[Suggestion] Testing 224 - Crop metainfo by looking at crop

Edit: Since the testing update today (224.3?), some of this info has now been added into crops when looking at them. Thank you devs. :+1:

(original post below)

Currently on testing, planted crops don’t tell you what part of the growth phase they’re on.

It could be a good idea to display that sort of information, as well as name of the crop, when within close distance to a crop and looking directly at the crop. Additional information to display would be whether it has been fertilised already or not (I know there’s a visual cue already, but if we end up having large fields it might be easy to lose track of it) and how long is left for full growth.

In summary, displaying the following metainfo when looking at a crop would be useful:

• Name of the crop
  • Expected growth time left
  • Actual current phase/state of the growth
  • Fertiliser status/state (fertilised/not fertilised)
  • Current block bonus/max block bonus from nearby blocks,
    or instead of that
  • Is the crop at maximum yield potential? (maxed/not maxed)

Edit: Added some more potential metainfo to the list.

12 Likes

This.

How do I tell that the plant is ready to harvest? Do I just have to test if it drops the produce, and waste the growth time in case it doesn’t?

3 Likes

Based on all my findings so far, especially in this thread:

I would say that it is vital that the metainfo suggestion I made on the top of this thread here, becomes available to all players, because if the debug info is removed for a live release, both PC players and PS4 players will be in the dark, and if the debug info isn’t removed, PC players will have a clear and unfair advantage over PS4 players.

I don’t think either of those scenarios are good. The best scenario is one where everyone has equal access to information like this.

2 Likes

Yeah I am ok if I don’t now the exact phase (even though I really would like it) but I need to know when it is done or not… I had stuff that looked done but a bit later saw it grow… @lucadeltodecso and @James here certainly is a system improvement we need.

1 Like

At the moment all the crops are designed to look clearly visual different once ready to harvest.

But we’ve also been discussing providing HUD information about the crop status. Clearly it’s something that players should recognise easily.

8 Likes

I’m gonna bump this up again, to suggest that being able to get HUD info on the crop in game is going to be a big deal.

Particularly as the ps4 player don’t have access to debug menus.

I’m sure that everyone will want to optimise their farms, and if that info is presented in debug, it means that PC users have the info presented to them, while ps4 user are left groping in the dark and never sure if they got it right!

@james I meant to reply directly to your post

2 Likes