Show your support for an Xbox version of boundless

In fairness, that would be my concern as well - as much as I want it, I know there must be other things much higher on the priority list.

Trade-off might be though, it could bring in some extra funding so that more can be done in the future if it takes off on the One. That is a tough call to make however, but the gamble could pay off.

It’s probably not even up to wonderstruck. Itd be more up to Sony and Square. I imagine Wonderstruck could ask to do it but could be shot down or told it has to wait till 20xx.

2 Likes

You do huh? Care to elaborate what specifically you love about the Xbox version?

2 Likes

I could make a new thread, but I we already got a great thread to cover it.

Now that the Xbox Series S|X are officially out and people are talking about getting a PS5 update for Boundless, I would love to also see this game come to Xbox as well. I know the Xbox One/PS4 had some serious CPU issues and it really held this game back on PS4, but the Series S|X (and PS5!) are all vastly improved and I would love to see the game on more platforms.

I think two obviously largest issues are:

• We do not know if Wonderstruck made any type of exclusivity deal with Square when they helped fund the game and start publishing it
  • Cross platform might be a pain to get to work between all 3 platforms. It should not be too bad since Sony is the pain to work with when it comes to cross platform. Right now Microsoft is all about that cross platform.
5 Likes

You know the one X out preforms the series s in some areas :sweat_smile: and I thought there was an exclusivity deal but we don’t know the exact details of it since that’s between square and wonderstruck

That is probably just dumb luck, or some of the super weird optimization I have seen devs make for slower hardware (like duplicating files in game install to improve read seek times). Even the Series S literally has better hardware than the One X in every single category.

The PS exclusivity deal is between Sony and Wonderstruck. Square only published the game on PC.

1 Like

Yup my bad I knew that too. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well the CPU is better than the One X in the S but ram and gpu is better in the One X. Also the series S can’t do 4k for people that want that :sweat_smile:. And the series S will hold back games for the Series X as well since it is underpowered compared to the x. Developers have to make sure the games play great on both sadly. Microsoft really shot themselves on the foot on that. And there’s already been statements from devs about needing it to match the S. Honestly they should have just gone the same route as Sony and just made the only difference the disk drive.

1 Like

Raw numbers are not everything.

The One X has a GPU based on the 580 (Polaris), the Series S has a GPU based on the new RDNA GPUS (I think the Series S is based on a 5700x?). On paper, the One X has 50% more TFLOPS, but the new GPU is still newer can do things like raytracing, etc. Also, with the RAM, again, on paper, the One X has 20% more RAM, but the Series S RAM is much much faster.

The One X, on paper, has better RAM and GPU, but combine with an NVMe SSD and a CPU that is not going to bottleneck the GPU, it is going to be a way better console.

Also, 95% of people that will get a Series S|X will not actually have a television of capable of doing 4K @ 60Hz or 120Hz (4k @ 60Hz is not even possible on any television < $2k right now because most of them do not have the new HDMI spec required to do it). The Series S (as well as the One X) can still both push 4K @ 30Hz. The reason the Series S is advertised as not doing 4k is because they are trying to force devs to target higher framerates because that has always been one of the major advantages PC gamers have had. So the 1440p @ 60Hz is preferred to 4k @ 30Hz.

I still think the idea Sony did with the PS5 and making it cost so much just for a disc drive was stupid. Microsoft splitting theirs out into actual pricing tiers is a much better idea. Not everyone can afford a $500 console, but $300 is much more inline with other consoles and great for parents to buy for their kids.

LG has some under $1k and so does Vizio btw. And I thought Microsoft said it’ll upscale to 4k but doesn’t give a true 4k but I could be wrong.

Course after buying more storage(proper one that matches the console) for the series s you’re back at the $500 mark.

Ehh, I am thinking quote the opposite. The idea is nice on paper but it should have had more ram at least. The idea that a next gen console is not capable enough to run last gen One X optimised games seems silly to me.

A 400 discless version is the same price as last gen consoles released at, well after MS dropped the kinect that is, but it’s an actual next gen console and only 100 more than the Series S.

If that 100 is a problem for parents I would advice them to get a One X instead, no raytracing but otherwise performing better or at least equal to the Series S but capable of 4k which will be the standard TV size soon. Plus MS said they would not release next gen only games for the first few years.

I don’t think the Series S will be available for long.

But who knows, we are enthusiasts and not just parents…

Also, the reason we have Boundless at all is due to Sony. No idea how long the exclusive thing is supposed to be for but that might hamper such a release.

And in all honesty I rather have the team spend time on other things instead of ports, no matter what we would think it would cost, time wise, it will be time spend away from new content.

Oh and if they ever do, ditch X1 and Series S support. Well Series S maybe if they think it’s easy, otherwise stick to XSX only.

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t buy consoles, this whole sentence is garbage (not you, Microsoft). I thought the New Nintendo 3DS XL was bad.

It is very normal for console games to optimize to specific hardware. It’s one of the advantages of consoles, really, that devs can say “This exact optimization and profile hits the benchmarks we want for a consistent experience”. So when you switch to new hardware, even if the new hardware is more powerful in reality, when those optimizations break, that’s the fault of the game dev, not the hardware dev.
This kind of thing is likely why the backwards compatibility is a “most games” and not “all games”.

Ahh but the Series S simply does not have enough RAM to run a One X game in backwards compatibility mode. The Series X can do it, not because of the extra power, nope the amount of RAM.

That is the part I find weird as a design choice, and that is on the hardware :wink:

Real talk. Boundless on the switch would be amazing. Imagine just hunting/farming on the pc while you run around crafting/ect on your switch. I LIKE THATimage

BUT only after new updates to the game… Sorry had to toss that in there.

Just wanted to point out, both next gen consoles are more powerful then the existing ps4, so the case of which is better is pointless. both are better.

one is “eleventity smorebogtity” better than the ps4 the other one is “eleventigy totstivity” better than the ps4.

The numbers and all that bs literally dont mater yall need to stop digressing from the point of “the reason boundless isnt on xbox is because sony end of story”

1 Like

The only specs issue I have with the next gen consoles are those of the Series S, the XSX and PS5 both are fantastic!

You forget that RAM on consoles is shared between VRAM and system RAM. 10 GB is more then enough for most games including One X games. Microsoft is a tech company, they do their homework and have likely thoroughly tested One X games on the Series S. Which is still capable of 4k @ 30 Hz. Just like the One X. The bottleneck for the One X has and always will be the horrible Jaguar AMD CPUs that the whole Xbox One generation launched with.

Exactly, the console is not for you. Just like I think console streaming is a stupid idea, the feature is not for me. Many parents/people cannot “just spend another $200” on a console. Or even get the 1TB expansion drive. $300 is a lot of money to some people (especially parents with multiple children, I have friends who make just as much money as me, but have children and simply cannot afford an extra $200).

The whole point of the Series S, game streaming, etc. are all to make gaming more accessible to everyone. Not to please the enthusiasts.

Yeah the idea on paper sounds really awesome but if you know that even on the PS4 Pro the framerate is far from ideal due to the hardware not being able to cope, imagine the slide show it would be on the Switch. Ohh, and a portal opening would mean it’s grab a snack time!

Hopefully Nintendo will release a beefed up Switch next year!

You could, BTW, achieve what you want with PlayStation’s RemotePlay OR with SteamLink on your phone or tablet! Pair a Bluetooth controller with the mobile device and perhaps even use one of those click on things so your controller is attached to your mobile phone!.

AMD has a similar tool which I kinda like more since it works for the whole pc not just games

But check out the SteamLink app on Android!

… and decided that it’s not supported, PERIOD