Standard in-game time

Don’t need that, add your friends beacon to your list and you’ll see when it’s going to expire directly.

not released

8 Likes

Well I think we’re going to need a few sorts of times anyways. Whether people can chose in game options which time zone they are in and to display that for everything, or whether it’s a set “Oort standard time” in game time.

Would be helpful if chats had times next to them so you can see what time messages were sent to you.

The “Oort standard time” would be good to display somewhere in game to help organise events for multinational guilds (even if it is literally just UTC displayed, it’s easier to implement than doing guild calendars or something complicated that people can do on their own offsite forums).

And seeing times and dates is essential for guild management to see when a member last logged on if you are trying to keep your guild active.

The down side to this is obviously the planets go from day to night much faster than a real day - but really most other games that I’ve played having a real time displayed hasn’t killed any RP immersion for me, it’s been super useful.

6 Likes

i’m necro-ing this topic. it’s a good suggestion and i think this would be good.

as Elop Portas has been built, we’ve foudn that it gets difficult to coordinate

7 Likes

I’m going with ort time which is the same as guildford UK except military time. So right now it’s about 12:50 ort time two hours ago it was 22:50 ort time

3 Likes

Should it not be 00:50 ?

After 23:59 it is 00:00, midnight, the new day is born.

3 Likes

Holy good idea!!! This would be amazing :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes indeed. Good catch.

4 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned before that many MMO’s have both local and server time, so I’m right behind this idea.

Also, the time in Guildford suits me perfectly, as I’m a couple hours drive away! Hah.

6 Likes

Nice ideia! Would be perfect if added as in game (in boundless universe). I love how location marks, friends, server changing and all this stuff is made in game just as part of the universe.

1 Like

Pushing for this again.

Since we now got daily and weekly.

Daily should run out and end at midnight (24:00/00:00) in game time.

7 Likes

+1

I play in windowed mode for 2 reasons:

• Clock
  • Forums

Having a GMT-based clock on-screen would be great, and have me in full-screen mode more.

3 Likes

oops did not notice this pos (did not come up in similar posts)

I made a similar thread … i would love to see Oort Time + it would add imersion if say certain mobs were more agressive at certain times?

This in-game time would as people have said - help organize parties/meetings/ etc

1 Like

Maybe it would be possible to enter time, and it would be converted to show correctly in the recievers client?
Then everyone should see the time correctly in their own format, as long as the client is configured correctly.
In that case I guess you would need some specific syntax or similar so the time gets interpreted, or maybe a button for adding time into the chat.

Aren’t all planets in different times? As in, their day - night cycles are out of sync?

i am actually talking about an in-game game time… like Oort Mean Time - not RL time

or we could go the MMO route and have RL time set to server location time

Bumping…

1 Like

so as my alt said above Graham-B

o let’s say we call server time oort time meaning… like WoW and etc do server/local time (simply because the time in Boundless moves too fast for an official this is the time within the actual game

So lets say (US is 7 hours behind UK - which is where the servers are based - or they are EU) so lets say e.g its currently 1350 EST but Oort time (server) is 2050 etc…

And YES… we should have some kind of mechanism to check this in-game (i don’t think an actual digital clok of time on the Hud would work exactly (or it would be immersion breaking) due to the nature of the game itself… what about some kin dof time peice like a watch function… or a means to creat one… or maybe even… a Town Clock for cities and etc?

The oly thing is… something l;ike that would be extra code - so on the hud is easiest?

But yes… i am suprised this hasn’t been confirmed yet!

i also think planetary time could work… so lets say the devs set a specific time to a specific planet, but it moves in real time (the time, not the day/night cycle)

then for eg it could be 0800 on berlyn when its 1200 on Munteen - or basically make the planets the times of the servers they represent? (If therka is EU central it should be EU time on therka… if Veena is Aus it should be aus time there etc)

1 Like

I’m used to ingame time since I play Elite Dangerous. There is also a standard time which is GMT (not only because the developers are from UK ^^), so yes yes yes, give us a clock. It’s also great for announcing meetings ingame for people so that they can meet without calculating to much. … Only risk is that you come to work to early or to late in RL cuz you had forgotten that the clock ingame is not YOUR clock (don’t laugh, I had that once cuz of Elite. Had to find a good excuse quickly!! ^^)

4 Likes

Since @Heureka bumped it again, I’ll echo sentiments to use the already existing UTC which never almost never changes…

2 Likes

Bump…
Still confused…

2 Likes