Suggestion: Improve elemental protection food

Protection food in general seems a bit weak at the moment. I’ve been messign with them to see how viable they are for higher tier worlds, and even protection loaves are pretty negligible when it comes to the mobs. It feels pretty bad, since protection food was SO amazing in beta. I’d like to see the food get a little love.

Are you referring to shielding food or invigorating food? I sell both but get few buyers. I personally think invigorating food is awesome. I mean who doesn’t want to double their HP? Especially for tanky builds where you can get over 20,000 hitpoints!

Specifically the shielding. HP food has always been amazing

I haven’t messed with shielding foods too much. I do carry some with me for the higher tier worlds but they don’t send to do much. I’ve been toying with the idea of crafting the elemental ones to see how they fare against elemental critters.

What is it about shielding food that people don’t like? In theory, the shielding loaves and pies should work amazingly well if you already have medium to high resist.

I haven’t tested it too much, but as far as I can tell it only raises kinetic defenses, and not even a substantial amount.

1 Like

This is pretty much what I see. Even with the Protection epic and all protection skills, it doesn’t seem to do much for me. Maybe it’s because I spend a lot of time on T5/6 and the mobs just hit like trains.

I have resisted up to mighty level mobs kinetic attacks with 5/5 and a shielding casserole (lv 2) but not consistently, I just crafted some loaves and will be testing them later to see how they fare on those train worlds :wink:

1 Like

Cool, maybe you can let me know. I changed to the prot. epic, so I should be more survivable

I quickly skimmed this thread so forguve me if its been said already. However i believe we will see the rising sale of these when the higher tier planets come out. It will be a must then with no way around it.

You mean when I said this?! :grin::sunglasses:

1 Like

Alrighty then! After getting my butt mopped by mighty and elite cuttles on Alcyon I’m back with some info. Mainly these

Shielding Casserole adds 20 armor and 10% resistance to BOTH kinetic and impulse resistance and armor

Shielding Loaf adds 70 armor and 20% resistance to BOTH kinetic and impulse resistance.

That being said, without the protection epic i was killed pretty quickly by Mighty Epic(extra shields, movement or hp etc) Cuttles and even faster by the Elites with or without epics. I didnt have the cleanse points to check with the protection epic, but i may be investing in it soon. Considering that one can forge damage onto tools and weapons i feel that the damage epic’s usage may fade with higher level users(my opinion)

I was just writing a separate post when I spotted this so here’s my 2 cents…

I also remember a while back that when the harsh environments where added there was a suggestion that foods and brews might be used as an alternative so as not railroad people down a specific set of skills. I took the time to look into making this stuff recently as I wanted to use my alt for his chisel skills but not spend the skill points on the environment protection. So here’s the problem.

Brews - no brews at all.

Food - can achieve protection level 1-3 (need lvl 5 for T6 or above, or you have the equivalent of a lung full of air), the ingredients for those brews can only really be found on the hazardous worlds (elemental shards), and you need the full food crafting skill set to do it.

This doesn’t really make using ford or brews a viable option in my opinion. I normally don’t advocate nerfing but maybe its due.

1 Like

Another food store owner here! They don’t sell indeed. Well have sold a few in my small shop on a T5 planet but not in my regular shop (where the prices are lower due to tax and other things).

I have, however, tested them out on my sneaky gatherer who didn’g have many points in normal protection (couldn’t see anything at other side of the portal until I ate one of the pies).

So they do work, they can be useful, but not for mining sadly…

1 Like

Nope. They dont seem to give much use at the moment, especially since they take up the food buff slot (no persisting mining 4 u…) Also, were you to use them for hunts and get hit, you lose your ability to breathe if you run out of them - so you better have the local hub saved or its an expensive port home for you.

Think they’ll only really get used once worlds exist that are inaccessible without them. But to be fair thats nothing new to have useless foods, we still have floating foods…

These are foods only good for low level players with small pocketbooks, but they are priced by the millionaire gem hammer crowd. Y’all are playing a different game at the top than us at the bottom. I hem and haw before spending 85c for a healing brew. Definitely not dropping multiple hundred for elemental resistance even though I would love to save the skill points.

I have no idea what mats go into these things but I wouldn’t even consider them until they were in the 25c range.

Alternatively I could figure out how to actually make money in this game… :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly my point.

The way i see it: The game should be balanced around what there already is, not what will be
and at it’s current state, it’s unbalanced.

1 Like

Then you really need to see what is going into those loafs and pies then you will most definitely understand that 25c is not gonna happen!

This is a snippet of an older post, it’s about teaching loafs, but you get the idea:

And these specialty pies need fortfied/purified butter, that’s about 3 to 4 steps to make, costing quite a few mats and fortified stuff needs shimmering orbs as well. A lot of mats go into them, some easy to find but in such large quantities it becomes a time consuming thing as well, others are not easy to find. Also pies need more mats in general and some different ones too as compared to the loafs…

Aha! The price makes sense then. Boundless’s economy will trend towards cost of goods equaling the effort to collect and assemble those goods. In the long run, price will increase correlated with crafting tree complexity moreso than any other indicator. (Raw materials have crafting complexity = 0 so they will only be valued at the time and tools it takes to collect them.)

As you say, is 30 minutes of a noob’s time on Serp worth a high level player coordinating a half dozen disparate mats and assembling them? Nope. Not unless that noob is a high level player’s alt.

I believe in their current state, these elemental protection foods are only effective for powerleveling alts. Only existing players understand how to extract value out of that 30 minutes on Serp and stay alive doing it. That means they should be priced high! Like low-level blue-tier gear in an MMO, or abercrombie clothes for kids.

1 Like

Did someone say pants?
You almost got me to shoot coffee out my nose with this one :rofl: