"SkySaga: Infinite Isles" VS "Boundless"

if I remember correctly, I think that was an uncommon trophy head from a monster kill loot drop. Not sure, its been a while. THATS one more reason dimensions burnt me out… that farming for dimension items, and all that auction house shopping to try and buy something I needed to complete builds.

1 Like

Ah c’mon you guys, I just wanna be friends! Why y’all gotta be like that?! :sweat:

Also, consider this an open invitation to set up at the Berlyn capital if you would like. We will be naming it soon, and I want suggestions from all Berlyn residents :wink:

7 Likes

Hahahahah!! I actually LOL’ed at that reply! :joy:

Also: HAIL HYDRA!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also, welcome to the community!

6 Likes

Yessirree, I most definitely will! :wink: Thanks! :grin:

I guess after everyone played Minecraft to their heart’s content, we were all seeking something “more”, or at least that is how it is in my case. And in particular, ever since Mojang announced that there would be an official “Adventure Mode”, many players including myself, speculated and fantasized about the potential of adding adventure to the sandbox, with solid RPG elements, progressable characters, different weapons and armor, more loot, more generated buildings, interactable NPC’s and lore and cutscenes to tie it all together.

Alas, Mojang weren’t able to deliver on our wishes, so everyone went elsewhere looking for the next big thing in the Voxel-obsessed sandbox-crazed community. I had known about Terraria quite a while, but it didn’t push my buttons in the same way Minecraft did - at that time. Instead I went on ahead and gave Creativerse a whirl. And let me tell you: I still think it is among the better looking and more comprehensive clones out there, and I don’t regret spending countless hours on it. Creativerse definitely brought something new and exciting to the plate. But sadly, it got to a point where it too had lost it’s replayability, and I left the game and haven’t returned since, even though there supposedely has been a huge update some time after I left and never looked back.

The reason is simple: I was still eager to discover a clone with RPG elements, adventure, quests, mystery! And that is when I finally gave Terraria a shot. And boy was I surprised at how indescribably awesome it is once you get the hang of it! And even though the lore is non-existing, it still packs a solid punch in terms of adventure, and really brings alot of new original features to the world of sandbox-games. But when I finally managed to finish the game, it left me craving for more sandbox-games with RPG-elements. And that’s when I discovered Oort Online.

But it’s literally taken years before I finally decided to finally buy it, only hours ago. And between me discovering Boundless and actually going through with the purchase, I also discovered Portal Knights, but that didn’t quite hit the spot either. Perhaps I didn’t give it the time of day, but something about it just felt… Off. But then, out of the blue, I discovered SkySaga: Infinite Isles, through a Facebook ad actually, and decided to apply for alpha testing. And that is probably the best decision I’ve ever made. It is probably the best voxelbased sandbox game I have played thus far, in every possible aspect. And now that the game has entered Beta, and the servers have shut down untill the developers are ready to launch Beta-servers, I am finally ready to give Boundless the attention it so desperately deserves, because I am certain it can become something else entirely, doing what SkySaga doesn’t. :wink: Can hardly wait to explore Boundless even further!

3 Likes

I really enjoyed reading your posts and thoughts on the game. I played the game briefly about a year back, then returned a few days ago.

Regarding your thoughts on the general shapes and textures on the game, I think it may be a matter of the style needing to grow on you (or for you to decide it’s just not your thing), versus being unfinished. They seem to have a general style and feel they’re aiming for, which the style of blocks you’re describing is part of. I’m not saying they’re not planning on polishing things – they surely are – but I think at this point, they’re already refining a decided-upon style.

There are a ton of locations that you can visit, if you want to go sight-seeing – if you dig through the forums, there are lots of posts about portal/warp locations that include coordinates. There’s at least two cities / cities-to-be that are recruiting people to come build near them, too, that I’ve seen since I returned. The fact this game has community-building built in from the start, with portals and trading plinths and etc., is a huge point for it, for me.

Best of luck – and if you’re like me and can’t find stuff on the forums because you fail at search terms, just post and ask, because you’ll get answers – or at least a point to where it’s answered – in no time.

