Sickle tool

I know it’s a bit early for farming suggestions, but are we supposed to use aoe axes and hammers for crop harvesting? If there’s time I think it’d be beneficial if there was a tool that only cuts crops and grass. I’d hate to mess up a field that took a long time to design.

5 Likes

I was going to see if I could forge a basic totem with aoe to see if that would do the least damage to the soil but still harvest the crops.

But the durability on those… Yuck :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Definitely not ideal and I agree it would be good to have a specific tool for this job.

I think a sickle would be a great addition

In testing I forged a Wood Shovel with AOE 4. Same tool I used to collect grass seeds in live. works really good.

1 Like

So far, there doesn’t seem to be a specific tool for harvesting.

There are these:
Tilling = new tiller
Collecting liquids = new boon

1 Like

I wish they would remove the ‘liquid breaker’ / ‘liquid solidifier’ boon and just find a way to use an iron bucket or something.
It’s becoming a real problem to dump every new mechanic into the forge.
It feels wrong and takes waaay more time and components for us (since you gotta have all the forge reagents too).

Here’s a dumb idea that could be heavily refined:
Imagine a bucket. You hold it, you can see its durability life bar on the side of its icon, like with everything else, right?
What if it had a second bar on the other side of the icon, but empty. It’d represent the capacity of the bucket to hold liquid.
So like, you go into water, you hold the button to use the bucket, and you can see that it fills up the capacity bar, while sloooowly emptying the durability bar.
So yeah, it’d be stupid because it can hold waaaaaay too much water to be real, but it’d be still better than harvesting water with a stick and putting said water in your inventory like it’s a block.
How much should such a bucket contain? You tell me. 100 water? 900 water? < shrug > Well I don’t know why you’re looking at me I’m bad at math!

2 Likes

I don’t seem to be damaging blocks when harvesting - used wayfarer totem on home world, where I break blocks with 1 hit.
Do you mean you are not hitting the blocks on top when harvesting, but instead break the blocks to make crops drop?

You mean like all the stacks of items we can hold in our imaginary backpack? Lol. I agree i’m tired of forging everything. I’d prefer a reskin of the current tools we have and just introduce a new recipe for it. Like ice tools or something. Just replace iron/copper with ice to make the tool

And I havent tested farming yet but i can imagine a sickle tool being very useful

I agree, using forged tools as only option for everything is not good. Having possibility forge those is still good so that players like me could save inventory slots :slight_smile:

Wooden and stone tools are awesome, you can make those from so many colors. Please all use more wooden and stone tools for farming :smiley:

2 Likes

I was using either a hammer, axe or totem to harvest because if I used a shovel it would dig up the soil and even with the hammer or axe it would occasionally break the block which meant it had to be replaced and tilled again so I was just trying to think of something that would do the least amount of damage but still harvest the crop … thinking about it now I should probably also look at the skill points used, maybe I had too many in damage as well.

but i had enough damage to break blocks with one hit, but never broke one when harvesting

I think I get it now, you were trying to aim at crop hit-box? you could miss it sometime and break the block.
But if you aim at top of block like when gathering grass, you would always break the crop and avoid hitting the soil block.

Or if you don’t aim at the center block with an aoe tool you can hit the already harvested spaces and break them.

1 Like

Sure, if you never miss what you’re aiming at you’ll be fine.

Basically means I and many other players will never be fine.

I’m all for a sickle (or a scythe) tool. Later, when they introduce rideables, maybe a mower-conditioner attachment for your tractor/harnessed wildstock or a combine harvester.

So a wooden/ stone axe with aoe4, speed, and durability? Would that be sufficient to break the crop but not the block?

On a T6 like where I live it would be impossible to break a block using a wooden tool as the one you described. :smiley:

I’ll probably be making some tools like that, just out of copper so I only need to aim for AoE and Dura, maybe some magnet, as I think the damage will still be too low for a T6 to be of any significant danger.

Good point on that. Are crops one hit regardless of tier, or do they take extra hits?

I’m thinking of making a lot of lower tier forged tools specifically for farming then.

Currently, because they behave like grass does, I believe they are one hit regardless of tier.

Thank you sir!

I still like the idea of a sickle. Maybe it can be forged to only get seeds or something.

In the meantime, I’ve already got some silver shovels forged in my personal shop… but I might get some more low level tools if people want them too. Now to think about pricing though…