Square Enix Collective no longer publishing Boundless

Yup I agree those are certainly viable. I think if the update was viable it would have been released. There is some reason he hasn’t otherwise he darn well would have - their policy was always to release something if they could and to cut parts of the update out if they could. They haven’t done this so there is a clear reason.

Right now this is where I am at:

1. What they’ve been communicating is clear - BG3 impacted their time line severely and when that is done they will be able to shift a resource back to Boundless or as Covid kind of disappears they are finally able to get that focused headcount they want on the game.

2. We still have the Sony deal (which I have no data on when that agreement expires). So until that is cleared up I’m not sure how things move forward unless the financials do sink the boat. But, I agree with Vex that now that SE is out of the picture at least money is directly flowing to them. Additionally, in EA they used a lot of outside development with other companies to fund the game. So they could go back to that.

I guess the financials will only prove out over the next few months… either they sink or swim. I for one, will just continue to play and enjoy every moment I can since that is what is important to me… I’ll pray for an update and that they do get the “at home universe” working fully so the game could go away from perm planets and still survive…

2 Likes

With one post in regards to MY post on the Larian forums?

There is little communication so NOTHING is clear.

3 Likes

He made a post about it. Turbulenz supporting Baldur's Gate 3 development 🛡

Also, there is something being added/tested/worked on in the past week -

4 Likes

You are aware that James works for Larian UK now

LARIAN STUDIOS UK LTD people - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

So I am not sure how it works that BG3 being complete has anything to do with Boundless development picking up unless James is going to do this in his spare time. Most of the rest of the former Wonderstruck team also work directly for Larian UK. So unless they quit and rejoin Wonderstruck there are no resources to shift around.

2 Likes

I have had multiple permanent jobs, and still managed to maintain control of my own, private limited company.

Working two jobs just means annoying tax nonsense, @Kal-El, that’s all.

Clear?

Last I heard, he never said they would “shift back to Boundless”, that’s what WE’ve been hoping they’d do.
I mean, how many devs from the original Wonderstruck team are still around to work on the game?

2 Likes

I will strongly disagree with that. If that was the case, why are we still waiting for the release?

1 Like

Yeah, I think this pushes my thinking even closer to what I mentioned previously.

Sorry I snapped back a bit too harsh.

Thanks for clarifying. I have never been happy about their lack and stated it many times pretty clearly in the forum. I agree clarify and transparency would have been better through all of this especially since it was causing people to leave. If I was able to talk to James right now I would be saying that the total silence was a mistake.

As I said I talked a lot with him via voice and we discussed how they approach stuff and what he thinks and believes and how he makes his decision. So I felt I knew him well in this regard. Once I saw in the beginning of all of this how they approached “communication” I was willing to accept their decision. This is because it is THEIR decision and whether I agree with it or not, they have their reasons for it. Nothing was going to be said in the forum that was going to sway him – there is too much history here on how the community responds to posts and how the developers approach things.

So for me complaining about it was just adding toxic noise and driving people away. Instead of felt, keeping people enjoying the game was best for it until the Devs started being active again (if ever). People can certainly share their disappointment and I won’t say that is wrong - I was just trying to advice people that it wasn’t really going to help change things as I saw it.

4 Likes

What do you strongly disagree with, @Kal-El?

That I didn’t have a permanent job (granted, I’m pretty unemployable) or that I also have my own company?

I mean … I did sweet eff all with my company whilst I had the permanent job. Quite rightly, I wasn’t going to take another contract whilst concentrating fully on my main job … that would be sheer craziness.

Well regardless, it’s a wait and see game as it has always been. Nothing has changed communication wise and I don’t expect it to.

So I’ll be waiting hopefully.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, with this news, I now suspect that this may just be the removal of Square Enix logos.

6 Likes

I disagree with the conclusion trying to be made that James and the former Wonderstruck team are working two jobs. It is something you have done and I am sure here are others, but most of the people I know in software development would not have the time for two full time jobs. And if James and team were working two fulltime jobs, why is the release still on hold?

2 Likes

That would make sense.

I mean, if 249 hasn’t been out yet, I’m guessing it’s because their team is missing a bunch of skills required to finish a part of the job.
Square Enix being out ain’t gonna change that magically.

1 Like

LOL. At one point SOE was sold/changed to Daybreak or whatever it was back then and there was this ITTY BITTY statue people who had attended SOELIVE that year received. Like the name of the actual convention was SOELIVE and within the hour of the announcement, that teeny tiny no harm to anyone stature had new graphics. I was like whoa…that’s quite the purge.

Why is that relevant to what I was saying. Stop trying to read into things and make this a “right or wrong” argument or “I know more than you”.

James already said they were trying to “find time to do the update” so clearly it is “during their free time” or at best time that they can charge to the old company. Additionally, he already shared that due to Covid he is having a hard time finding resources. So clearly he is trying to “hire someone” in a more permanent or project based fashion.

At the end of the day, James could be done with the game and just waiting for the Sony deal to end so he can shut everything down. I don’t care because I don’t need to be right about any of this. All I am focused on is playing the game with the last few people that try to find ENJOYMENT from what we have instead of just complaining all the time about the lack of communication and bad decisions by SE and Wonderstruck and Sony for that matter.

I’ve gotten over my disappointment that they decided to take the actions they have over this last year or two unlike many here that keep trying to ramp up the noise and blame someone we all know didn’t handle things like the community wanted.

1 Like

Heh … son of El … I’m guessing that symbol on your chest doesn’t stand for hope. :wink:

OK, so your responses to this seem to be determined to be negative … sorry … ‘strongly’ negative … so I’ll leave our interactions forever more with this:

1. I didn’t say that anyone is ‘working two jobs’ nor did I infer it. :+1:
  2. I’m not ‘trying’ to come to a conclusion. I made a statement of what many folks in the UK (particularly in IT) do.
    I’m literally stating that it’s a legal, and supremely easy, state of being to be in where you permanently do one thing and the other … exists.

Further more … on #2 … neither interact. It’s fabulous, tbh, because it means if/when I finish at the one permanent job, I can immediately take on contract work without having to faff with setting up a PLC.

Have a nice life, Kal. :+1:

no more square name behind game means less eyes on the game

Its relevant because you said

There is no resource to shift back if there is no one working for Wonderstruck. It means that unless people quit and somehow Wonderstruck has enough money to pay salaries and benefits and rent and other costs, development would have to be whenever those interested had time.

That has nothing to do with your ranting in your response to me about a lack of communication. I have said nothing about communication, but if you want me to I shall. Based on my communications with James (which was similar to yours). I would not be surprised at this point if we did not hear anything and not because of the way the forums have reacted to statements made in the past, but because that is just his style in my opinion.

EDIT:
And I can admit I was wrong because James did finally communicate.

I enjoy the game and enjoy it with the other people I play with or run into in the game.

I really don’t mean to complain constantly or make it look as though I personally am attacking anyone in regards to the lack of communication or the reasons chosen to not communicate.

It just poor business and if I didn’t care about this game or it’s community like the rest of those that are left that still play I would have walked away after James replied to my post on the Larian forums as I felt it was simply a response in defense and nothing about the game.

Anyways none of this is about right or wrong and in the end everyone will make their choices about playing the game or not, I was just hoping that a little communication could simply quell some fear and anxiety for the community.

1 Like