Simplified survival <> creative portal plan

Trying to keep portals between creative and survival simplified here, I have two basic proposals.

1) standardized size, single point of return.

this is the simplest, but has a major restriction. In this plan, all portals to creative worlds must be of a standardized size and shape. This standardization eliminates edge case issues with variable portal sizes and makes it possible to have any portal leaving the creative worlds to return the player to the exact same portal they entered from.

If you entered a creative world from a portal seekers hub on Biitula, travel to a creative world orbiting Berlyn, and take a portal to exit the creative worlds, any portal you take exiting the creative worlds will return you to the same portal you entered on Biitula.

This also means all exit portals will be able to render your ingress point from Biitula. No matter where you go in creative, your exit is always the same.

This is my favored solution.

2) variable portal size, multiple exits.

This strategy gives a lot more player agency. It uses the same concepts of standardized portals in that if you exit a creative portal to survival through a portal of exact same dimensions as the portal you entered, you always return to the same portal you originally entered. If you exit a different sized portal, you instead enter the sanctum. From sanctum, you can either warp home, or pay the warp cost to exit on the planet your portal would have exited.

I like this because the community has the opportunity to agree upon a standardized or proprietary portal size to return to the travelers start point, or possibly span the universe by paying coin. This opens up shortcuts that the traveler pays for out of pocket instead of traveling through multiple hubs or portal networks. You could travel to opposite ends of the universe in a single hub, but you will pay to do it.

8 Likes

Why does size matter at all?

Good question. Why do larger portals get longer “jumps” over smaller portals in today’s survival universe? Why does size matter there too?

It’s just that they have to match. The system we have doesn’t open a 2x2 stack of conduits to a 3x2 stack.

This is a whole different question of game balance, not mechanics.

More conduits can consume more fuel and thus provide more power. This allows you to open a portal over longer distances.

Arguing over “necessities” in a virtual universe aside, it’s a clean logic.

1 Like

I’m not sure how this solves the “free fuel” issue or any others the Devs outlined. Also anything having to track portals seems much more complicated on a technical level.

There were 3 or 4 comments in a row about this in the main update thread around here: Testing 246: Creative Worlds! - #391 by Mayumichi

Any portal that returns you to where you entered, or to a single ‘generic’ location solves the ‘free fuel issue’ which isn’t anything to do with people not wanting creative planets to have portal access.

It’s to do with not wanting them used to bypass the travel requirements of the survival universe.

The rest of the issues related to this, as I understand it, are implementation barriers related to implementing a new system for this, or making modificaitons to the existing system.

Honestly, so far my favorite ‘wild idea’ is that creative portals be a different, fixed size unit, as proposed by @majorvex in this post.

@DKPuncherello also made a solid suggestion about a dream realm but that would require implementing a lot more (I think) into the game vs. simply using the sanctum as an entry point.

In every case, there’s a minimum requirement to come up with new stuff - ranging from simply a new way to browse planets in the sanctum to entirely new features or components in game.

Of course I can’t say for sure but it seems like tracking what portal you came in through is going to be a lot less development overhead than many proposed solutions. But Luca has indicated that one of the major obstacles to that is the use of various sized portals.

So that’s why you see proposed solutions revolving more around standardized or fixed portal sizes right now.

1 Like

Both of these options fail the developer requirement that “Portals work as expect and [are] not confusing for players.”

Having different players enter the same portal and end up somewhere different sounds confusing. Even more so when those portals that look exactly the same as other portals. If you added a requirement for portals between creative and survival to be visually distinct, then you might be moving in the right direction.

1 Like

Going back to sanctum sounds good solution but if system allows those portals could be also shown as conduits to players, everyone should be able to use return sanctum anyways.

Good to that there is talk about warp costs. I haven’t seen much talk about that, it would be need to be counted from entering survival planet or parallel networks could become new way as those wouldn’t need any oorts and warping from orbiting creative wouldn’t cost much.