4 Likes

O RLY? :smiley: thanks for the info! It seems as though I chose the perfect time to invist, now that exciting times for Boundless seems right around the corner! :grin:

And thanks for the warm welcome! :blush:

2 Likes

After reading this I instantly had to look up the games you’re mentioning here lol… :stuck_out_tongue:

How long has Rift existed? I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember that I once discovered an MMO way back in the day with same name and logo-design, only back then it didn’t support building stuff…? It was strictly MMORPG of sorts…? :thinking: either way, judging by the videos I found on YouTube; I don’t think it would satisfy my criterias nor urges, even though I must say the graphics seemed smooth and appealing. :wink:

Not really sure what ESO stands for though…? I might appear pretty stupid for asking, but uhm… Is it a slang for something? :flushed: not the most up to date kinda guy when it comes to urban slang, so it wouldn’t really surprise me if it were lol! :sweat_smile: or did you by any chance mean ECO? Cuz I’ve had my eyes on that game too for a while! https://youtu.be/EzGpWWX0rXU

And finally, Empyrion… I like the fact that someone took a chance and made this game into something unique that seperates itself from stock. But as you said yourself: I prefer a more fantasy-approach as well, so I’m pretty sure I won’t ever try this… :wink:

Alchemist’s Awakening seemed nice though! :thinking: I believe I need to follow and wishlist that as well so that I may keep an eye out for it, because as it stands, or at least from the impression I was given by watching the miscellanous videos on YouTube, it feels like that game too has a long way before it seems remotely playable/enjoyable… :confused:

Thanks for bringing me more games to keep a lookout for! :wink:

My guess is ESO = elder scrolls online.

1 Like

Aw @Havok40k, you’re awesome! Are we not allowed to wreak awesomeness across Boundless :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

As @Dzchan94 has mentioned ESO = Elderscrolls online and it has not building elements. I just went back to it coz I played it when it first launch but all the gold sellers destroyed the game back then. Dungeons were so camped out by the gold sellers that I had an extremely hard time trying to complete the kill the boss quest at the beginning levels.

Yes, Rift once upon a time used to be like an MMO like WOW or Everquest except with a nice twist to the classes by allowing for every player to be able to switch classes on the fly and have different builds to each classes. Each character is allowed a mixture of 3 classes but still limited to the classes available to the role you have chosen. Each role has a number of classes available for you to mix and match. Then I think a couple of years ago they added in the Dimensions thingy. You get a basic dimension free, a small one with a small item limit, I think 500 or something like that, but you only start out with a limit of like 50 items I think, can’t remember; I am just pulling numbers out of the air atm. There are dimensions that has items limit of up to 2500, and in order to hit that limit it costs plat (yes, not just gold, its plat). Not to mention, some of the dimensions cost diff amounts of plat to acquire from other players. Dimensions are just a plot of land with some pre-build stuff inside, like it could be a castle, or open land with mountain ranges, ect. Dimension items are like general household stuff you can get, but the nicer stuff needs to be “morphed” like there is no such thing as a couch. The couch you see are a combination of items put together, some of them can take upwards of 50 items or more to make (yes, all that for just one couch). In fact, in most of the pictures, you see stuff that has been morphed to look like the normal things around your home (except its fantasically glorified).

1 Like

Hey there. I’m new as well, been lurking since it was called Oort and not sure about getting it, reviews were too undecided. I’m from SkySaga as well and enjoyed it a lot until they suddenly forced the recipe-color-thing in the last Alpha. Looking for a voxel game that is more about building and crafting and not forcing me to adventure. I’ve a stressful job, no need to have competition and adrenaline in my spare time too!
I’ve played (and bought) Creativerse as well but burned out, there is little interaction between people, mostly everyone does their own build and then you grind food or materials to replace equipment. I’d like a voxel game where I can farm (literally, think Farmville) and fish or mine without being killed or attacked and provide goods people come to you to buy. Think Wurm with voxel but without the insanely repetitive grind and die-from-critter danger basically - or Salem without Permadeath and voxel (instead of pre-made structures). I hope Boundless is more like that?

