Show of hands, who "likes" the death penalty?

For me the idea of penalty death is right, maybe needs some adjustment, but I totally disagree to remove.

2 Likes

There was a point at which I was extremely frustrated with the death penalty and that was between lvls 25-35, at that stage I felt like I had hit a skill wall where I needed/wanted to start crafting higher tier gear and going to higher tier worlds but could not spare enough points for A. crafting abilities and B. survival abilities so when I did get a death penalty it drove me absolutely insane because what felt like a massive uphill battle to get the skill points I needed just got soo much worse, but after getting beyond that awkward mid level stage and earning most of the skills I needed it doesn’t sting as much. I still actively try and avoid it but its not so rage inducing when I do mess up because I can still continue to play and resource at a comfortable pace albeit with less xp for a while.

For me the real issue is level progression during mid point of the game, I still way prefer the current system to the old.

1 Like

False assumption in my case.

1 Like

I fully agree. On my main (lvl 47) I don’t really care about death penalty. I even had unspent 7 skill points for a quite a long time, because I really didn’t need them, and was torn, should I invest in slingbow, or maybe some damage reduction, or… anyway, on impulse I put those in Agility to hunt specific gleam I needed at that time more easily.

Anyway… as I wrote, on my main I really don’t care if I die, I have enough skill points, and cubits for plots I need at the moment. But on my hunter I level… he’s 23, and boy I miss like 30 skill points to be happy. And on this Oort I really do care about dying. In lower levels it was just few minutes of roaming to get the death debuff off. But now it takes a considerable bit… that is until you hit lvl 1 meteor on T4 planet, because then those XP numbers are just flying :wink:

2 Likes

Once I got past the mid level/iron tool grind, I stopped noticing the death penalty. With forged gear or decent building materials, the xp burns through the penalty very quickly. The xp slump is less of your level, and more of the stage of equipment you are at. I earn levels faster at 50 than I did in my 30s.

1 Like

This is like asking “Who loves paying taxes?!”

6 Likes

I was 30 seconds into the game after the release wipe and died because I was on the harsh world. If I had to pick death that was the best time because XP comes fast in the beginning.

Over, though, yes people need to understand that this game has specifics around death and they shouldn’t charge full force into the wilds with no fear.

I think the point of the death penalty is to not like it. That being said, I don’t find it overly burdensome, as it’s not like it stacks, and can be easily bought off by just not dying.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. Currently I am totally against it due to the games current issues with serious rubberbanding/lag. This is an issue that the devs have even admitted is a problem. Until there is a fix to this issue the death penalty should be removed from the game. It’s extremely unfair to penalize a player for dying as a result to the lag. Over the weekend I died several times while fighting creatures due to the rubberbanding/lag. Under normal circumstances I am easily able to defend myself and kill the creatures. I try to make sensible choices as to what I can and cannot handle since my toon is still fairly low level (created Friday). It was disheartening to know I lost XP as a result of the death penalty due to something entirely out of my hands.

In the future when the servers are more stable (if that ever happens) I’m for death penalty when unwise choices are made. Such as fighting mobs you are truly not capable of fighting at a certain level. Until then I say NO for death penalty.

1 Like

Compared to the death penalty of damage to things in your inventory, I love the xp penalty. Nothing is worse than spending time effort and resources to make tools etc to sell and having them damaged while in transit.

1 Like

What the defeat penalty does I’m fine with, my problem with it is that it scales from “pff, whatever” to “oh, no” to “holy [insert favourite curse word]” depending on level. Since it scales depending on max exp needed it can be a bit damning after level 20-ish.

Exp curve and/or how defeat penalty amount is calculated could use some tweaking.

1 Like

Cant say im a fan of the Death penalty sadly its got me quite a few too many times

That i agree. Some kind of cap on how much exp death penalty is would be welcome.

1 Like

I like it.
It’s a punishment system for dying without causing too much frustation to the player.
Imagine losing all your items after death.
Or resseting your XP bar to 0.
THAT would really hurts.

1 Like

I’m getting horrible flashbacks to when I played Lineage 2… Grinding 2 hours just to get 5% of a level, then die and lose 10% exp and losing a level as a consequence. Man, that game was vile.

2 Likes

At this point in my life i’m sure some games are just social experiments.
Exploiting human weaknesses for profit it’s not new.
Interesting read http://archive.is/HqxZy

Rotfl. Okey, because you are active in other threads, i assume you are not trolling.
Every game created by commercial developers is done so they can profit. Thinking anything else is bullshit. They literally do it so they can have more money to do what they want and there is only the possibility that they want to make more games. And they do as good work of it as they can to get that money. Only difference is whenever they think that it is better to do it as ethical as they can manage or go for money grab.
Looking at recent money grabs i seen, boundless right now sit straight in ethical part of equation.

Edit: we had experienced troll like behaviour while discussing stuff connected to micro transactions here and I’m becoming a bit paranoid about it :wink:

Why I should be a troll?
Yes, money. It’s all that matters.
That’s what we are taught on schools.
I could discuss this topic for hours but i don’t want to offtopic.

So in summary:

1. Most players want a death penalty.
  2. The mid 20s-30s is when the penalty becomes painful.
  3. The 50+ death penalty is a bit much and could use at least a little scaling/adjusting in favor of the players.
  4. Bug/Glitch/Lag deaths shouldn’t cause a death penalty.

I’d be happy if they’d at least dial the penalty back a bit on the higher levels. Or improve the skill that reduces the penalty… or add additonal tiers to said skill for increased reduction. I’d put points in not because I die but because that’s just how I roll.

What level are you?