Thoughts on the impact of a creative ecosystem

That I understand, but that has nothing to do with a network that is limited to lower tier planets which is what was possible with what I proposed. You would have to use a survival network to get to anything above a tier two planet.

Could work without beds too, just have people curl up to take a nap

Maybe it could leave their body there, and people could interact with the sleeping people to join them in their dreams

If you don’t want people to follow you into your dreams, you have to take a nap in a secure location. Just like inception!

Glad you like my voucher idea!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

/nap to enter dream world lol

Yup

It could give you a menu of all creative worlds

We could call it our home beacon!

I think it makes sense to give everyone a second home location with creative coming out

Oh wow this blew up.

Right I mean actual hunts, eventually titans, etc …

Community building and building contests are one thing for sure. I don’t know why anyone would hunt for no loot or drops, etc… but it seems to come up that people will like survival drawbacks in creative for various reasons so I’m definitely not arguing it.

As far as exos, if it’s a primarily creative player I’m not sure they would have any need/desire for that. Again other than hunting, or eventually titans.

Would this be the warp cost between the actual portal destination and your entry location, or something calculated based on blinksecs from the current creative orbit/location?

I appreciate this comment. I stated earlier (buried somewhere in this thread) that I can definitely understand why a developer would want to find a smooth way to achieve this. It does, however, seem like a bit of a puzzle.

Now I see why the thread blew up :grinning: Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts on this. IT’s an interesting exercise but mostly all the banter between us players feels like killing time while we wait to see what you guys decide to deploy. The insight is appreciated.

This is good. An ability to “craft portal token” just like the current “craft location token” could be used for creative side portals, then you just have to put it in a set of blocks that matches the destination blocks.

Hmm this might also require a new tab or feature to “Save portal location” rather than just saving coordinates like a warp location now. In either case if we have direct portals there will definitely have to be some system to address this. If it’s just a one way inventory transit there are edge cases like going to creative with a full inventory, and forgetting and trying to carry back a token.

Getting them back and forth is still an issue. No dev has revealed anything about this that I’m aware of so I have no idea what (if anything) they have in mind for this yet.

100% agree if this can be used to bypass even a significant (lower or higher tiers only, regional only, whatever) portion of a survival network, there are players that would rather rent planets for cash to run a network than hunt oort in game to run one.

Right however if this is the case, “creative only” players will find themselves frequently in the survival universe to do anything other than build. Including visiting other creative planets. Survival → creative → creative → survival with a strict one blinksec limit on creative → sruvival links will still enable networks, unless portal distances on the creative side are strictly limited.

I did propose this earlier as well, or at least one planet per region. As far as I can tell it’s lumped together with any idea that involves transit on the survival side. Basically after having been told that seamless integration is possible, it seems like a lot of players ‘can accept nothing less’.

Just a few weeks ago it seems to have been commonly accepted that when creative eventually came it was going to be an entirely separate experience :man_shrugging:

This seems like the least disruptive mechanic so far. It does lead to other questions such as how does the creative experience start, how do you get to the planet you’re trying to reach for the first time, and a couple of others. So it’s not a standalone solution, either.

IMO this is where the sanctum/dream systems win out over intermediate planets.

A creative home makes sense, not just 2 that can be used as 2 creative or 2 survival. Right?

It would be elementary in a separate universe. But it seems useful even if they’re merged in some way. Since, as it stands, there’s an expectation that creative ↔ creative portals would be unlimited, perhaps there’s no reason to charge for creative ↔ creative warps either?

I think it’s assumed creative to creative warps are free

1 Like

Luca, since Creative is different from the rest, is it possible to add a portal just for Creative?
Make the portal a fixed size & it should match the golden Creative mode UI.

Buy a creative planet > get unlimited plots + free portal(pair…one entrance, one exit) that can be placed anywhere in the Universe.
It doesn’t need fuel or a token. You could recall it back anytime from your Creative mode control beacon.

3 Likes

I’m guessing this is only to make it clear that you are going to creative right?

Cause that doesn’t fixes the oort free network problem

If devs or some one in the comunity finds a way to let both things exist together I think that would make a great difference between other games.

2 Likes

Yes, I think it needs to be obvious to everyone that the portal goes to a Creative world - so ppl aren’t shocked when their inventory is gone/switched & they have no coin.

You only get one portal, so how would this cause problems? If everyone decides to put their portal in one area, that’s their choice :woman_shrugging:

It does create a streamlined way for any creative to survival portal to return you to the last spot you were at in the respective universe.

One of the (possibly technical) objections Luca has raised to this mechanic in another thread is that it’s not reasonable to enter, for instance, a 2x2 portal on the creative side, and find yourself back at the 3x5 or 1x2 portal that you had originally used to leave survival.

Having a singular format for survival to creative portals would allow a mechanism similar to that offered by a separate set of warp blocks in the sanctum. But it would allow skipping any transition through a trip to the sanctum, or the dream realm, or whatever.

I like the notion that if it’s in a fixed format, it could also be something not easily compared to a set of portal conduits, like the circular portal in @majorvex’s concept art.

If the networking problem is addressed by having an automatic return to your point of entry, there is no reason to limit the number of portals. With the setup proposed there they could return to the “unlimited free portals” they teased earlier.

1 Like

The Stargate like (circular) portal please!

3 Likes

I was gonna say NMS

1 Like

I love the round/circle portal. A fixed size (3x3x1)

Love the series

2 Likes

Where do you think NMS got the idea from? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this is No Man’s Stargate?

Honestly though we could even have plain, stylish and ornate versions craftable with various materials on the survival side so that you could, you know, get creative with your creative portals.

This seems like a promising idea.

Additionally, they could be activated with a different mechanism, enabling something that people have been asking for in the survival game for some time, which is several “entrances” leading to a single “exit”.

Say you put up a portal on the creative side, and the interface gives you something like a key code. Somebody could set up a creative portal unit on survival and activate it with the given key code.

Then when you enter through the survival side, you exit at the intended portal on the creative side. And when you exit any creative portal, you just come out at whatever survival portal you used to enter the creative universe.

@lucadeltodecso maybe this is something that can help with several facets of the issue?

If they did something similar to, on survival worlds, when you have a portal token in your inventory, there just be a little option, “Copy to Creative” so when you are on the creative world there would be a menu with the portal token copy so you could open between the two

Or vice versa, a creative token copied to survival

1 Like