3 Likes

Well, I can say that if you were expecting Boundless to be a 100% safe game and no death ever, its not going to happen. At the moment you can still die from being attacked by creatures, and falling damage; but said creatures will not mob you every few minutes, and depending on which planet you are on. If you are the starter planet and the one after that you will still get attacked but every once in a while, more often on the planet that is the next level up. Having said that, I am on the 2nd tier planet but I can most of the times go through hours without being attacked by anything while building or mining. And, there is no farming in the game currently, I do not know if there are plans for it. Trading currently in the game is minimal because there is no real way to make more coins, you get coins from leveling up thats it. Once you hit max level in all your professions there is no other way to make any more coins, so you are maxed capped at a certain amount for coins atm. Don’t get me wrong, trading does happen, hence the existence of player made markets atm like Therka market and Pixel Gate, but it will probably be nothing like any other more established MMO out there atm. The game has quite a few similarities with Creativerse where blocks and building are concerned, but nothing similar in the way hostile mobs are spawned atm. Have a look at some of the youtube videos available and it should give you a better idea, just keep in mind the date of the videos when looking at them. The more recent ones will give you a clearer idea of the way things are atm.

1 Like

@Jacra

Yeah, Boundless is definitely not a death-free zone, but even a scaredy-cat such as myself can take on some basic spitters. As far as I can see now, nothing attacks you in caves besides gravity and accidentally un-clicking your grapple when you are hanging over lava.

Again, this is an early release, so they may be adding some features like farming later on, but atm its more of a hunter-gatherer existence. Wildstock and Spitters for meat/tallow and leaves for Starberries.

With Boundless (hence the name) you do a fair bit of adventuring to get cool blocks like red stone and ** gleam ** to decorate your build, but you can still find a good variety on basic worlds such as igneous rock which is purple. You can also refine blocks to make them look more processed than just stones and give them cool decorations. All those blocks are completely unnecessary unless you really want them, and you can just stick to base worlds.

If you are going to want opulent builds with lots of variety and gems and all that fancy stuff, you will have to travel to a high tier planet or trade/deal with another player for necessary blocks.

Ooh… I just remembered another difference between Creativerse and Boundless. In Creativerse, you could just suck up water to gain a water block. You can’t do that in Boundless (“yet”, I hope). You cannot get a water block using game mechanics at the moment.

If you check out Steggs101’s pool video, you will see him use a “water bucket”. Looks like they are already working on a way for us to carry/manipulate water. It’s not quite craftable yet, I think, but the idea is already in-game.

1 Like

I’m not expecting a no-death-ever game. But I’ve played permadeath games because of the building and terraforming options and that was not my thing it turns out … :smiley: And Minecraft the Endermen spawning into my home were giving me heart attack too or how dangerous it got at night.
And in Skysaga I don’t enjoy that I need to farm for many month recipes so the colors fit together - plus the resources of the correct colors before I can start building what I want. Don’t get me wrong, I think the color scheme idea is great, but the grind they recently enforced by adding color-restricted recipes is definitely not.

After spending some hours in Boundless I can say I enjoy the danger level so far, the occasional spitter is really not a big deal and if you do die you don’t even seem to drop something? What I found frustrating is the lack of a tutorial. I died several times because I tried to put meat into a crucible by dropping it - because it did not say anywhere that a furnace consists of two parts and only if both parts are crafted and assembled correctly is it a working furnace/oven…
And I have a very hard time finding copper and ancient tech fragments. I’ve found tons of soft coal, even found some silver and hard coal seams. But no idea what I’m doing wrong, especially concerning the ancient tech fragments. I’ve climbed mountains, dug blindly into stone, went for a few hours exploring caves and got exactly 2 so far within more than 4 hours searching. :confused: I’m on Berlyn btw.

that will change I guess; there is this skill called Death Penalty and the name would suggest it lessens player’s losses on death

1 Like

It seems there are a lot of us Minecraft vets drooling for boundless, I can Say for sure this game is everything we MC vets hace dreamed of, plus the comunity is AWESOME, my best wishes to all !!!

7 Likes