since I didn’t see an exit near by. I can guarantee that one was made like that for the footfall.

1 Like

I think all shops should be accessible easily for the newbies trying to play the game…having shops that turn into mazes or shop that can only be accessed by a portal.is just plain annoying. Experienced players know exactly what your doing. So the question is Why? It’s really not that hard to think of others…so they should be fixed or reported. And shops up high that are hard to get too. Just put a portal at the base it lasts 5 weeks before refueling. …really isn’t that hard

1 Like

Yeah you kinda have to know where to grapple. Never thought of this!

Question is, does “by foot” include grappling? Because let’s face it, grappling is about as common as running. Hell, i reckon i traverse 10 times the distance while grappling than by walking.

While i agree, there is no newbie playing this game that would shop at my shop. If you’re shopping for forging ingredients, you’re 100% not a newbie anymore.

Are you gonna fuel it for me? :stuck_out_tongue: I’d be fuelling a portal for people who are never gonna buy anything at my place haha.

Regardless, i’m happy to build stairs or a grappling platform (my place isnt that far off the ground, any decent grapple can reach it, so i’d likely only need 1-2 platforms). Question is still, what is “by foot”? If it includes grappling, i’d prefer to build a few platforms over a few plots long stairs.

Does it say somewhere that it needs to be accessible “by foot” or just easily accessible (i.e. not behind a locked door). Like in the case of all the shops in DK Mall, I think they are all MUCH more easily accessible (portals from everyplace) than a shop on a metal (lava) planet that is at ground level which “technically” is accessible by foot, albeit not easily, and not for a new player.

I also have to say I REALLY like when shops put their portal locations (or name of major mall) in their beacon name. Even if accessible by foot, I would prefer a quick portal jump over a long run only to discover they had portals to hubs that I could have taken had I known.

I switched my shop beacons to be like that purely because I was so thrilled when I was shopping and saw some shops had it that way. Like:

MyShop (PS Hub Biit)
or
YourShop (DKMall)
or
TheirShop (TNT or PS Lamb)
or
HerShop (GyoshaMall)

etc…

1 Like

Love your idea the name of the beacon should denote the restriction. That way nobody would waste there time.

There are those that said allowing people to click on the shop name and warp there would harm the overall game experience (I’m not sure that people are interested in “experiencing” the game or builds while they are running 2500m across a planet to buy an item :woman_shrugging:).

…the consequence of this is that players must either know how to reach the shop via portals or spend a lot of time running across the planet. All that time might be for not if you can’t reach the shop.

I don’t think places that are up in the air, underwater, underground, etc are breaking the rules…but technically, they kinda are if they don’t have stairs/portals from the surface.

Think how frustrating it must be for a player, possibly a newer player to run 2000+m across a planet to your shop, only to get there and find out that there’s no way to reach it from where they stand - whether it’s underground, in the air or what have you.

If we had a way to fly or transportation to get across a planet quickly, none of this would be a big deal imo, but we don’t.

I think it’s up to the merchants to be considerate of shoppers & make sure their shops:

• Are well-lit
  • Accessible via the surface
  • Doors aren’t locked
  • There aren’t decor/obstacles in the walkway of the shop
  • Mark guild-locked shopping stands, display stands, etc. as “not discoverable”

You want shoppers to have a good :slightly_smiling_face: experience in your shop & come back so you’ll make more sales. You don’t want to frustrate them.

7 Likes

In my opinion no, by foot should mean, your feet are the main mode of transport, It is also something that everybody haves.

Not everybody haves a grapple, and to build a shop in such a way that it can only be reached by grapple or is very hard to reach on foot, is discrimination against new players and players who for some other reason, do not have a grapple with them at the time.

3 Likes

10/10. I would like this a 100 times and pin it if i could.

I think it’s important to remember that a lot (including my own) of shops were built BEFORE the shop scanner went live. Before the shop scanner, this wasn’t much of an issue at all, as i built my shop far away from anybody else so i 100% relied on my shop portals, word of mouth and the forums for advertisement.

With the introduction of the shop scanner (about which i only have positive things to say), people who don’t know about my shop, can now find it too. I had never thought about this until i read DK’s post about being in the air and i suddenly realised.

Again, i’m happy to abide by the rules, but i’d just like a dev to confirm the exact rules. If the rule is indeed that “by foot” does not include grappling, i’d probably rather just turn off discoverability on my shop stands, than to ruin my build with a staircase (as i really dont have the oort to power a portal that will be used by 1 person a month at best).

1 Like

I had the same issue. I wanted to sell salt because i have too much of it. I found a shop buying it at 0.5 (a very good price, too good to be true now that i had time to think about it). I’ve traveled a long way to it, only to find out that the stand buying salt is inside walls under the real shop (below ground level, so it’s hidden). And salt may not be the only bait item.
It is clearly designed to bring people to his shop and abuse footfall. Should i report it?

2 Likes

what about the shop Lauer’s Locked Door? It’s only acessable at a certain time in the week. Does it still count?

I think warping directly to beacons or shops would remove the need for portals, other than those linking planets.

I do like the idea though, so how about free warping to shop stands if you’re within 200m?

2 Likes

If he toggles the discoverability or removes the items from the stands then there are no worries…

1 Like

A portal from the base up to it on the same planet is still 24 oort shards a day. Your 5 weeks of activity would be 840 shards. Are you going to provide that?

I do it on my own shops already…if u want make your shops inaccessible to newbs that’s your choice. And kinda pointless. A shop in who evers best interest is to sell stuff or why open it.so isn’t it best to be reachable easily.

The whole “on foot” thing seems to be a recent social push.

If you can throw down some foliage blocks or grapple up to a shop it doesn’t seem malicious to me that lots of people build up in the air.

Same for underground tbh, lots of people build deep. It’s inconvenient and it costs you business but hey, if you’re powering a portal and advertising and whatnot and you want to discard random scanner business I guess that’s your option.

If you’re running a locked door shop or trying to do something that’s guild-access only it seems polite to shut off discoverability.

As to whether or not the devs are going to block you off the scanner it should be pretty obvious if you’ve wrapped a stand in signs or built in such a way that it’s intentionally zero access.

2 Likes