Smart stacks

Hey all.

I’ve been wondering if it has been mentioned at all in the past or not but… locking smart stacks with filters maybe?

Would be nice to know my stack is locked to a certain color and only the stuff I want will go into it other than manually dropping everything everywhere all the time.

Hope i’m not beating a dead horse or anything , just throwing it out there.

3 Likes

That would be a useful idea indeed, for now (you might know this already) but if you just split your pile between all 9 slots, the only thing that will enter that smart stack will the that particular colour/item :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The feature Ovis mentions was a great quality of life improvement added a couple months ago and suffices for most of my use cases when storing items.

There are a couple places it frustrates me. When a smart stack reaches 900, the overflow will behave weirdly. It will stack into anything it can find, even if that thing is another type of material. And when you pick up the first of a type, it will smart stack instead of make its own stack. This is really annoying when you have a lot of one timber type in your bag for building, and chop down another accent color. It will hide in the stack of the first type instead of forming its own.

I personally would like if those materials instead formed a new stack (and only resorted to smart stacking across types if I was out of space) but there are so many edge cases, who knows if this will be similarly first-world-annoying in some other use case.

I pretty much never want the smart stack to mix types unless it’s the absolute last resort though. Or I’ve physically opted in to the behavior by mixing types manually.

2 Likes

I must say stacks have gotten a lot smarter, must give love to the devs for that!

I agree, if i have a new smart stack in my inventory and drop it in storage, I’d like the stack to move as a unit where possible instead of dribbling a few pieces into any other similar non-full stacks (yup also have this problem in my wood section @a13o).

Other than that i usually prime my storage for things like iron & copper so that i have singles in each slot as @Ovis does inside his stacks, so when i shift click a stack into storage it has appropriate slots to dribble items correctly.

Again, must reiterate that stacks are already waaay smarter and thanx for the attention they’ve received so far!

2 Likes

This is the exact reason my crafting tables are still full of stone. Im dreading emptying all of them :weary:. Though the last smart stack update helped, its still a pain

Here’s a tip I use to tame smart stacking when mining! After you get 1 of each type of block on the planet, break them apart into their own stacks immediately. If you know what the dominant type of rock is going to be (usually you get 10 SS of 1 type of rock and only 1 or 2 of the others) then split them apart now into their own stacks of 1 rock.

Now you can go back to single-handedly Death Star Lasering out the side of a mountain without worrying about your rock types mixing!

2 Likes

Did you mention this in one of your vids?

Dont remember where i stumbled upon this before but it made thing my life sooo much easier :+1::heart:

Also

:joy:

Yea I do that , but it would be nice to just have a lock button that did this for us :wink:

It is an MMO, theres lots of steps. Making each step a little less tedious is essential for these types of games. My opinion of it after playing MMO’s since the late 90’s…

Yea easier to just make another crafting room and pick them out as you need them to refine , lol.

Right now my solution to smart stacking is just plugging my mouse and keyboard in when I want to do a big session of inventory flow.

Except they all have so many different colors mixed into their smart stacks its easier to just store them. I’ll probably suck it up and do it today :confused:

I use the basic crafting machines to sort stuff. I put the big mess in my inventory, then open the machine designated for say dark green refined stone, and put only the color I want in there. I’ve given up on sorting on the go.

1 Like

Hell even if they just put this option on storage blocks… and certain ones were dedicated to certain colors and item types

Could use request basket style color filters for shelving… that’d help a lot, if some shelves only accepted certain items.

Yeah, the ‘sorting’ system needs work bad. Smart stacks are dumb as hell right now. It could be fixed easily by allowing you to switch between two modes when moving items: perfect and messy. Perfect would only allow exactly the same items to form stacks or enter stacks. Messy would still be useful for hauling resource runs and would basically be what we have now. Just add a little tab or something in the inventory screen.

I still want them to make an advanced auto-sort storage type.

I just want a sort button that resorts evrything

2 Likes