Sovereign worlds that have an open portal should be accessible by everyone

When you keep your world locked down I can’t see it in the sky, but when you give permission to visit the world, the planet becomes visible. That’s a cute solution.

Unfortunately that stops working as soon as you open a portal to the survival world (or a bridge). I wanted to check out some of these new planets and the that was the first portal I found in the PS network. No permissions for world. That’s cuttlepoo.

As soon as you open a portal, or a bridge, to the survival universe the planet should automatically give can visit and can mine permissions to everyone. Of course, plotting would not be allowed. But if you want to keep your planet to your self, which I’m totally fine with, the game should also keep it hidden from me.

Don’t show me what I can’t have, please.

5 Likes

I had the same experience today. It was not nice. But we also had locked doors on interesting builds since launch.

I see the decision here more on the side of the hub providers to disallow locked portals in their rules if they so choose. But I think having the ability to have a personal portal to a private non public world should be possible. The question, if they should be in public hubs is up to the hub providers to decide, imho.

6 Likes

Several things are going to change with this update, and the game is going to be a lot less satisfying for compulsory “completionist” types. I think this is unavoidable. Do locked doors and other people’s homes give you this feeling in real life?

These are private worlds. You can’t disallow someone from interoperating with their world because it makes you basically envious.

Hundreds of people could have access to this planet. The hub provider/owner might be the planet owner. This is a portal leading to a planet in a hub, it’s not wasted space.

9 Likes

Maybe the game could have a warning. “Cannot gather” I warped to a world only to find that I could look but not touch anything. So, a wasted augment and conduit…not that big a deal, but it would be nice to know before-hand.

3 Likes

Could show icons or something on the UI while looking at the planet maybe or the portals.

7 Likes

Maybe they opened it so they can transfer stuff from their base, then plan to open it to the public?

Portal hubs might want to ask non-accessible rental planet owners to only use personal portals & not the main area ones :woman_shrugging:

Players have had the ability for a long time to have a portal that’s not accessible by others though.

3 Likes

The same thing has always been possible before Sovereigns. Just put a locked door on the other side of the portal. I have seen multiple portals that did that.

I think it is really up to the portal hub owners. If they do not like “private” portals, it is on them to enforce it. If they do that though, they will either need to block people from using their hub (bad solution) or add a “private” portal area (takes a lot more effort for the hub owners).

7 Likes

Its not much diffetent than going through a portal into a locked room. Its all how you decide to handle it. Cutting off private worlds from making portals isn’t in the cards.

8 Likes

Make the portals different colors
Red if you can’t access them
Purple for creative

7 Likes

Maybe any non-public portal should be red?

4 Likes

Actually it is. A portal to a locked room could be bump-warped out of. A portal that outright refuses to let people through, however, prevents bump-warping into spaces one shouldn’t be.

I like the idea. It could be a fringe effect to keep the portal color intact:

grafik

7 Likes

They are sovereign worlds.

I don’t think a whole planet should be visible connected to the main universe when there is no way to visit it. That just doesn’t feel right to me. I’ve created this thread to discuss this because I think that these no permission portals are bad for the game. It gives “you’re not welcome” vibes with these payed for, hidden of, sanctuaries.

1 Like

so is this the new salty issue we going for? really…such a disappointment really a shame

maybe boundless needs to close entirely for 2 weeks to give everyone a break lol xD

5 Likes

It makes sense that permissions might affect the color of a portal, that’s a good idea.

Forcing a world to public because someone wants a portal is pretty harsh.

You’re not wrong about that. It’s literally true. The same as any ‘sovereign’ space in the real world. Whatever control my rental gives me over my house, you could call it ‘private’ or ‘sovereign’ but just because I have a door facing a street doesn’t mean I should have to allow any person walking by to explore.

Right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A color change or other indicator might be nice and would save some people 1-2 seconds scanning a portal to see if it’s usable. When I got to this thread it was just the first two posts and I was pretty taken aback by the tone.

4 Likes

It’s not about the portal I can’t use. The screenshot I posted is basically saying: There is this awesome world I payed for and there is no way for you to visit it. Why does the game have a mechanism for others to stick it to me: Hey, look, I payed money for this world and you can’t see it.

I never understood why people build something in an MMO not to be seen but to each their own. You can still reach the planet this portal leads to. That’s totally not the same.

I can’t really see the difference between a red portal and a portal with a permission denied message on it. :slight_smile:

But you can’t just block me from using the street. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the color could be different before the portal is loaded. How would the client know anything about the portal before it loads it?

:pensive: it’s always something causing an issue.
This is why we can’t have nice things guys.

7 Likes

Permissions are set by the founder/owner/operator of the planet. They paid for the planet to come into existence. It has been known for months that this is a perk.

Some of us won’t have access to some of the rental planets. That’s the way it is. It’s a perk/incentive afforded to the renter of the planet.

In most games, you have to get a password code from the server owner to join if they don’t open it to the public.

2 Likes

Maybe some portal hubs could place a sign with a :no_entry_sign: if it’s not publicly accessible?
emoji code # 1F6AB

2 Likes

I agree with the sentiment that the game is changing and this is just one of the changes players will have to get used to. If someone has a guild planet and wants to restrict it to the small or large number of guild members, why should they have to hide their portal or not place it in a hub so they have easy access to it? As long as the players running the hubs are ok with it, then is it really up to the rest of the community to tell them how to run their hub? I fully expected there to be planets, portals, and bridges That I will not have access to. As soon as they set up the no visit permission, it was inevitable.

3 Likes