Stupid filter

Maybe try adding spaces to goo
G o o
Kernel

I can see the word out wants to censor, but seems odd to include that in the game when you can’t type or its name in the game!

Lol, none of that works!

It’ll need to be a redesign from me, with a big sign saying kernels and little signs with the types.

Seems like something that could have come up on testing, ahem,ahem, I’m looking at you PC people! :grin:

1 Like

Nope. derogative term being censored.

Also I mentioned this somewhere else before. But it didn’t get a response if it was going to be fixed. Tho I didn’t make a topic just for it. Soo there’s that.

Unless there’s new decor, we don’t usually mess with that on the test server lol

The filter is definitely extreme.

I posted about this the other day. Game item/asset names are even filtered out.
wut5

Maybe make a star wars themed farm, with yoda doing signage. “Kernel of Goo” sounds a bit like a horrible soup, but it should at least work :rofl:

6 Likes

WANTED
More people testing!
Apply within

:smiley:

4 Likes

If only we had testing on PS4.

4 Likes

Have to say tho, that if the devs add new items to the game that they should test it themselves against the filter…

There are many irritating ones actually, I’m Dutch, ‘hoor’ is a verb, comes from ‘horen’ (to hear) but I can’t type it, very annoying. And apparently Dutch people aren’t allowed to get cancer either since the Dutch word for it ‘kanker’ is not allowed…

For such a small team, if they had to test every minute detail after every single change, it would add a considerable amount of time for each release, for which the forums would be in complete uproar with pitchforks aplenty.

Not being able to display a few words is a small issue in the grand scheme of things. The over zealous profanity filter does need a bit of tweaking though, I agree.

2 Likes

Due to multi language support I am assuming all the words that, for instance, appear in the knowdge tab is an easy to extract list which could be run through a script right before release to check against the filter code…

Should not take too much time if done right. Time for the team to hire someone who does those little things I suppose…

i was surprised when i saw this problem in the filter. i haven’t even heard that slur used in years, so i really had to think about it. ive asked several friends and they didnt know, either. it probably doesnt need to be in the filter in the first place.

Wait, that’s a word…? Huh, never heard that word before.

EDIT: Quick google explained it, and that’s definitely surprising to my Danish ears…

I’d imagine they could stop the censor if it’s written “goo kernel”, couldn’t they?

That’s their item name/label for that kernel in the database. That’s not a sign or anything I wrote.

…Huh. That’s definitely a quite strange “Oversight”(?) in the filter. Don’t think it’d be hard to make it block just the intended word, but ignore it with the space left in for just this instance?

I know nothing about programming, but I’d imagine that there was a way to add an exclusion.

This post here?

Edit: I don’t know why it’s being displayed as [wut5], but clicking on the link displays the same image anyway.

I believe it’s censoring “Goo kernel”.

Took me awhile to figure out why it would do that…I’d only heard that term in a couple of old movies.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! My sensibilities are greatly offended. . .

2 Likes

To be fair, you could just refer to them as “Goo Seeds” or “Goo Spawn”, though the latter sounds awfully like innuendo to my foreign ears.