My favorite suggestion for portals has been this time debuff which would allow use other portals if said long enough in creativel.

1 Like

Time debuff could work

I still think warps to creative should be free, regardless of what is done with portals

And everyone should get a list of all creative capitals to warp to at any time from the places menu, either using warps or sanctum

Yes it would be good, right now it costing even between creative planets to warp what can be confusing first as players might not take care of coins. Warping costs from creative to survival should be count as warp entering point would be on planet where player did leave survival.

1 Like

As much as I do not really like this solution it is so much better than what is being proposed implemented.

The game already stores where you are when you exit so it can set up a portal from sanctum to that location. Would it really be that much harder to also record where you where when you left the survival universe? They are already changing your skills and inventory so the event has in game mechanics associated with it.

As fair as it not being confusing for new players . are they not already going to have to explain why you cannot create a portal to another creative planet? If they are not that far apart and you have the skills then I can see players making the attempt only to have the system stop them when they try to open it or to create a token. And want to talk about confusing. . lets look at the forge. If the forge is not considered to be too confusing then I am not sure why this is any different.

2 Likes

Thanks for the overview.

I guess if we allowing “creative characters” to run all over the place between “creative planets” for free but when they flip back to survival their “survival character” is at the exact portal entrance they were at when the flip happened then I might personally be able to get on board with it.

Right now my big issue with this solution is it is a different method of how portals work and doesn’t feel that it matches things in survival. It also still allows for Creative hubs to create this huge network that might feel over balanced versus survival. It makes me a bit worried that creative might get more and more players and survival just dies out. But, I’m not sure that matters and I know lots of people like survival over creative.

I do still like my 1 portal (1x2) for the planet owner that allows a connection to the orbit world. The issue with that is creative-creative can’t be allowed. If it was then it would open the opportunity to jump throughout the survival universe for free and large hubs might suffer which I don’t think is fair. And we know the second people have unlimited fuel they will create some sort of cross the Universe solution.

I guess the real issue is the “free fuel” that is the biggest issue. At the end of the day, while I am basically on board now with the “put you back where you entered” solution it might have to be that if people want the Creative - Survival Universes to interact then players themselves are going to have to “fund the Oort”. Since people get footfall in survival for this it seems like a good in game business opportunity even though not ideal. This makes “creative linking” an option and not a requirement. We could, though, find a way to use the only 1 1x2 portal per account/planet is free fueled merged with this “warp back to enter” as the grouped solution.

Building the tech is always the block for almost everything. Maybe @lucadeltodecso or @James can be generous to the community and share a bit on the technology side the complications or concerns they have with the solution being talked about (OP and our discussion). I’m not sure how easy it is to track players “portal/planet location” from the survival/creative transition. I’m assuming just another DB entry or something outside of the “portal size question” which I’d want more details on. I don’t have enough details on “creative vs survival” tech implementation since it is a whole new area.

3 Likes

I don’t care what people say, I will support the dream realm/bed idea until the end of time because I love it so much.

1 Like

Ultimately, the only ones with a concrete idea about how hard it would be to implement an idea, or how long or if it is even worth the dev time is the devs themselves. As a suggestion, I don’t take into account the amount of work required, I just propose a design path they may not have already considered.

2 Likes

I seriously feel like the best solution is just a combination of all the suggestions that have come up. Use @majorvex idea of a special portal that you can use between creative and survival. Make portals between creative world’s the same as normal portals. Allow every creative world owner to have one free creative-survival portal so the owner can get to survival and back for free and allows people from survival to visit the creative world’s. Then since this portal is unique it solves the portal size issue, so it can track where you entered creative. This will allow the devs to make to so any portal that isn’t the one you entered from will bring you back to where you did enter from, and then combine @lucadeltodecso idea of adding an interact with the portal so you can choose to pay a warp cost to come out at the actual portals exit point if you don’t want to exit where you entered. I don’t see how this won’t solve every issue.

1 Like