Show of hands, who "likes" the death penalty?

Fine I will agree with you that the game should support many styles of play. It was advertised and sold as a Sandbox MMO so those should be balanced and not rejected. I understand there is a segment of the player base that wants the challenge aspects associated with avoiding death. But I do not think this should drive the severity of the penalty. That is making those that do not want it to have a more severe penalty than I think is justified. In particular with the xp tweaking done by the developers. Since the launch of 1.0 the death penalty has remained the same while the ability to generate xp by a number of activities has been slashed. It was bad before it is worse now to work yourself out of it.

What about tackling it from a different angle?

For players that are looking for the low stress sandbox/creative aspects: why are they dying (and so frequently)? Can we make accidental death less common? Maybe introduce some sort of way to opt into more challenging combat (for more rewards)? Etc

2 Likes

Here’s how I look at it. It’s better then having to rush back to your corpse and loot it before someone else does or else lose all your stuff, tools, mats, etc.

2 Likes

this brings up another question, perhaps they need to add creative servers that have no death or no death penalties

2 Likes

do i like it? eh im neutral on it tbh (annoying thing is dying to lag/4 block high drop etc),its better then the dura hit we used to take…,but for ppl who just want to build citys/towns it must take them awhile to get out of xp penalty.

what about if they buffed the reduced xp penalty trait to something like 75%? would ppl find that too much?

I understand what you are saying but it is not even the plots (although that is bad). I need to level to be able to even produce the things I need to put on the plots. I do not want to have to buy stuff to use it. . why is that rewarding? I need skills, skills come through levels and I need alts due to the way the skill trees are constructed so I have to level more than one alt. I am bored grind mining 10’ s of thousands of blocks in order to level. Was not exciting the first time and certainly not the second or the third. All this penalty does is cost me time. Sometimes I think I would prefer a set time where I could not get full xp. At least then I could log off and go play something fun in the interim.

That already exists nevir, it’s called T1 Peaceful planets.

1 Like

They will have this eventually with private servers. You can make your own rules so no death and gems as common as copper, but no interaction with the public universe.

This could be good solution but for one problem. It will fracture community, splitting it between two sets of worlds. In see no way we could have both type mixing together. Maybe it would be okey with number of players boundless has now, but I doubt it. Boundless needs both hunters and builders and I think creative would be screwed towards builders, while death worlds whould go for opposite.

4 Likes

Mmhmm. But if that were the solution, I suspect this thread wouldn’t exist. Seems like we need something more for creative-type players

1 Like

While I don’t specifically disagree with some form or penalty to death (I’d personally prefer without, but respect that others are really keen on the concept), no death penalty this game has ever iterated through has actually made the game more ‘challenging’. Through item durability loss, xp loss and now stunted xp growth, the only real end result has been that people are required to spend more time doing the same things at the same difficulty. That’s not extra challenge, it’s grind.

Though I’ll be honest, I can’t say that I can think of a death penalty which actually makes the game more challenging. Even if I could, it would only be popular with the hardcore few I imagine.

3 Likes

i agree it doesnt make it more challenging,just makes you think twice before going well prepared while punishing the creative players,which is a bad thing imho as you ideally want to cater to both sides,problem then becomes how to you keep both sides happy without having a system that is easily exploitable…:thinking:

1 Like

If that’s the case though, maybe the questions in this thread are the wrong ones.

The drawback of the xp death penalty is that it slows you down while you you wanted to level, and it is viewed as something that affects some playstyles more than other.

If it genuinely does affect some playstyles more than others (and I believe it does), wouldn’t it be the most logical conclusion to reach that the wider issue is the ability to recover from such a penalty is not even close to being balanced across playstyles, especially across the spectrum from newbie to fully fledged level 50. I’m not saying it would be easy to balance, but I think if I were the developers, that’s where I’d want to concentrate my data collection and balancing efforts.

3 Likes

Interesting! I think that’s more likely to affect creative-types more, though—and be a bit regressive in that sense

1 Like

I don’t care for it at all. It wouldn’t be so bad if you didn’t get one shot from certain things. It makes playing anything but my fighter a pain since I just don’t have the skill points left over to try and do any protection. Also the explosions in the game from mobs do way too much damage. You get hit by one you are dead, not even a chance to try and run from them. Same can be said about cuttletrunks that won’t give up chase. My fighter character it isn’t so bad but try to do anything outside with one of the others is sheer frustration.

2 Likes

I don’t like the defeat penalty, but I think it’s in the right place where it currently is.

It’s point is to make you think twice before you go for a tough fight or mine next to a lava pool etc and I think where it currently is really does this, also with the defeat penalty epic it’s a breeze to work off the penalty.

Also other thing I think people have left unnoticed here is the recent buff for the healers and especially reviving, which negates the defeat penalty.

If a person want’s to solo and just throw their brain in a corner while playing boudless that is their right to choose so, but claiming that they shouldn’t get punished for doing bad in the game because of that is rather ridiculous. I think when there is a challenge to be conquered you should be rewarded for achiving it or get punished for failing miserably(being defeated here), it is part of the thrill for actually achieving something otherwise it’s just a grind and there isn’t really any gratification to it as it would get done anyways, unless you get your kicks just putting out the hours into something that is obviously achievably no matter what.

This post isn’t taking into account the current bugs regarding random fall damge or bad connection, which the defeat penalty shouldn’t even be balanced around, as I have faith that the devs can work these out.

5 Likes

I hate it. It’s far too long. Somehow I died twice in one encounter on G. Te Sunday night(might be a glitch).
I spent all of yesterday with the penalty. That’s insane. At least keep the timer rolling when we are offline.

I like it. Having no death penality in an mmo seems ridiculous in my opinion.

1 Like

I said “I don’t like the death penalty so I avoid dying” meaning I’m in favour of it because it’s doing its job. It answers the question asked.

The question was not “are you in favour of nerfing the death penalty”. I figure if that’s the question being asked, then it should be asked. Mean time, I answer the question that actually was asked.

1 Like

Only issue I have with the death penalty is the fact it lies to you a bit.

It’ll say “you lose 50% exp for N exp” but because it calculates it based on exp actually gained rather than earned, you end up having to earn 2N exp to clear it.

I would rather it was clearer about that.

1 Like