Suggestions for crafting professions

nah i do tend to have a rather active state of mind, so i do sometimes use arguments for what i think i read if i read something confusing cause of small gramatically error or formulation.

apologies. will try to slow down.

To that I can relate, it’s not easy with slowminded people^^ Although, I feel slightly insulted because I’m pretty proud of my grammar^^

This is just something old i played around with though, im not sure how much of is neccesary in terms of crafting professions. But there needs to be a minimum of 10 or so crafting professions
and to not make things too overpowered like making blacksmithing just 1 thing that can do everything involving metal. because then they need to balance tailoring and most likely add leatherworking and make it one profession

take a look at eso’s crafting, if you have leveled 3 professions, clothing, woodworking and blacksmith you could make everything involving armor and weapons, from cloth to mail to axes to staffs. basically rendering trading useless because it was so insanly easy to max out.

that is what i do not want from oort.

1 Like

You could allow players to select one of each type of profession so if they are bored crafting, they can go fishing or hunting… This may also unlock a sub set of skills depending on your combination, maybe passive skills so you don’t feel like you lost something incase you change one of the two professions.

And maybe a third profession type for adventuring

Mage allows you to use staff
Warrior allows swords/shields, duel swords, ect
Thief uses daggers, throwing knives

Combined classes can be
Thief + hunter = assassin

Passive assassin skill
If attacked by melee attacks, 2% chance to warp behind target and assassinate target.
The animation will have you turn into a log and drop all your items when hit, a cloud of smoke behind them clears to show you with a dagger in their back. Basicly you both die but you revive instantly to pick up all items.

Change the animation a bit and you can use same skill for mage
Explode into flames, watch a phoenix emerge from flames and be revived to gather dropped items.

Other passive skills can include healing, mp regain, stamina recovery, ect

there wont be class restrictions in that sense, that is what they said atleast. and i imagine if they do the skills this way you can level up everything but you need to use alot of time on it.

but making special abilities bound to thse things seems like a waste of energy. although passives are always kinda neat. also insta kill + dropping all items sems less than smart.

Sorry I should use my words better. It was to activate if you die at a 2% chance… Revive + insta death… I also don’t think passive skills should be very OP to just kill some1 without first dying yourself risk vs gain… The active assassin skills could use a sneak up backstab kill.

But you are right this wont allow restrictions this way and it is a bit off topic

For crafting professions, I like the ones mentioned earlier and cannot think of any others needed. I would not mind seeing shops built by these players where they and only they can apply the skills. But what they can make should also depend on the stats of the player and how high of a tier they reached. This way they cannot craft things with tier 3 shards if they are more or less bound. So to master them you also have to level your character.

that is also a fair point of view but the best crafters are not going to be the best fighters, so a person who have invested all of his time in crafting should be able to make the best gear even though he has never left tier 1 and just bought all of the mats rather than him being forced to go up to higher tiers to be able to become the best. no?

but i agree if you have to go up tiers you need to fight a titan, that was a big discussion somewhere else and the devs also mentioned that combat is going to be a big part of progression.

@Zouls and I chatted about this the other night and while I do like the idea of everyone crafting everything, it simply doesn’t make any sense economically. The best fighters are likely to also be the best crafters as they can progress tiers faster and use drops for higher tiered mobs for better gear, etc. While I am not really for locking people into a specific crafting profession because you just might decide bow crafting isn’t for you (commitment issues?), it does keep people from crafting every single thing possible.

Leveling each profession individually by material tier (similarly to MC, sorry :frowning: ) might be a way to go. First build a basic wooden shield, then copper, iron, steel, etc. does keep people from being able to immediately craft end game items, but doesn’t offer much slowdown either if you simply buy the mats. Perhaps crafting a variety of items from each tier offers the ability to move on to different materials. 25 items across several different professions, then move up? I do know that I don’t want to be able to just make basic iron daggers a hundred times over and suddenly be able to craft top-tier weapons (skyrim).

Honestly, just do not see how any economy can work if we can all do all the same things equally well.

Mhmm… that is one of the argument people have. that you just make the same thing again and again, and i honestly do understand why that is a thing.

I really like GW2’s and FF14’s way of doing it.

GW’2 you get almost no exp from crafting what you already know, most of your exp comes from ‘‘discovering’’ new recipes and combinations, meaning that you cannot just make one thing, but rather that you need a ton of different material types so you can learn efficiently.

FF14, have a sort of crafting log, so they do tell you how to make the item wow styles, however the first time you make an item you get something like 100 exp while any time after that you only get 10 exp, meaning that the most efficient is making atleast one of any item when it comes no matter what.

2 Likes

Just a thought the Devs have mentioned in previous posts and vids about how you could have a shop that people come to to buy crystals and ores etc.
I like the idea of having some more realistic crafting professions like cooking, fishing, jewellery, baking as well as the more traditional warrior, Mage, ranger types.

My question would be how would the game make the more realistic professions an attractive proposition as opposed to the fighter type and how could someone make gold and encourage players to Visit their shop to purchase their crafts?

1 Like

Nice questions, however that is the thing. If you want crafting to be a viable part of economy you need to have limitations of one way or another.

The reason for crafting professions and splitting them up would be so that you could level them up and becoming better at that crafting profession, and if you want to make it a valid playstyle that is kinda necessary.

Imagine a system as mentioned above, if you craft enough swords meaning you spent enough time + materials you can make better swords, in this game there most likely wont be unrealistic drop ‘‘pigs drops swords’’ style which means that everything would be playercrafted. Now when a warrior needs a new sword he can either level up his own swordsmithing and make it himself, or he can go buy it from a swordsmith, in the earlier levels most people will prob try to be a jack of all trades and be able to craft everything themselves, however as crafting goes more up and becoming more expensive, most people will settle on being a crafter, some might even give up on fighting and only focus on crafting. those people will be able to make some amazing stuff that the warrior needs, because the warrior can no longer sustain himself meaning everytime he wants a new weapon, he needs to find a weaponsmith, everytime he wants to get a new armor, he needs to find a blacksmith, and so on.

The draw of this system would literally be that the person cannot effectively keep being a warrior unless he buys stuff from other people, if you allow that to happen people can play dedicated crafters because most of the time people would need to uprade their stuff.

Sadly the devs said there would be no crafting professions, or it is not planned atm. so that is a bit of a bummer xD

1 Like

Wait where did they say there would be no crafting professions? q.q
I want to be a random hobo that has a gigantic underground workshop for making stuff and whatnot.

1 Like