Skill Sets are ridiculously angering off new customers

I understand and obviously a lot of people’s experience tells them that skills are shared instead of allocated. If they change that now what does that do to alts? If I create an alt is it now the same level as my main? Alts can earn cubits so even as I ask the question I worry that it might not be a good idea.

The easier way to do that is buy the cleanse points, 300 cubit can give you 10 points to spend.
and i think skill set is around 600 cubits, so equal to 20 cleanse points.
20 cleanse point + ur level up bonus cleanse points, i don’t think you need to buy the other skill set for that kind of switching.

1 Like

You would have to spend cleanse points each time you wanted to craft a tier 5 (not in game yet) tool, weapon or tech, if you had the wrong specialization.

It would eventually run out. With skill sets, you can switch freely between the three specializations as early as level 33.

And still have 17 levels worth of skill points to use on other things (like decoration crafting) before even getting to 50. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mostly those skills u mention are epic skill, so only 1 cleanse point require ( even the skill cost 5 points).
Also usually i do mass craft at once, so personally i don’t need to switch that much between foods / gears.

Why are skills either/or in the first place? Just let me earn everything for ny character instead of jumping through these dumb hoops

1 Like

to promote diversity in the game.

same as other rpgs.

there’s a reason a warrior typically can’t cast spells and use a bow.

Well this why i feel the patch release for the skill set / forge are the worse patch they made.
(That patch change the color / lighting of the game / announce the forge system / announce the skill set system)

1. Lighting change still need to fix ( too saturated right now T_T)
  2. forge system is a system really hard to balance in the future
    ( right now is way to strong, but if you nerf it, it will become very useless)
  3. the skill set system is really confusing new players, and you still need to create alts to do all the other works before you reach level 100.
    (which is still not improving to the goal they said as you can create multi build in one character)
    Especially when you realize most EA players still have 3-5 alts to approach the best results.

I did that until I realized it made no sense.

1 Like

Why can’t I use plate armor as a rogue character in medieval mmos? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s pretty much a standard trope in gaming that characters can only be ‘the best’ at one thing at a time.

Just get rid of it altogether and increase the max amount of alts people can have. As it is now, it’s pretty much pointless except for very specific players and very specific cases.

This isn’t other games. There is exactly one goal in the game: Build stuff. There are far too many things that get in the way of that goal

Not everyone shares that goal.

Some people want a lego set, some people want a game.

Edit: And another subset of people wants a balance between the two, sometimes skewed in one direction or the other. :stuck_out_tongue:

If all you want to do is build you should complain that you need to break blocks to get materials. That just gets in the way of building, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

Not to get too far off topic but I am also not a fan of the new lighting. The glare has caused me to die a few times when I could not see an open one block hole or the cuttle was smart enough to hid in the glare. I am not fond of the forge for different reasons.

As for skills sets and alts. I think you are right, most people are using alts for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. I know I am using 3 so far. And with the level of complaints I think it is obvious that new players are confused and that it needs to be addressed. Be interesting to see if there are any changes with the release tomorrow.

We will have new patch tomorrow ?

1 Like

Even though all I am really interested in doing in boundless is building, I do have to point out even the website does offer crafting, hunting, shopkeeper and explorer as roles. So there need to be a balance between these roles in my opinion.

We are supposed to. They were testing it today for a tomorrow release. Of course if the release has issues it might get pushed off.

That’s definitely not my only goal in this, and as things are right now, you have more than enough skill points to be the best at buildin’ anyhow.

I don’t mean to be a jerk, because I’m loving the game…but what else is there? There is no story, no bosses, no plot arc. You kill critters to get resources to build stuff. You sell things to get money to buy things to build stuff. You break rocks and mine so you can build stuff.

The problem, as I see it, is you have to be able to have at least three full skill sets or alts to get to end game which is all the tech unlocked…which, IMO, is where the game really begins, building without restrictions

1 Like

I like exploring and mining just for the sake of both. And with farming, I’ll definitely have a farm!

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, building is an important part of the game, but just building wouldn’t make for much of a game, it would be kinda like playing with an online version of magical voxel.

Which may sound wonderful to some people, but probably wouldn’t appeal to a very large audience.

Personally, I don’t do things because they’ll allow me to build, tho I do enjoy building sometimes. I do the other non-building activities because I find 'em fun by themselves, regardless of rewards. I understand that everyone has a different focus, of course, but ideally all aspects of the game should be as fun as possible for the people that like them.

Back to the topic, for example: figuring out interesting combinations of skills is something that is interesting to me. I find it fun in a powergamey sort of way. And that’s why I like the additional options provided by having skill sets. They just need to be explained better before a purchase. In my opinion, removing them completely would make the game less interesting.

1 Like