šŸ’µ Shop Stand/Basket Scanner for BoundlessTrade.net

Was wondering if itā€™s possible to make this into a phone app for us PS4 players, I use discord on my android & have other useful game apps. If you do consider it pls add me to your list of testers Iā€™d be happy to helpšŸ¤—

yes and if you not sell the the most cheapest possible price nobody will came. nobod., you will be alone,
and if you dont know about the tool or if you just a ps4 solo player you can even sell cheaper and wont get visitors.

i can understand that the roaming around thing is not fun, but the situation was alot better with bigger markets like newLeyden or gyosha mall. where you just roam an area insted of going through alot portals as it was before.

@ghandymarshall
well sure it wonā€™t go away anymore, I just wanted to point that out.

just because something is possible this does not mean that it must be done.
such things have consequences for all the players and maybe ppl should think about consequences before they create such things.
And as you said, itā€™s here, it will stay, ppl are forced to use it now. if they want it or not.
not sure if itā€™s cool that 1 person can dictate something to the whole player base with such a tool.

ppl will interact less with each other, shop owners that are not on selling with the cheapest possible price at all will never have a visitor and have the feeling of someone is Comming by to check.
making an underpopulated game a bit more a solo experience.

how can we thrust the prices and the website at all?

• what if someone sends other stuff to the website API with fake prices? or shops that not even exist?
    some Wireshark or memory injection or even disassemble the .net stuff is not a big deal.
  • what if someone that got access to the database is manipulating the data?
  • what if symoid got personal trouble with someone and decides to ban his shops?
    (i donā€™t think he would do that, what I want to say is that it can be dangerous to give control over the eco into the hand of one person).

well since all other opinions that are not like ā€œhey its cool!ā€ are flagged down anyway I think itā€™s useless to try to start a discussion about it.
i just made my point, enjoy the game.

4 Likes

Agreed, you donā€™t want to make coin off of mundane activites in the game and I donā€™t understand why anyone thinks endless fruitless shopping that generates footfall is good for the health of the game. Shopping is much more fun for me now that I roam off to distant corners for a good deal. The shops may be getting less footfall is places like the malls, but the beacons between portal hubs and distant shops are getting a lot more footfall from me now.

3 Likes

Iā€™m fairly new and Iā€™ve run into more people shopping via the trade network than I did in the mall. I think I run into more shop owners because the shops were recently scanned so their shop is active with good prices.

3 Likes

well lets see how this works out.

1 Like

This argument belongs to the in-game solutions threads of which there are many. They are considering having this in-game. Poll: World-economy-screen

But the in-game version would probably have all data available to it, live, so some of the arguments disappear with it. I think of this tool more like a trial to the in-game one.

edit: And the footfall argument is a bit weird, since itā€™s intended to give builders of infrastructure and other useful places a source of income. A shopkeeper already has a source of income: the products. Footfall is just extra they get as a side effect.

7 Likes

Iā€™d much rather see it in game because I get tired of typing in coordinates and creating custom locations. That could be automated if it were in game.

3 Likes

I absolutely get where youā€™re coming from.

What I used to think: I donā€™t know if Iā€™m OK with this. I like that the game economy is a bit more obfuscated and localized, you can get good deals by browsing a lot of shops, everything feels a bit more exploration based! An auction house or player-made shop lists could ruin that unique aspect of the game. Itā€™s a refreshing system compared to the hundreds of other games with centralized auction houses, etc.

What actually happened: Spent hours running around shops looking for things and to keep up with the economy. It was tedious and definitely not worth the reward, not to mention frequently giving footfall to ā€œshopsā€ that really didnā€™t deserve it. I think I did it for a few weeks, even updating my own spreadsheet and things and then almost completely stopped engaging in the economy, because it turns out actually playing the game is more fun than that. Centralized auction houses exist for a reason after all.

And now, Iā€™m actually enjoying shopping again, because it doesnā€™t take up a ton of time for little result. Iā€™ll take ā€œgoing somewhere for no reason every now and then because the data is slightly outdatedā€ over ā€œgoing somewhere for no reason most of the timeā€ any day.

Regarding footfall, Iā€™m actually not really concerned, I suspect it might even have a positive impact if anything.

Anecdotal evidence, but largely thanks to the site, Iā€™ve done more shopping this week than the entire month before that, visiting shops I otherwise never even would have known of. Shops that actually deserved footfall for having something of interest. Shops should be rewarded for being active, having fair prices and good quantities in my opinion. Not for merely existing.

And as someone who really likes to help, Iā€™ve also visited a lot of shops just to scan them and will continue doing so.

Itā€™s still early to tell, but so far, at least to me, the positives seem to outweigh the negatives for sure. And I definitely was skeptical at first. Security, maybe. But I have a feeling that most hackers would just do what Simoyd did themselves, rather than trying to reverse engineer the scanner, which as far as I know is obfuscated as well.

12 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth. To shopkeepers: think about your shoppers, the ones actually intending to spend coin.

3 Likes

You can use the website still on your phone right?

Probably referring to having the scanner as a phone app for PS4 players.

sadly sony doesnā€™t support/allow the modifications required to do this :frowning:

They would have to implement this feature in the game officially.

1 Like

Just wanted to post how much I really adore the shop scanner initiative. While there are times that I am totally cool with just stumbling upon things, there are other times that I am looking for something specific and it has been frustrating to find anyone selling it! This cuts down that browse time significantly and when I find a shop that is interesting or has good prices (or both) I am much more likely to come back and tell others about it. I think the benefits outweighs the potential negatives by a long shot.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a shout-out to all the people who have been using the scanner. The weeks before the scanner was released, I had been scanning the PS gateways which came out to about 17k shop stands give or take. On Saturday and Sunday, just before the scanner went public, a bunch of PS member went ham scanning all shops and cities and malls and everything we could find at any hub anyone knew about. That brought us up to about 36k shop stands on the web-site. Now that all that data is expired, with all the community members scanning, weā€™re still at over 37k shop stands today, with a peak on Monday of over 46k shop stands.

So I just want to say thank you everyone for helping out! We may not stay at such a high count, but it looks like adoption of the scanner is relatively high. I appreciate everyoneā€™s efforts in making this a huge success!

10 Likes

I dont know can you give me link? :hugs:
DSK Khaotik on pc has been doing it for us Iā€™ll try tho ty.

Probably referring to having the scanner as a phone app for PS4 players.

Yes was wondering if android phone app for ps4 users was possiblešŸ¤—

yea that would be a lot tricker to do would require sim to have the knowledge and tools to code in there apk plus paying google the 25$ to get a developer account

If there was a way to make it a little more stable, I would scan all the time. I have to stop due to portal lag and sometimes the world chunks wonā€™t load fast when itā€™s running.

Iā€™ve been shopping more now too.
Can I search by colors?

I was giving it some thought (and sorry, this is a little off topic) and was wondering if itā€™s possible to make a mod similar to this for attractions? Like, slides, mazes, trampolines, gorgeous works of art.
Things ppl work hard on for others to admire and enjoy, but are sometimes only found by individuals stumbling across it.
Bonus: itā€™s a registry that wouldnā€™t have to be updated. (Unless the beacon dies)

3 Likes