Should atlas hide beaconed resources? (Poll)

Actually I would say that changing chisels should not be allowed to work on non-plotted land. It seems like it is a hack to be able to find a diamond but then flip it to another gem that should not be there and might be harder to get, etc…

I personally prefer to see all the data. If anything is hidden it should be an option or toggle of some sort.

If someone (maybe a noob) accidentally plots on top of a resource, maybe I want to save that location & wait for their beacon to expire. If it’s hidden, I’ll never know it’s there.

As Xal mentioned, maybe there could be an added stat that shows “currently available (resource)” = more info, not less. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I mean I guess for shop purposes I’d see why you’d change it out in the open. But if using for personal use it easier to just type change the diamond block and you’re still changing and easier gem to get into a harder one. Plus people do buy refined gems anyway so it’s still not completely stopping the shop part.

The atlas shouldn’t hide anything, that is just less information to work with. If you could toggle between the two that would be the best option. One of my favorite places to mine is inside an area that is “plotted off” that I had to break in to. If those resources were hidden I would never have known that they were there.

Edit: I misunderstood. If it is ONLY beaconed resources and not reserved resources, then that would be a good change.

1 Like

Those would still show up with the proposed change since the resources aren’t plotted. The surrounding area is. Anything reserved would still show up.

1 Like

That’d probably fall under this :confused:

Edit: I understand now what some of the arguments against this are after. Data completion for one.

@majorvex too

If it’s not a choice to have both sets of data visible to us, is it a deal breaker?

We can’t see the full data now either since the currently regenerating (already destroyed) resources aren’t visible in the atlas or resources tab.

1 Like

You’re right, we aren’t currently shown all the data.

Nope. I accept & adapt to changes, even ones that I’m not a fan of. There’s only two ways I will stop playing Boundless at this point:
A. The game folds.
B. I croak.
:grin:

5 Likes

I want to apologize to all those who’ve tried to whack the desert swords I unknowingly plotted :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe not a deal breaker for the whole game, but for the atlas? :smiley: I do see how some use cases for it would suffer if this was implemented, but for me the gain would be bigger :thinking:

Maybe we need a “Gatherer’s Atlas” or a different kind of atlas (unless it would have to be applied to everything across the board). I personally wouldn’t want to hide the info, if I have a choice. Especially if the change is permanent & not a toggle for that user only.

I think it could effect how populated a planet becomes, or what type of builds are on a planet. If I think there aren’t many resources available (due to data being hidden), I’m going to a different planet that has more resources.

However, if I can see that the planet has a lot of resources (verified with a quick visit to check out the hotspots), I might build a lot on the planet and strategically/patiently wait until I can take over some of them.

1 Like

The information is still potentially useful to the one who owns the plots.

I can see the point in hiding plotted resources, but there is also a way to view plotted areas on a map as well. Another point I would make is that resources are everywhere, and changing the overall percentage for the planet would give a false reading on the density of the resource, since that’s really all a person can tell from the percentage. On top of all this, I can’t imagine there would be much accomplished by this anyways, since most resource hotspots aren’t beaconed, since the actual plots containing the resources need to stay unplotted for Regen.

Now, a 3D mapping of the plots that can be easily inspected and rotated would be nice. For now I think the problem is that altitude is a big unknown (at least for PS4 players, not sure what goodies you can get on PC). If we could view a better model of the plot structure with altitude, then it would be much easier to plan around the plots when digging underground.

TBH, removing resources from sight on a map would work nicely to tidy things up, but again, what about the plot owner? Could they be visible only to them?

Sorry if this comes off as agressive, just arguing for argument’s sake now, you specifically don’t need to counter this, it’s my own fun :smiley:

Having the two choices available to us would be ideal for sure. But if it means that the servers are slower or player cap goes down (because generating two versions needs more server resources) then I’d be fine with one or the other.

Are so many resources really beaconed that it’d affect the planet choice or city population? Remember we’re talking beaconed only, not reserved, not sure what you meant by the circled quote. I’d assume the daily variances caused by normal gathering affect the numbers more than beacons. Beaconed resources are often caused by a big project that’ll take over those resources in a while anyway so they’re effectively already destroyed but still visible in the numbers.

@Alienfish

Yes, it might be useful for the plot owner, that’s one downside. Having them visible to the owner doesn’t sound possible. But I’ve not personally ever needed to use an atlas to find resources I beaconed, I know they’re there already since I saw them while beaconing, and they’re not something that can be farmed so pretty useless to me.

You can’t say anyhing about density from the current numbers either, 30% on one planet can mean 1000 resources, 10% on another can mean 5000 on that planet. And again I get to how normal resource collecting probably affects the numbers more than beaconing.

1 Like

This was brought up with @James on my call… unfortunately we couldn’t get into the full details around this. I think it needs to be discussed more inside their team once they have time to talk about it.

Personally I still think showing both planet and player available resources is a good idea. It does not hurt anything and just gives more info.

1 Like

Showing both would be ideal, yes. I just understood that the server resource usage might be too much to include both. I’m really interested in how big the delta is between them :slight_smile:

Do you mean the literal server having to pull that data?

If so I can try to bring it up next time… I would assume it isn’t really any difference because they already to the count for all resources. This is just a filter to remove those that are player plotted for the resource tab.

The issue might come into play on the Atlas “showing it” and “updating it”…

It’s the one I quoted before too. But it might not apply to the resource tab, not sure.

Ahh… I missed that post… Thank you.

Yeah that would be true for the atlas because it is a map that show to us. I am assuming the resource tab is a count because of that screenshot where someone changed a iron source block to copper and it showed up all of a sudden… I’m not sure how they store that… I would assume just a list of items with amount beside it… @lucadeltodecso or @james any help on this?

I had a follow-up conversation about this and at this point changing chisels are working as intended.

I was not able to get into a conversation about adjusting the atlas design. I think the thread has show the challenges overall until we can really prove how the game is broken because of plotted resources.

1 Like

See Fed up with players plotting rare exotic eathyams on circa

If it’s not a difficult change like @lucadeltodecso says, it’s a no-brainer to me, it should be changed. Imo it just makes a lot less sense to also count/show plotted resource blocks for everyone, if only one or a few select players have access to them. Any reasons to keep it are based on very niche scenarios and not worth the confusion and frustration the current implementation causes, imo.

7 Likes

Perhaps I misunderstood what the poll is trying to gather.

For me, knowing that a area is beaconed, such as a hot spot that is plotted off and I can’t get into it to mine a gem for example (has happened a few times) that would be a help. I would know Not to go to that area.

If it showed it was beaconed and yet has the wanted items, and that I couldn’t get to them would be great, but I doubt feasible to do.

I find it frustrating and unfair, my opinion, don’t expect others to agree with me, that a player can beacon a hot spot so only they can mine there, keeping others from getting the gems, ores or whatever they want to horde for themselves. But, again, my opinion and don’t expect others to agree with me on it.

I just know that I don’t want to waste my time running to a areas to gather to find out when I get there I can’t get anything. I’d rather see it as not there and I can go elsewhere that I can gather.

Hope that makes sense on how I see it.